“excellent view-but do not go in a cloudy day”

Park Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #27 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Well, I think the only thing good for this hotel is its view.

The decoration is very high-quality but not very attractive for the youth. For me I prefer like Andaz or even the Ritz and Grande Hyatt in the neighbor.

The advantage of living in this property is the view of city skyline, which is really stunning. But really do not go in a cloudy day because you will see nothing but clouds like in my photo.

Also, I have to say, the breakfast is just at average level, the staff here is not really helpful.

To conclude, I'd say it is a good hotel but not qualify as a Park Hyatt and such a high price.

Room Tip: bund view room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Flashy location, fancy rooms - service at it's worst. Was really impressed that service could get this bad at a so-called 5 star hotel. Let's focus my frustration on the bar at 91st floor. First of all, why is that place not non-smoking? If I want to sit next to a Chinese chimney I pick a 10 RMB restaurant down the street. Management needs to pick sides one day: targeting rich Chinese farmers or Western travelers. Can't have it both!

Also the service level. Honestly, in my company I would have fired people for such behaviour. The bartender had the attitude of a movie star, would treat us with a mix of ignorance and arrogance. Also staff seem to prefer chatting with each other over, let's say cleaning up the table with leftovers of previous guests.

My advice: steer off unless you are really looking for an 'authentic' Chinese treat! Loads of other nice places to stay in Shanghai!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ChinaTraveler2
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed with a business partner for 3 days since I had been very impressed last time I stayed there. This time around the Hotel was a mess. The front office management is mediocre, the restaurant management is appalling - not sure why they moved breakfast to 91st, it is a really bad place to have breakfast - and everything tends to break down on the IT side. Scanners were broken on check-in, computers were broken and printers out of ink on checkout - not very helpful if you want to rush to the airport. Consolidation of bills was a disaster - took 3 attempts by the staff. They do have 2 foreign staff at reception, but they both speak as bad or worse English than the local staff - who were very friendly but not very knowledgeable. Overall the Hotel is getting old, poorly managed and not even close to international 5 star standards in terms of service or upkeep. The bellmen wear their name tags the wrong way around - we helped them fix it. There are no taxis in front of the Hotel but long lines of clients, however, a lot of taxis driving to the mall next door - as I taught a top Hotel in HK, pay each taxi driver USD 2 in preference to come to the Hotel., they will have a long line all the time and no upset customers. Everyone who does go to the park hyatt spends more than enough to make up for it. They do have my favourite pool and changing room (with a nice steam bath) in town, but that just does not make up for the rest anymore...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TCDHK
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Built in the top of once "the highest building on earth", making the hotel the highest hotel of the world, makes your stay a real experience. Sleep with your windows open and you will see the clouds below your bed. I see the proposed definition of luxury of the Shanghai Park Hyatt as a very sophisticated way of luxury, you wont find any shinny or golden items are in the hotel, the luxury is sophistication in grey colors. The location is not great, but the hotel is the best.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I did enjoy my stay very much in this hotel every time i went. However I would have to say that for the price it is not quite worth it. Yes its probably fine to go a couple of times because it is so high up and the rooms are lovely. However it is still too expensive even for that and there are many alternatives which are better. I note though that some of the CX package deals including this hotel are actually very good value though I have never been able to secure one.
One point regarding the view is that, ironically, because of the pollution and fog of shanghai, and because you are in pudong not puxi, the view is not the best - you are far better off getting a room in one of the hotels on the bund unless you are working in pudong.
The room itself had an excellent bath as well as a great shower and japanese toilet, the beds were excellent and the decor fantastic.
Breakfast was expensive but excellent.
Overall this hotel is very good but not quite worth the money especially as the grand hyatt next door offers almost the same thing (albe it not quite as good a room) including the view for a lower price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CurlyHongKong
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed here for the first 3 nights or our China trip. The room was great. I traveled with my adult son, so we really appreciated that fact that the room had a split bathroom. The toilet and an additional sink was separate, accessible directly from the room. This way we did not have to wait on each other to get out of the shower to use the facilities. The rain shower coming from the ceiling was spectacular. We had a Bund View Deluxe Twin room. This particular room was on one of corners, and had views in multiple directions.

The beds were very comfortable. Especially for China, where they tend to be on the harder side. We had a little bit of fun attempting to explain to the front desk that my son was allergic to feathers, and needed synthetic pillows and bed covers. We did however receive them within 10 minutes. I loved 'my' down set...thank you very much.

The service at this hotel was exceptional. You were never more than 30 seconds from someone waiting to assist you with something.

It was an awesome experience swimming in an infinity pool on the 85th floor, next to a floor to ceiling window with a view of the city. Don't miss out on that if you stay here.

Our room rate included breakfast, which was a buffet served that their 100 Century Avenue restaurant. It was compared to other Chinese hotels on the weak side. It was definitely adequate and very tasty, but had disappointingly few selections available, especially for the price they charged. They also served the exact same things all 3 days in a row. Thy were even presented in the same order on the same platters. The only difference was that on the last morning there were some pasties added to the bread section, which had not been available the previous days. If this meal had not been included in the room rate, we would not have paid to eat there a second time.

We found the food in this hotel in general to be exceptionally pricy, if you actually managed to get into one of their restaurants. This was also a disappointment. I was rather surprised that as a guest of the hotel, given that they had several restaurants, they were not able to accommodate us for dinner two of the three nights we were there. The first night we were only seated, because we had arrived to the hotel just 20 minutes earlier.

In the end, we were ok with that, as on the first of those two nights, we ordered food to our room, which was off the menus from the hotel's restaurants, and was in fact significantly cheaper sent as room service items. On the second of those nights, we went to one of the many restaurants on the bottom few floors of the building. Those restaurants are not part of the hotel, and there are dozens of them. We found a rather excellent restaurant serving German food (Brotzeit). We had the best Schnitzel ever there, with fresh beer from Munich on tap. We returned to this restaurant a few days later for one more meal. On a future visit, I would head straight downstairs at meal time, to one of the restaurants there.

Now, to be fair, I do have to say that all the food we did eat at the hotel was very well prepared and very good. The staff were also extremely attentive and exceptionally friendly.

All in all, we would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LangleyVagabond
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Was racking my brain between choosing the Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, Ritz Carlton and other hotels in the Trip Advisor top 10. However, after staying here, I have no regrets.

The Hyatt IS a place where you can go, to feel pampered, special and get away. Our stay was to celebrate my lovely lady's birthday, and the Park Hyatt made making this day very easy to be a special and very memorable moment in our lives.

Highlights, the view...the automatic toilets, the nice tub, the rain forest shower, the complimentary bottle of champagne, the friendliness of the staff, and being in the middle of all the foreigner friendly hot spots in Lujiazui!

Things that needed to get used to: The entrance to get in can be a bit maze-like...at least this will ensure that those that aren't staying at the hotel, and only coming to eat at the food courts won't wander in by accident, to maintain privacy. The hotel is a bit dark, which gives it that nice, 'secret' ambiance, but, we couldn't tell what was a door or a wall, to make our way to the elevators to the lobby (maybe it's just us?).

All in all, the Park Hyatt is a great place for a romantic getaway!

Room Tip: If you 'tick/check' the box that says 'honeymoon', you get a complimentary bottle of...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple