“Above the clouds”

Park Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #22 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Don’t be mislead by the title, my stay in the Park Hyatt is not like walking on cloud 9, in fact you can say it’s the opposite. I am just stating the fact that at being on the top floors on one of the tallest building in the world, it is literally above the clouds.

Date of Stay: November 26,2009
Room Type: Park Room
Upgrade: none
Amount Paid Per Night: 2,080RMB (300USD) plus taxes
Reservation Method: Goldpassport Website
Loyalty Card: Platinum Gold Passport

Airport/Hotel Transfer: Arranged for an Audi transfer from the hotel, I find this the best way in China because sometimes taxi lines are too long and you might be left standing in the cold for at least an hour. Unlike Park Hyatt in Beijing that met me on the Airport Gate itself and escorted us through immigration and customs the Hyatt representative (Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt and Hyatt on the Bund) was waiting for us at the arrival area outside the customs section.

Location: I never liked staying in Pudong because it’s just too far from anything…and traffic is horrendous but with the 2 new tunnels connecting Pudong with Puxi, getting from the hotel to Puxi could be as little was 10-15 minutes. Park Hyatt is on the top floors of the Shanghai World Financial Center, from the ground floor you go up to the lobby at the 87th floor and you take elevators down to rooms from the 79th to the 84th floors.

Check-in: Was very fast, we were met at the ground floor and escorted to the lobby and was in our room in less than 10 minutes.

Room: Quite large, I like the open feel without making it too open that I loose my privacy like the Park Hyatt in Beijing. The real problem is the huge diagonal pillar which is part of the building’s structure taking up almost half the window view. and it also made the room look smaller because it pushed the day bed much closer to the bed.

Bathroom: The bathroom was big, the rain shower is twice the size of the regular rain showers and is inclosed in a very roomy shower area with a big bathtub. Toiletries are from Aromatherapy (just like the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong).

Bed: Bed was very comfortable not really too soft and not hard either, I have to say it’s just right. The pillow are another thing, I wish I had enough strength to request for additional pillows because those huge square pillows were hard to manage. I literally had to fold them so I could sleep.

Breakfast: compared to other hotels in Asia, I have to say the breakfast spread is adequate albeit very limited. But the great thing is where they serve breakfast, they call it Dining Room, and when you enter the place they made a nice little kitchen with cabinetry and stovetop like ones you see at home or condo. you pass through a doorway into the actual Dining Room with a nice view of Pudong.

Check-out: Check out was fast and efficient, nothing much to write about it actually, they did apologize for the room over and over but it’s really a bit too late for that.

Overall Evaluation: Service is excellent there no doubt on that, I said the same thing when I spoke to the Director of Rooms the following morning after I sent him an email about the diagonal pillar on the room and told him that I am moving to Peninsula across the river. However I felt that as a Platinum member I’m entitled to something more, plus the fact that my membership guarantees the best available room on the category…and I do not think that was the best at that time.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Keslergo
There are newer reviews for Park Hyatt Shanghai

Reviewed November 28, 2009

The Park Hyatt is the premium luxury brand of the Hyatt Chain, and positioned itself as premium luxury hotels in same class as Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. Occupying the 79th to the 87th floor of the Shanghai World Financial Centre, the Park Hyatt Shanghai can boast of being the highest hotel in the world with the fame and novelty to go with it. It is also the most expensive hotel you can find in Shanghai with starting rates comparable to and in most case exceeding the most expensive hotels in Hong Kong. I rarely try any hyatt hotels because my past stays at Hyatts have all turned out to be a total disaster, to the extend that I usually go out of the way to avoid this chain. However, despite my previous several unpleasant experience with the Hyatt Chain, this hotel is generating enough hype that I was eager to give this hotel a try just to see if it does live up to it’s reputation.

Bad arrival experience

Unfortunately, from the get go, history seems destined to repeat itself. My arrival experience at this hotel left me unimpressed, unwelcome, underwhelmed and annoyed. On arrival, a bell boy ( which strangely was dressed smartly in tie and suit ) took my luggage bag and I was shown to the hotel’s speed elevator, which whizzed quickly in less than a minute to the 87th floor. The lobby indeed was quite impressive, but the weather was foggy hence not doing justice to the view. The check-in desk seems to be understaffed and there was a queue forming for check-in, not a good sign of a supposedly top-tier luxury hotel.

