“I would stay here again”

Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai
Ranked #126 of 5,147 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here in late August, 2012 - first time staying in the Pudong area in Shanghai.

The area: the hotel itself is in a convenient location with a short stroll from a fairly large shopping vincinity ("thumb"? Plaza) and is surrounded by attractions as mentioned by other reviews. Even though the location is fairly close to the river on maps, it is in actual fact a distance in reality. If you are after the glam of Shanghai (fancy restaurants etc etc), then Puxi is a better option. Which ever location you choose, be mindful of the very bad traffic conditions in Shanghai.

The hotel: I was upgraded to a club twin room on check-in because their non-smoking standard rooms had been booked out. The room itself was fairly worn, with some dints and scratches on furniture, aged carpet, aged drapes and bathroom etc, but the room was well sized and it was comfy with a good amount of natural light. My many experience with Chinese hotels had not bode well with working air conditioners, so I was thrilled to find that the room's air con was not centrally controlled and worked well when I had the temperature set to 16deg C. The staff was awesome - kind, attentive without being intrusive and responsive when I had concerns... The buffet breakfast was standard fare, but nothing to complain about.

Would I stay here again the next time I'm in Pudong? Yes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Dominic B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Dear miilies_world01,

Thank you for your review and your nice comments about hotel and we will share all the details with the team.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Once again, a fantastic stay, which was even better since I had access to the excellent Club Floor and Lounge.

For the last 25 years, I have spent at least 100 days annually in 4 and 5 star hotels in every continent of the world, and I find that the quality and consistency of this hotel is quite simply astonishing.

Every single member of staff that I met on each of my two stays was professional, friendly, efficient and discreet. As a result, I have total confidence in every one of the personnel, even those that I have not met, which shows the quality and seamless consistency of the team ! The personnel would be a credit to any hotel, anywhere in the world.

It is probably unfair to name names, as I do not wish to ignore all the other wonderful members of staff, but l would like to just mention the following:

- the Club Lounge team, with special thanks to Miss Cathy Bu, Miss Jenny Meng (she is a real star!), Miss Deng, Miss Wei and their colleagues
- the friendly driver, Mr Tao, who picked me up at the airport
- Miss Flora Zhao on Front Desk
- all the housekeeping staff: this is one of the very few hotels in the world where the room is perfectly made up and all toiletries replaced correctly every day !!

Well done !

Dear DernierVirage,

Thank you for your detailed review and nice comments, especially about the staff. They will be very happy when it is shared with the entire team.

If we can offer any further assistance please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Very nice rooms, well I did get a corner room, (it helps to be in the Priority Club for room upgrades)

Breakfast buffet not bad

I used the gym, and there is a nice pool too

Location not bad just near Century Park, and you can walk to the Metro and Science and Technology Park

A few local small supermarkets and restaurants in the neighbourhood too

Service overall not bad, tho one time when I couldn't sleep and called the desk at 2 am, nobody answered..

Room Tip: Join the priority Club,ask for a high room for a view

Dear Munchies-please,

Thank you very much for your review and comments that will be shared with the team.

If we can offer any further assistance please do not hesitate to let us know

With best regards

Reviewed September 20, 2012

as a frequent traveler, I would say the service from Century Park Crowne Plaza is above and beyond. Warm welcome from stepping in, fast check in and out, staffs are always ready to help. Unlike most of the other hotels in China, I do think the staffs here are exceptionally warm and kind, truly caring for your needs. And of course great location, on the top floor you can see the park, the exhibition center, the shopping plaza and Lujiazui all within reach. In Shanghai with this price, it is hard to find a hotel with the similar room size and facilities.

Room Tip: higher floors are quieter

Dear Ron L,

Thank you very much for your kind review that will be shared with team. They will be delighted.

If we can offer any further assistance please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was really excited about the service orientation, the friendliness and the professionalism of the staff. The team at Crowne Plaza always gave a warm welcome, a friendly smile and always gave me the feeling that they really cared about my questions and needs and tried to provide the best possible service. Neither am I a celebrity, nor was I holding up a sign saying “Gold Member”, nor am I having any other kind of “extraordinary appearance” that clearly distinguished me from other guests – but everytime I dealed with the staff at the hotel, I always had the feeling that they remembered me and that gave an extremely good feeling when staying at this hotel. Even compared to other hotels in other countries – what I was experiencing at Crown Plaza Century Park was outstanding!

Another advantage concerning the location of the hotel: If you are working in the Pudong area and you do not like over-crowded subways during rush hour, you can also choose to stay here, since subway lines (lines 2 and 9) going past the hotel are not THAT over-crowded ... at least compared to the ones that start go through People's Square or Nanjing Road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Club Floor! If you are a Priority Club Member, you might be promoted to the Cl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Dominic B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear TDGSouthernGermany,

Thank you very much for your nice review on Hotel, the team will be delighted and motivated for all their hard work being recognized.

If we can assist with anything else for the future please don't hesitate to drop us a note.

Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

rooms a bit old. rugs need repacing.
bathrooms need thorough cleaninng.
staff english could use some improvement. food average-
bit pricey for the quality and variety.
do not take hotel taxi to and from airport.
expensive, old cars and drivers who have
no english skills. better off with official taci!

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear pinme,

Thank you for your review and your comments. Of course we are not happy about it all and please contact me off-line at the email address below so we can take it up further and learn more to make improvements.

The hotel is only four years old and very well kept and therefore we expect all of our guests to be very happy here and don't know what went wrong this time.

With best regards and looking forward to hear from you.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Me and a colleague arrived at the airport late and were looking for the hotel car pickup, first called to the hotel who told me to wait 5 minutes and the driver will arrive. Then they called back and did say they could not find our booking, after that called back and say that they can’t find the booking and there is no car sent (this was 30min since call number one).
At the hotel they first refused to give us the two prepaid rooms, they just gave us one room until I strongly pointed out what the pre-paid voucher from our travel agent stated.
I could not believe this bad service at Crowne Plaza, why they wanted to cheat us on the room?

Room Tip: Print all your booking details and written confirmation and bring to the checkin. Bring some extra...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Dominic B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Callek,

Thank you for the review. We apologize and can assure you this is not something we are happy with.

It would be good to take this off line as after checking we did not have a confirmed airport pick up for your arrival. When you called Hotel since there was no booking confirmed you were offered a car can be there in 30 minutes when we called you back. It maybe a mis-communication between your company and hotel and that needs further follow up, as we have no confirmation for this airport pick up.

I also need more details of what happened at the desk and I look forward to hear from you so that we may make improvements as necessary.