“Not a 5 star property” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #144 of 4,324 Hotels in Shanghai
Los Angeles, California
“Not a 5 star property”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I want to start by saying that I have been to Shanghai before and was aware that this hotel was not in the prime location of the Pudong financial district. This was a personal trip and I stayed here because the room rate was almost half that of the InterContinental at Pudong. I have previously stayed at the InterContinental and the Courtyard Marriott in the Pudong area. My feeling was its a 5 star property, how bad can it get? and I was willing to make the 20 minute taxi ride into the Pudong area. I was totally wrong -

1. Checkin experience - They said they could not find my reservation, even though I showed them an email confirmation. Made me wait for 20 mins (I'm fine with it, software glitches can happen) but what got to me was they did not have the courtesy to say either thank you for your wait or sorry for your wait. It felt like they were doing me a favor by giving me a room.

2. Checkout experience - They made me sign 5 or 6 sheets of paper. Seriously? In this age when most companies are trying to go green you need to have my signature on 5 sheets. I did not have any room service or use the mini bar. I just stayed there for a night. In addition to this, there is a tendency for people in China, India and some other countries to jump the line while waiting. I am aware of this but what got to me was the lady at the checkout counter did not follow the protocol at other branded global hotels and locations to check me out first when she had acknowledged my presence in the line previously. Again, no sorry no apology. There was also a gentleman smoking in the checkout line and I'm assuming being a 5 star property you should not be allowed to smoke wherever you please.

3. Concierge - Limited spoken english skills (which is again fine), but could not provide any assistance or recommendations to grab dinner int he Pudong area. I have been to Shanghai twice previously and I had more knowledge about restaurants or malls with restaurants in Pudong that the two guys manning the concierge area. They can only call a taxi for you, don't expect any recommendations. This was my experience, maybe there are other people at the concierge desk who are more knowledgeable.

4. Front desk - During checkin I enquired about the spa services at the hotel. They had no brochure or even a phone number for me to call the spa. It looked like the spa service (which is on the 6th floor) was part of some other hotel. At other 5 star or even 4 star properties when you like to use some other service, the concierge or the service provider (like spa, tours, etc) call you to your room. I got no call from the spa service, infact I had to go to my room and call the operator later in the day.

5. Spa - Room had no brochure about the services and the rates. I called to enquire about their services, they gave me a brief overview, prices were fine however we were going to head out into the city so I told them I'll call back if I needed to use their services. They called me back at 11:30 at night to ask if I needed a massage. Who does that at a 5 star property!!! Any inclination of using the spa service the next day went away with that one call.

6. Water clog in the sink - When you are running a hotel mechanical, electrical and plumbing issues are bound to happen. I am not going to ding them for that. What got me was the guy who came to resolve the water clogging in sink used one of the room towels. Thats not the issue, the problem was he left the towel that he used to clean all the mess in the bathroom. Why would you leave a soiled, wet and dirty towel that was used to wipe out the clogging in the bathroom?

7. Air conditioning issue - At night we felt the room was just not getting warm enough for us. They sent a technician who said it might take time for the room to reach the 26 deg C temperature that we were hoping to have. It was at 18 or 19 deg the whole day. He suggested we get a heater, made a call to the front desk and left. In 5 minutes (kudos for that), a lady appeared with the heater, when I opened the door she just handed me the cable of the heater and left. I would have expected her to push the heater into the room and hook it for us, again wishful thinking or maybe I've been spoiled by my stays at InterContinental, Crowne Plaza and the Marriott's of the world.

Well everything was not bad, one star for the size of the room and cleanliness even though the bedding was a little worn. WIFI was free and the speed was good. We asked for a universal adapter which was sent up promptly and so was the plumbing guy to resolve the sink water clogging.

Hotels are in the hospitality business where courtesy and service are two critical parameters for being successful. You are there to make the stay comfortable and memorable. If I was staying at a one or two star hotel I would not expect more, but this coming from a property termed as being a 5 star is outrageous. I would suggest spending the extra money and staying at a InterContinental, Crowne Plaza or Courtyard. They are in Pudong area but more importantly the service resonates with the brand name.

And yes, all this for a one night stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tehran, Iran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed 5 nights as a business trip and my conclusion is as follows:

Positive points
- Too clean
- Good room with good view to city (I stayed in 34th floor as executive room number 3415)
- Good equipment in the room

Negative Points:
- not a good location and far from Metro station and attractive destinations in Shangahi (Deping road as nearest station)
- not a good swimming pool; it could be better with green area and tree
- Jacuzzi is required beside swimming pool
- Breakfast had not cheese
- I did not see smiling staff in restaurant which is very important for service and tourist attraction; When I requested egg as a second time, the related staff was not happy!

Room Tip: 3402 is better
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank hossein2012
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I'm not convinced this hotel is still in Shanghai! Seriously, it is very far from Pudong and any restaurants or attractions. You will need to take a taxi or hire a car to go anywhere from here. And, the taxi drivers have no idea where it is so you better have a printed map with the location marked and the # to the hotel for directions. The breakfast buffett is average for a nice property like this and the coffee is some of the worst in China. I normally expect bad coffee in China - here, it is undrinkable. The pool is indoors and heated and well maintained. The staff is friendly but cannot make up for the other shortfalls.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stay here 4-5 times per year, mostly due to the higher cost of staying in the Pudong district closer to the Bund and a cluster of attractions. A common theme of most reviewers of this property center on the remote location. Agreeably, not too much in the walkable vicinity that would be interesting to a tourist. But the Superbrand Mall, Pearl Tower, etc are only a short 15 minute, 25 RMB (four bucks) cab ride away. And the hotel rates at this property - for the level of service and room quality - are a pleasant tradeoff to the "inconvenient" location. Restaurant buffets (breakfast/dinner) are a little expensive though the food is decent, but room service fare is varied and fairly priced. If there was a Starbucks or Costa Coffee kiosk in the lobby, this would merit a 5 star rating!

Room Tip: ask for the highest floor that you can get for your quoted room rate
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed 3 nights for work. Room is good and clean. The staffs were very helpful, when I told them that the room was still very cold although I have turned off the air-con they provided me with portable heater. That was a very nice gesture. Food choice for breakfast buffet can be improved. Location wise there are no places for shopping or sight-seeing around the hotel. However, for business purpose this hotel is very good.

Stockholm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Positive comments:
1. Rooms are tastfully decorated and very functional. The alarm clock lights up when picked up. Staff are friendly.

Negative comments:
1. Taxi drivers are not familiar with the hotel. This means you have to call the hotel everytime you hop into a taxi so that the hotel can give them driving instructions even when you have the hotel's name card.

2. The spa is out to solely cheat you of your money. The description on their spa treatments are not what they actually do. E.g. It states steam - but they do not do it because they do not have it. So, whatever they are offering in the menu you will get only 20% of it and pay full price. Prices starts from 360RBM. I asked for a back message and they tried to give me a full body message and charge me for a full body message.

The worst you can do is to cheat your guest.

Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This hotel is located in Pudong Area nearby the river; however, its location is very bad because it is in the middle of nowhere. You cannot find anything nearby the hotel area, even any single convenient store. So it's really not convenient at all. However, I love the room because it is huge and clean. Mattress is nice and keep me well sleep. Lobby is also very nice and elegance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business