“Good Hotel for Business in Shanghai” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai

Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai
Ranked #173 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Doha, Qatar
“Good Hotel for Business in Shanghai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed three nights recently visiting Shanghai, it is an excellent modern hotel, very nice rooms, Excellent lay out of breakfast, Staff spoke English, would definitely recommend anyone visiting Pudong region in Shanghai.

The only reason, I gave it 4 out 5 points is its location, you had to take a taxi anywhere you wanted to go, Shanghai having an excellent subway system and one can't get on it wasn't something i liked about this hotel. taxis were always available but if they had a station nearby or a shuttle to the nearest one, would have really been excellent.

Room Tip: Do check there club level rooms, they are better and on higher floors, the view to the river side wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hyderabad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed here long back when the name was just Grand Plaza Royale. I still have to come across a business hotel which is as modern as this in amenities. I am no dud and travel almost 20 days a month. An excellent hotel if you have work in Pudong and want a cheaper hotel. Travelling to Pudong from here is quick because of the elevated expressway.

The food had both international as well as local Chinese stuff. Not extremely tasty but you wouldn't end up wasting your time searching for restaurants. It is decent. Huge lobby, amazing interiors and an excellent view of Pudong skyline from the bedroom makes it one of the most desirable hotels in Shanghai.

Staff is extremely helpful and can speak fluent English, a very important thing which you will only appreciate if you have been to Shanghai before. None outside can speak English and hence it is very important to have some one in the hotel to guide you and write the addresses you want to visit in Chinese.

Staying in the center of Pudong should be the priority, if it is too expensive book in the Grand Plaza Royale and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Take the city facing room. Just amazing
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I have visited Shanghai for 4 years consecutively and stayed at different hotels, including the Gran Melia and must compliment the Wyndham for its overall great value for money. I would suggest to fellow business travelers to take the Club upgrade to avoid the extra charges for wire-less, breakfasts, late checkout, snacks etc as this is inclusive in the package. It also give u club floor which is high and no noise from the traffic, The bedrooms are large and spacious, extra comfortable mattresses, bath and separate rain shower, pity not enough cupboard space, electronic curtains, for it's floor to ceiling windows. Situation of the hotel near to the exhibition centre, taxi to airport RMB130 and to Bund area RMB40. Taxis always available. The concierge is friendly, always able to assist, although sometimes difficult to converse as English is not THAT good. Wireless did not work in our room at first but a technician was promptly sent up with a booster. Pity the spa was being renovated as would have loved to try it. Had dinner in the restaurant which was full and good. Would recommend breakfast for club lounge to be improved, rather have buffet downstairs. Overall will definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
Groningen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel twice. The rooms are absolutely amazing and well equiped. Big comfortable bed, tv, good quality amenities. The room itself is spacious, so is the bathroom, which is equipped with a nice rain shower. The TV above the bathtub is a pleasant surprise. I had an amazing view over the river as well.

However, service for me personally is a big part of my stay. As during my first stay I had a very nice time, I decided to come back. Though both times the service has been of varying level: from the check in to the maintenance in my room to the room service.
at check in, it was really quick, friendly smiley, professional but check out was slow and irritating, as the second time the staff seemed rude (maybe due to lack of English skills??) Complements for the operator though: they speak good English and are very professional. However, ordering room service later during the night was a bit difficult, as I was called back twice about things they forgot to ask, and when I got my food it was not what I 'thought' I had ordered. What also was slightly disappointing was the in-room breakfast menu. In the morning it turned out none!!! of the items we ordered where available.

For the rooms I would definitely come back but if you are big on the service and the location I wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

The hotel is exceptionally beautiful: the room is huge, very VERY comfy bed...I've never loved any hotel beds and I really have to say this is like my bed at home!!!! The bathroom is spacious and I enjoy the tub with the TV a lot. Like all other reviews, the downside was the location of the hotel, far from the city center and exhibition halls...but Shanghai is a huge city and either you pay a hefty price for accommodation or cab rides in and out...But this was nothing compared to their world class service. I remember one night I smelled cigarette smoke on my floor (and I was staying on a non-smoking floor) and I called the service to complain about it. It was late at night but the manager took my case seriously and offered me another room to ensure I have a good night's sleep. Eventually I declined the kind offer and stayed in my own room (the smell could have been being surrounded by smokers during the day). The next day, another manager asked me about my night knowing what had happened. I thought it was very nice to be cared about. When I arrived home, I realized I've forgotten to pack my facial soap and I called the hotel which told me they could FedEx my belongings if I wanted to. I'm heartened to have stayed at such a fantastic hotel during my long, tiring business trip!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

Very nice and spacious rooms. Good breakfast spread for veggies. Has everything that an upmarket 5* would offer at the price of a 3*. Good location near Pudong. Would stay here everytime I visit Shanghai.

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms are superbly done up
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ShravS
Lloydminster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

This hotel is what you would expect in a world class hotel. The rooms were fantastic, and the Chinese restaurant had friendly staff and excellent service. The one downside was that there was nothing within walking distance - one needs a taxi to get anywhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple