“Only place Spanish place to go”
Review of ElWilly

ElWilly
Ranked #30 of 16,926 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: “el Willy” cuisine focuses in Spanish traditional, contemporary tapas & rices with a fun twist. The structure of the menu follows the Chinese Yin Yang structure of a meal. All the food is designed to be shared family style & to be eaten comfortably with chopticks.
Hong Kong, China
“Only place Spanish place to go”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Nice atmosphere with more the business crowd on their day off customers. Food well prepared, not overly salty, which can be a problem with Spanish budget places, and tasty. Sometimes the food comes with an innovative twist, i.e. suckling pig with some drops of mango concertante. Fast service, knowledgable. Owner led business, so quality control is on site.
Good location for post dinner activities. Runs two shifts, early shift more Chinese, 21:00 and later more westerners. All well behaved, also something to always watch out.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
“A little underwhelmed”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

After an amazing start to our Shanghai culinary experience at Hakkasan the night before I was a tad disappointed in El willy. I had read so much about the place and given that I love all things Spanish I was really ready to have a fun night. However as soon as we entered the restaurant I just didn't feel much of a vibe. It is incredibly dark inside which I have to admit did make it tricky to read the menu but to navigate my way to our table. We ordered black ink paella which was really a risotto served in a small cooking pot not a paella pan ( perhaps this is a regional thing). The food was too rich for me and I didn't feel like eating anything after. I think in essence this place looked like it was a real fav for the expat community who are lucky enough to be based in Shanghai. Im sure if you lived there you'd be heading to El Willy on a regular basis but for me it was somewhat over hyped. Perhaps we should have headed back for lunch because you certainly would be rewarded with fantastic views over the Bund to Putong.

Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Impressive new location!”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

In a previous trip had been to el willy in the old location in the former french concession.
2 years later my Shanghai friends bring me to the new Bund location with great Pudong views and tasty Spanish traditional & modern tapas.
Glad to see el willy going strong after the years!

“Poor dinner and diarrhea ”
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Trying the menu with my friend Olivier a French guy. We had 2 bottles of wine and tried at least 15 dishes . End up sick like hell certainly from the calamari . I had doubts but I did try . I do regret it . Very bad experience . Never again

“Food poisoning after lunch”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

We had a lunch in the restaurant after reading several reviews. The food is so so, not up to the standard based on the price. The service was also not very good. Very disappointed. The only thing is good is the location. After we left the restaurant, I had a bad diarrhea about 30 minutes later. Never going to go back.

Visited April 2014