“Just loving it”

Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental
Ranked #89 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
“Just loving it”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed two stays here last month to celebrate our 5-year anniversary. Actually ,I was meant to stay downtown at first (god knows why I like shopping so much!). However, my husband convinced me to stay here. I didn't know how nice it was untill I stepped into the link bar! Loving the decor ,so graceful and romantic!Fantastic hotel . Amazing swimming pool and beach. Love everything here , so does my husband!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Mollybai,

Thank you very much for your review highlighting your positive experience during your recent stay at the Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental.

I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comment, your satisfaction is always our pursuit.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Shenshan soon.

Beat Klarer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here with my family for one weekend in June. The overall facility of the hotel is pleasant. And if you have kids, I'd recommend this hotel for a short getaway as the outdoor pool with the sand beach is fantastic for kids. The pool is spacious and kids-friendly as the depth of the pool is only up to the knees of an adult. A tip to those bringing kids - do consider bringing your own beach toys as the ones they sell at the business center of the hotel are expensive. The rooms, though, are not kids-friendly. There are many sharp corners/edges at the sides of the bed and the tables that you have to watch out for. The bed also made creaky noise when we turned.
Something the hotel can really improve on is the service of the staff. Check-in took longer than expected though we were greeted by a friendly manager of the hotel. At dinner time, we dined at the buffet restaurant. As most of the guests dined at the same restaurant, the restaurant was crowded and it was under-staffed. We had to find a baby chair on our own as the staff couldn't be bothered to look for us and it took a long time for them to clear the tables. Our drinks also took a while to arrive. The same thing happened when we had our breakfast at the same buffet restaurant. The staff paid more attention in taking down which rooms we were staying, whether we had dining coupons and whether we had a deposit on our rooms etc rather than delivering the service to guests (the hotel took my credit card details at check-in so I don't understand why they were so uptight about checking the room deposit/guarantee everytime I place an order or buy something from the business centre!). And at the pool, when we wanted to order some drinks, the staff had to speak to another staff who then had to speak to yet another staff and it was only the third guy who managed to bring the drinks menu to us. The drinks of course a while to get to us... The staff there generally seem a bit lost at times and overall, the service needs improving.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sarasara2525,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us your valuable feedback on your recent experience with us at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental.

We have passed your comments to our management team and the concerned department, then, more professional training and relevant care will be developed, we try to improve our service and quality to ensure guests satisfaction. If you do not mind dropping me a quick mail via H6329-GM2@sofitel.com, I can contact you personally. This would be highly appreciated.

I would like to apologize again for your unpleasant experience; we truly appreciate your patience and understanding. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for your valuable feedback, which certainly helps us improve and achieve the best standards. We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sheshan soon again.

Kunshan, China
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I just stayed 2 nights at this Hotel. Overall I can say, it is worth a stay. I liked the design of the hotel including the room interior. It has a more fresh look like some other Sofitel designs. The facility is nice and the outdoor pool has a sand beach. Check-In and check-check out was friendly and fast. As I mentioned, the room design is nice, but this is up to each ones taste. The only thing I have to mentioned here is, that my room had already some slight signs of aging. I do not complain directly the hotel for it, but I am just wondering about some guest behaviour to treat rooms like that. I had some dark stains on the carpet and the rubber mate on the desk had some deep holes and scratches. The bed was ok, a little soft for my taste, but ok. The main problem with the bed was, that it made a lot of noice (creak), everytime I turned around. It was not the way that it was totally unacceptable, but I think for such a hotel, most guest prefer a "perfect" room, especially when you are at the club floor. Another thing is, that I found that the isolation of the room could be a bit better. I did not recognize something from other rooms, not sure if they were occupied at all, but you have a lot of noise from the main floor. Even people at the floor are not noisy, you can hear them very clearly (Including door open/close from rooms around). Breakfast was very good, but not spectacular. Very friendly staff and nice and clean environment in the All Day Restaurant. From my point of view, as mentioned, the breakfast and quality is good, but it's regular price is a little overcharged. As mentioned in another review here, the coffee is ok, but for this price and hotel, I expect some higher coffee experience. About the dinner buffet, same as for the breakfast. Not bad, quality is good, but again, not exceptional. The location is a bit far away from attractions or other locations, so the main purpose is to spend your time at the hotel. That's ok, and that's the reason why I chose this hotel. But on the other hand, It could slightly improve in some areas to make it really spectacular stay, especially that some items are more reasonable linked to the charges. The rooms charges are fair, but some charges for food and drinks are bit too high compared with what you get. And the end it was not bad and I enjoyed the stay. I would come back once I am in the area again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobtown55
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Bobtown55,

Shanghai
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Located in the suburb of Shanghai, it's an ideal location for people to escape from the city noise, there is one factory outlets nearby, the wives could enjoy the shopping while relaxing in this wonderful hotel. The shallow pool surrounds the hotel building with artificial beach. The staff are very helpful and friendly. It's our summar routine for weekends if we are available. The buffet dinner is quite good and the club lounge on the 5th floor is very spacious and the happy hour is very tempting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Paul S,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I just got back from an amazing stay at the Sofitel Sheshan. The staff is very professional and helpul. The breakfast was delicious (except maybe the coffee which has to be changed). The hotel is very quiet, the bed very confortable and the room very clean. I will come back, for sure !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Paz P,

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My family (wife and 17 month old) and I just got back from an amazing weekend at the Sofitel Sheshan.
From allowing us to check in early, upgrade to club floor due to my Le Club status, the amazing outdoor pool, delicious breakfast, late check out....everything was quite simply amazing! The staff was extremely professional, helpful and consistently went out of their way to tend to our every need.
Great getaway for families with young children.
We liked it so much, we will be back for Father's day weekend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GlobalCitizenP
SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear GlobalCitizenP,

Bloomington, Illinois, USA
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My first trip to Shanghai, $133 USD was the special price for our rooms, right before the busy May season which will be expensive time to visit China. Our timing was just right, the hotel was a very luxurious and comfortable and eye pleasing place, and endless opportunities to explore the hotel and have a vacation time just between business trips during each day of our visit. I can't tell you the difference in value from US hotels which are more expensive than this and have not 1/20th of the luxury or value. I can't wait to stay in this hotel again next time in Shanghai!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

SofitelSheshan, General Manager at Sofitel Shanghai Sheshan Oriental, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear GRPenn,