“Great lunch”

Din Tai Fung (Shanghai New World)
Ranked #19 of 17,249 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Neighborhood: Xintiandi
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Gracious service with real, genuine smiles and a most helpful head waiter. Loved the dumplings and appreciated the advice sheet on how to mix the ginger, soy, vinegar etc. Packed with Chinese which must mean something. And the price was OK.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed at Xintiandi, and this restaurant was very close to the hotel. Xiao long bao is a must here. We went early and had great food and fast service. Right as we were leaving, there was a line of people waiting to get in.

1  Thank TavelerV
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My regular dining place, business or private. Love the food (the dumplings is no special), especially the 马兰头 starter, and the 炸酱面。My Singaporean, German and English counterparts love it too and they returned on their own thrice.

The portion is little I must say. Service is good.
Long queue during peak hours. Do make reservations.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Marvellous dumplings served with a smile by some of the friendliest and most effective servants I ever met. The dumplings come in great variety and they are all extremely tasty. The place is deservedly popular with both locals and tourists, so you might need to book a table in advance.

1  Thank Romraf
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was really excited about visiting this restaurant because of the feedback received on tripadvisor. My husband and I planned our day around having lunch here. I am a big dumpling/dim sum fan and often eat this sort of cuisine in London. Unfortunately this restaurant was below the standards of the chain restaurants in London.

The restaurant was clean and the staff really helpful! The problem was the food just wasn't tasty and lacked flavour; in all honesty it was all a little bland. I had vegetarian parcels and dumplings, both contained the same bland filling. My husband had pork which wasn't seasoned enough and shanghai dumplings which had leaked, therefore contained little liquid. The best part of the meal was the egg fried rice, which was fantastic.

Personally I wouldn't recommend this restaurant and do not consider it anything special.