Upon check-in, I told the check-in lady staff that I have earlier requested by email for a room facing west towards Puxi and Jinmao tower which has the best view. I was immediately told this room wasn’t available because the hotel was “fully booked” but I’m sure she did not bother to check. Then I was told breakfast wasn’t included in my room rate ( it was ) and only after showing my booking, then she relented. Next she spend several minutes staring at her computer screen apparently “hunting” for a suitable room (??? ). Finally, I was next told the room wasn’t ready because they have to “put some fresh fruits” in the room first. And I was assured it would only take 5 mins and she will informed me once ready and show me to my room. I was invited to wait in their “living room” which is the hotel lounge. After 10 mins passed, no sign anyone is coming. Frankly, I’m not used to waiting at all for check-in when staying at luxury hotels. If it’s Holiday Inn or even a Hilton, fine, but this is the Park Hyatt. So I approached the front desk again asking where’s my room and was dismayed to find out that apparently, the room was ready a while ago, just that the lady who checked me in left the desk and forgotten that I was still waiting at the lounge. Another staff then handed me the room keys and wish me a good stay. No escort to room or they must have forgotten.

Upon entering, the room at first glance was indeed very impressive. It’s cutting edge modern contemporary and remind me of another hotel with similar styling, the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong. However, a quick check on the room and I soon noticed significant wear and tear. Worst, the showerhead have ugly brown spots and the bedsheet have some brown stains. Yucks! Totally not acceptable! I immediately called Guest Service to complain and was promised they will send someone to check and clean it soon. Looking around the room, I hunt for the light switches and couldn’t find them ( it was hidden beside the bed ) and I couldn’t find the lights for the toilet cubicle which was very dark. The remote for the TV is hidden so I couldn’t switch on the TV. A lot of stuff are just not very intuitive in this room. Someone should have shown me the room being my first step here.

Another 10 mins passed and nobody come to my room yet to attend to my complaints. Also, my luggage wasn’t brought up. It’s starting to irritate me. Calls to guests service several times and they will say “I will check” but it’s a different person answering the call each time, which means I have to repeat the story. Getting seriously annoyed, I started to ask for the Manager on Duty. Shortly after, the assistant manager showed up and apologized, and promptly got the room cleaned and arranged the luggage to be brought up. The duty manager also came to apologize, and offer another room which has a better view and in much better condition ( much less wear and tear ). I took the opportunity to lecture them that since Park Hyatt positioned itself as a top-tier luxury 5star hotel ( and they certainly priced accordingly ), such service hiccups and housekeeping sloppiness are totally unacceptable. Furthermore, as a first time guest, I should be escorted to the room to explain the technology and features, not left me to figure things for myself. Both were very apologetic and said they will feedback my comments to management.

The Room

I booked a Park King room which measures a spacious 50-55m2 and decorated in cutting edge contemporary style. Everything feels very zen and there is a great view of Puxi and Jinmao tower. Unfortunately, it was quite foggy during my stay but that was not the fault of the hotel. I particularly love their closet design which has really cool lighting feature and each door can be folded inwards for easy accessibility or covered for privacy. There isn’t much furniture in the room, just a TV, a nice work desk, a day bed by the window and a small side table hence it feels very spacious. All the usual hotel amenities ( toiletries, towels, stationary etc ) are there but kept out of sight, hidden in boxes or behind doors which make the room feel uncluttered but frankly gets rather annoying at times if you are a first time guest hunting for stuff. The bathroom has dual vanity and a separate “wet room” which houses a fabulously large rain-shower and large tub. Strangely, the toilet cubicle was housed in a separate compartment away from the bathroom. There’s also a coffee machine and a safe. The room is also whisper quiet, evident of great sound proofing.

One feature missing is a in-room A/V system, surprised the hotel didn’t invested in one. The room features extensive mood lighting, which can be dimmed or brighten individually. Once I figured out the light function, it’s rather pleasant to use. The bed is very comfortable, feature silky smooth bed linens and face the windows. I had a great night sleep and it’s such a wonderfully elating feeling to wake up and draw back the curtains ( automated by the way ) and see the the entire Shanghai city below you.

