Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental
$145
  • Breakfast included
$156
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$162
$110
$154
$106
$101
$86
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjapanese restaurantoutdoor poolclub millesimeresort hotelnice getawayfamily staycationgolden weekf b managerthis lovely hotelbasic amenitiesexecutive floorduring happy hourvery pleasant stayfront officemain lobbybig hotelan upgrade
Reviewed July 31, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed 1 night with my girlfriend and our stay was quite satisfactory. If you are willing to pay the price it's a great idea to escape from the city (and it worked really well for us, the atmosphere is like beach). Swimming pool area is great, also for kids, staff is well trained (including language skills) and breakfast is fantastic. For the price we paid though (actually you are paying just for the high season), I was expecting a perfect stay in all ways, but we didn't have any major issue despite a problem with the 60 USD coupon they give you depending on your room type, but that was (partially) solved without big problems.

Transportation is quite convenient from downtown Shanghai, either by taxi or subway, but don't believe their website, they don't offer shuttle bus from the subway station, you you need a 3 minute taxi ride or walk (depending on how hot it is).

Expect many kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Raphael-Goncalves,

Thank you very much for your review highlighting your positive experience during your recent stay at the Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental.

I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comment, your satisfaction is always our pursuit.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Shenshan soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband myself and 2 children ages 8 and 10 stayed at the Sofitel Sheshan for a one night stay. We booked online and honestly found it a little frustrating to find a room for 4 people. It kept telling us that only a maximum of 3 people was allowed in each room and the rooms we wanted could not accommodate an extra bed. We ended up booking 2 rooms therefore we were separated as my husband had one child and myself another, it really ruined the getaway.
We ended up speaking to a lovely French girl who explained what we had to book for our next visit of course with a price tag.
We also arrived at about 1pm as the online booking said that check in was 2pm. We were happy to sit and have a drink in the air-conditioning and wait. We were told that check in was actually not until 3pm. We went away to get some lunch and returned after 3pm to find that they couldnt give us two rooms together as they were not yet clean. Frustrating but staff were friendly and allowed us to use the pool and kept our bags.
Rooms were comfortable with a great bed. After having hard beds in living Shanghai this is greatly appreciated. Bathroom was great and clean but we only had less than a 1/4 of a toilet roll in each room. Carpet throughout the hotel was very stained and every where smelt like cigarette smoke.
Pool was large and the surroundings very nice. Kids loved the slide. It was extremely hot on the day we went, around the 41 degree mark and because the pool is very shallow the water temperature was like a warm bath, 33 degree water temp. It would have been nice for the pool to be a little deeper to enjoy and a little cooler, but the temperature i suppose cannot be helped.
We had lunch in the all day restaurant the next day after check out, it was really really nice and great food and deserts. It was extremely expensive for the 4 of us over 700rmb and that was with no drinks and they included a 15% surcharge. Kids don't eat that much for the price they pay.
Overall experience good and we will return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear 8NicholeM8,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us your valuable feedback on your recent experience with us at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental.

We have passed your comments to our management team and the concerned department, then, more professional training and relevant care will be developed, we try to improve our service and quality to ensure guests satisfaction. If you do not mind dropping me a quick mail via H6329-GM2@sofitel.com, I can contact you personally. This would be highly appreciated.

I would like to apologize again for your unpleasant experience; we truly appreciate your patience and understanding. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for your valuable feedback, which certainly helps us improve and achieve the best standards. We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sheshan soon again.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family spent the weekend with four other families, and 4 kids all under 5 years old. At the completion of the brunch staff removed a decorative hat hiding a metal looking vase, making it visible to the children. My 4 year old picked it up, and I checked it only to conclude that it was plastic. My wife thought it was aluminium. My son was holding the vase for over 10 min, in view of at least 5 Sofitel staff. At no time did staff indicate it was glass, and therefore dangerous.

My 4 year old dropped the vase while seated, shattering it, and sending glass shards across a 9 m square area. No staff came to sweap up the glass, but instead a man with a camera was called. After 15 minutes the shards of glass were still under the feet of the children. I returned from checking-out at this point, and was furious that no safety measures had been taken. Furthermore, my wife was informed by a senior staff member that we must pay 1000 RMB. When quized on how she came to this amount, the staff member informed us that a matching vase had broken previously, and that was the settlement the previous guest had paid.

I am writing this account from the nearby police station, because I have refused to pay for the damages. I have been informed by my lawyer that had my son, or any child, been injured then the hotel would be 100% liable for damages. But because he was not, the hotel has ordered my wife, my 4 year old and I to 'negotiate' damages in an unairconditioned roadside police station in Songjiang.

I am concerned that within the week a matching glass vase will replace the one broken, and a third incident will occur, this time hurting a guest or their child.

One customer service star throughout all of this is the floor manager Javier (Spanish) who was very polite and understanding, but unfortunately not senior to the local managers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Morry M
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel is about 1 hour drive from downtown, you can go there by metro No.9 as well. I stayed in the pool side room last time, it's really good to walk into the swimming pool just in the room. The beach pool is also great for kids to have fun there.

For the service, you just cannot require too much in any place of China, and it's above average in this hotel.The room service food is good, better than the restaurants there.

However, as we want to get back there for a weekend next month, we checked the price for the pool side room again, it was raised rmb1000! We can choose even a villa in Phuket at this price. This is really confused that why the same room can be that expensive while other room types can keep the same in one year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear IAMSALILY,