“Good food, but what's with the smoking?”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of ElWilly

ElWilly
Ranked #31 of 16,868 Restaurants in Shanghai
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: “el Willy” cuisine focuses in Spanish traditional, contemporary tapas & rices with a fun twist. The structure of the menu follows the Chinese Yin Yang structure of a meal. All the food is designed to be shared family style & to be eaten comfortably with chopticks.
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Good food, but what's with the smoking?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Had another great meal here last week. As always, the service is extremely attentive, and the food really delicious. Loved the cocktail choice and could have stayed all night. BUT....what's with the smoking there? I don't want to eat my food next to a table of people smoking! My friend really hated it, so I guess we won't be able to go back. Shame; everything else is perfect!

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong
“Great overall experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I preferred the old location which was much more charming; this branch is on a high floor in a building on the Bund.
Service and food were both excellent. Atmosphere a bit lacking as I kept comparing it to the old location. Otherwise, very good!

• Visited December 2012
dublin
“Lovely atmosphere, good food and wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

this restaurant was slightly hard to find- there are no external markings in the magnificent building and even when you exit the elevator on the right floor, it is still not sign posted....... it was, however, worth the search. Great food (we had tapas- scallops were delish) and lovely atmosphere plus a brilliant view made for a lovely dining experience.

Visited April 2013
Shanghai
“Good but not Great Tapas in Shanghai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I guess I am comparing this to the tapas I used to enjoy in Spain and Melbourne. This is probably not exactly fair. But getting tapas in China is a novelty and they did a pretty good job. These tapas were actually too fancy to be called tapas but who is comparing. All in all, the food quality was really good.

The drinks on the menu were very good as well and the staff was very good about refilling them constantly. This place is probably not for kids but great to visit with a few friends.

The view of Pudong was very nice and clear particularly the evening lights. Try to get a table by the window.

• Visited April 2013
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Tapas in Shanghai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Arriving late into Shanghai during a business trip, I was having a tough time finding a restaurant that had an open reservation at 10pm. However, my concierge called "El Willy" and was told that a party of one was no problem. When I arrived at the restaurant, the hostess asked if she could help me but seemed bothered to be seating one person at 10pm. Once inside, I actually scored a fabulous table by the window with the Bund view, so I was pretty happy. After reviewing the menu and making my mental selections, I looked around and had to wait for a good 10 mins before making eye contact with a server to come over and take my order. I realize that this was 10pm, however since their kithcen is open until 10:30pm, was rather irritated that it seemed like I was bothering the wait staff. I ordered the Sangria ...which was excellent. A slight cinnamon taste to it, not overly sweet....was just perfect. Then came the croquettas, which were very good, followed by the Shrimp in garlic (ala jiao?) which were awesome. They were served in a sardine can - very creative. Finally, my third order, the Tortila Espanola arrived. This was a little disappointing. It was very bland and seemed like it needed some aoili to go with it...or perhaps just some seasoning might have been sufficient. Overall, the atmosphere was great, the food gets a "B" but the service was pretty appaling....and gets a "D": in my book. Would I go back ? Yes....and would hope for better service.

• Visited April 2013