Overall, it’s a very design driven room and indeed very gorgeous looking. It ranks easily as one of best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. My few complains are the lighting is inadequate in the entrance foyer ( a bit dark and claustrophobic ) and the wetroom keep splashing water everywhere once the taps are on. Also, the toilet cubicle is quirky, with an accompany sink so shallow that I splashed water everytime I used it. The DVD player and iPod dock for some reasons are located at the bottom of the TV cabinet so one have to bend down to access it.

Common Areas

The hotel is gorgeous throughout. Everything is cutting edge contemporary luxury and the owner obviously spared no expenses to decorate the place. Clever use of partitions, mirrors and other ingenious design elements transform the place literally into an oasis of calm and a haven of luxury and style. The restaurants follow the same trend, although the 91st floor 100 century avenue is way more flamboyant. The Living Room ( ie the hotel main lounge ) boast the best view of Bund in Shanghai ( provided weather is fine ) and also served drinks and snacks. An excellent place to relax and / or meet guest. Also, it appears that the hotel is the “it place” for well-to-do or new money Chinese to hang around, all of them eager to flaunt their wealth but unfortunately some of them lack the class and manners to go with it. It’s quite common during my stay to see businessman talking loudly into their mobiles or parents letting their toddlers scream their lungs off in the lobby and spoiling the tranquil atmosphere.

I really like the food in this hotel and all the food served at all the food outlets are uniformly excellent. I had a quick afternoon snack at the Living Room and had the best tasting spring rolls I've ever eaten. The 100 century avenue restaurant is the highest restaurant in the world and have amazing 360 deg views of Shanghai. It served Japanese, Chinese and western with live cooking station. I had dinner there and food quality is excellent but very expensive. The dinning room serves buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. I find the breakfast good but lack selection. Items like waffles, pancakes are conspicuously missing. Service at both restaurants are attentive. No complaints here.

I also visited the swimming pool and small gym at the 85th floor. The pool looks really inviting and with surrounding cabanas it has a very resort feel.

This is one area where the hotel is lacking, as evident from the arrival experience. Also, there is inconsistent service level provided by the staff. Some are more friendly and helpful while a few acts so pretentiously that they are probably thinking we should be thankful to be staying at their hotel. In particularly, I find the front desk or the reception to be really inadequate, incompetent and snobbish due to my check-in and check-out experience. The need to wait for check-in was particularly unacceptable for a hotel of this class. Also, they appeared to be frequently confused while staring at their computer screen, not sure why.

After my strong complaint on arrival, the Duty Managers did their best to recover from the service hiccups including switching to a more pleasant room with a much nicer view. I was also offered a complimentary limo ride to the airport by the Duty Manager as compensation for the “inconvenience” I experienced during check-in. This is a much appreciated gesture since the limo ride was very comfortable indeed in a brand new S-Class Mercedes. But even this, the frontdesk staff managed to be confused over this. Apparently, instructions weren’t passed down efficiently and I was first told the limo wasn’t arranged and they need to reconfirm if it’s complimentary. And strangely, the limo managed to appear at the last minute. Hmm…. English proficiency is another weakness. I could barely decipher their English and end up speaking mandarin to them most of the time. However, this is understandable in China where English wasn’t widely spoken by most people.

Another service that isn’t up to task is the housekeeping which I find rather sloppy. I can easily spot traces of dirt and stains all throughout my room, on the taps or any shiny surfaces especially. Once again, hotels that positioned themselves as top-tier luxury hotels like Park Hyatt should deliver rooms which are spotless.

