“Rarely have I been so disappointed by a restaurant.”

Thai Gallery Shanghai
Ranked #72 of 17,398 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I eat at the Bali Laguna restaurant regularly and it has become my favourite Shanghai venue. So, it was with great expectations that I decided to visit its sister restaurant the Thai Garden. The restaurant is open plan, in a pleasant neo-industrial building with unpainted concrete and exposed services, it doubles as an art gallery and the pictures make for a pleasant back drop. The noise generated by the other diners is ear splitting, as the acoustics are dreadful; a little sound absorbing material in between the reinforced concrete roof members would not detract from the minimalist intentions of the designer and would make for a quieter environment, or perhaps it is intentional and the management are keen to be rid of us as soon as possible, so that they may hand our table to the next victims.

We were shown to a table on the, mercifully, non-smoking second floor and perused the menu, which looked good, although I had to use the torch on my phone, in order to see the menu, courtesy of the very subdued lighting. One of our party is vegetarian and she was pleased with the selection of suitable dishes. We ordered drinks and waited, and waited but had to order again before they arrived, the beer and Prosecco were both warm and so we had to wait for them to cool in an ice bucket before they reached a drinkable temperature. In the meantime we ordered our food and it began to arrive after a further wait but then this is a busy restaurant and one must be tolerant.

When the dishes did arrive however, they were all stone cold; the waitress took away the rice, microwaved it for a few seconds and re-presented it, still cold. We mentioned the problem to the waitress and she said that she would “warm it up”. We asked to speak to the manager; he was suitably contrite and when I asked if I should leave, or would he like to try again, he took the second option. We waited again, then pints of beer arrived on the table “compliments of the management” we were told. Now, this really is an insult, neither my female guest nor I, drink beer, we were drinking Prosecco and it does not mix with huge mugs of draught lager. The food eventually returned to the table and was mostly passable, the red curry with duck, particularly good but everything else was average and not sufficiently spicy or Thai flavoured to be anything but mediocre.

A very disappointing experience but as this establishment comes so highly recommended by other TA reviewers, I shall give it another chance and try again, who knows, perhaps my next review will prove to be excellent.

1  Thank Philip B

Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Great Thai food in a buzzing atmosphere with good service. Stylish restaurant in CBD. The Thai staff are very pleasant and happy to give their recommendations. Using their help saves trying to use the menu boards that are a bad idea, unwieldy ESP as the low light means you need to manoeuvre them under the candlelight! The food was very good, portion side about right.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Ambiance and Decor were top notch. The food was very good, but not amazing. I would definitely recommend this place although it was marginally overpriced.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

This has a lovely ambience while art plays a prominent part in the restaurant which add a lot of character to this place.
Being a vegetarian Ive been told that even in veg dishes shrimp and fish sauces are used in most restaurangs across china. These guys ensured that none of that was a part of our meal which was just what we wanted. The food quality too was exceptionally good.

Mostly busy always so best to plan ahead and make your reservations

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Thai Gallery is a great restaurant located in an art-gallery setting. Very good selection and large menu. Food is excellent, particulary Papaya Salad and Spring Rolls. The service is really outstanding, very friendly and attentive without being annoying. Price is also very good, paricularly for Shanghai. Would definitely highly recommend!