Conclusion

The Park Hyatt is designed and built to be a distinguished and unique luxury property. Certainly, throughout most of my stay and when things run smoothly, it does delivers a luxury experience befitting the Park Hyatt name and among the best I have experienced. Unfortunately, it does not have the necessary “software” to match the top notched hardware. The service staff, esp the frontdesk needs to improved. Perhaps my bad experience during arrival was an unforeseen and one-off hiccup but I’m judging this hotel based on it’s price and class. Despite the admirable attempts at service recovery by the hotel managers, it ultimately fails to deliver a perfect experience to merit my top rating. I’ll give it a 4 out of 5. Having said that, I will really like to return to the hotel again, perhaps when the weather is better and the view nicer and hopefully they work out all the service quirks by then.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We recently spend 24 hours in Shanghai, and had the best time ever; woke up to a breathtaking view of the city from our room on the 83rd floor of the Park Hyatt Hotel. The PH is without any doubt one of the best hotels we've ever stayed in (location aside, as it is in Pudong)

Our guide for the morning was a Texan called Spencer Dodington, from a local operator called Luxury Concierge China. Spencer took us on a visit of the French Concession and Bund. Though we are usually not all that much into tour guiding, Spencer impressed us by his passion and deep knowledge of the place. He even spoke Shanghainese.

Lunch was in a quite restaurant in the Concession called Art Salon, in the French Concession. The place serves authentic local fare, at a reasonable prices. A very cool venue.

In the afternoon, we went around the art district Moganshan Lu where we discovered some awesome Chinese contemporary artists, then moved on to Taikang Lu for some shopping.

The evening was simply brilliant; we had an amazing dinner on the terrace at M on the Bund. M is apparently an institution in Shanghai, having been the first upscale foreign restaurant to have opened over ten years ago. The service was impeccable, and the atmosphere superb.

We finished off the day with drinks at Bar Rouge, down the road. We had been told that M1NT was the new place to be, but that Bar Rouge was picking up again, and hot these days. We tried our luck, and Bar Rouge was all in flames.

What a day! We loved the city, its diversity, its energy, and can't wait to return.

1  Thank rebstall
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The view from Living Room at night is mesmerizing! Jin Mao tower looks like a spaceship about to take off.
Love this place. Magic!
The Dining Room Pantry Supper Buffet is amazing! The food is outstanding, the atmosphere, the wine list...wonderful, and the view is spectacular, with the clouds lowering over Pudong.
Service is good and maitre d' hotel was charming.
Decor is subtle and understated all through the hotel. Very tasteful.
Front desk was sort of unhelpful though. At some point I received a memorized full speech that had no relation to what I had asked (simply asked where the restaurant was)...sort of comical...but disappointing at the Park Hyatt.
Concierge was impeccably efficient.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank lapis-philosophorum
Reviewed October 13, 2009

we had high tea at the park hyatt and it was fab. Lovely cakes and sandwiches in tranquil unhurried surroundings with an amazing view of the grand hyatt building, the pearl tower and the bund and pudong. It was lovely to sit and watch the sun setting. Money well spent

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank jaketraveller
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is the best hotel we have ever stayed in and we have travelled extensively, usually staying in 5* hotels.

The combination of the amazing views, the beautiful room and facilities made this is a real oasis in a hot, busy city. Not cheap, but still good value given the quality.

The staff were very helpful. We had one problem which was dealt with efficiently - in fact dealt with so well - that it became a positive.

On our return we are trying to see when we can pass through Shanghai again to stay at this hotel.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzanneShepherdess
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I stayed here for my final night of a ten day trip to China, and it was just the perfect way to relax after all the travelling I'd done. The view of Jin Mao tower and the rest of the city from the room is stunning. I was lucky enough to be there on a sunny, clear day and watch the sun go down over the city. The bathroom is gorgeous with a big, deep bathtub, a ceiling installed "rain" shower, full-lengh mirrors everywhere, lovely scented Acca Kappa toileteries. The room has very chic, minimalist design, using lots of white and dark wood panelling. The various complimentary samples are kept in simple, laquered wood boxes. The swimming pool was large and not too crowded when I was there, as was the gym. The staff to guest ratio always seems quite high, giving a feeling of very personal, private service. Room service breakfast was very prompt and well presented. The Western Bar in the evening has live jazz/soul and an interesting choice of cocktails. It was a little quieter than I expected (I was there on a Saturday night, so I thought it might be busier.) Having been to the bar in Park Hyatt Tokyo, that place was a lot busier. Still, I cannot fault the hotel. Wallpaper magazine listed it as joing first place for best business hotel in the world. It's still a relatively new hotel and for a stunning glimpse of Shanghai in the 21st century it can't be beaten.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo