“Lovely atmosphere, good food and wine”
Review of ElWilly

ElWilly
Ranked #34 of 17,142 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: “el Willy” cuisine focuses in Spanish traditional, contemporary tapas & rices with a fun twist. The structure of the menu follows the Chinese Yin Yang structure of a meal. All the food is designed to be shared family style & to be eaten comfortably with chopticks.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

this restaurant was slightly hard to find- there are no external markings in the magnificent building and even when you exit the elevator on the right floor, it is still not sign posted....... it was, however, worth the search. Great food (we had tapas- scallops were delish) and lovely atmosphere plus a brilliant view made for a lovely dining experience.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I guess I am comparing this to the tapas I used to enjoy in Spain and Melbourne. This is probably not exactly fair. But getting tapas in China is a novelty and they did a pretty good job. These tapas were actually too fancy to be called tapas but who is comparing. All in all, the food quality was really good.

The drinks on the menu were very good as well and the staff was very good about refilling them constantly. This place is probably not for kids but great to visit with a few friends.

The view of Pudong was very nice and clear particularly the evening lights. Try to get a table by the window.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Arriving late into Shanghai during a business trip, I was having a tough time finding a restaurant that had an open reservation at 10pm. However, my concierge called "El Willy" and was told that a party of one was no problem. When I arrived at the restaurant, the hostess asked if she could help me but seemed bothered to be seating one person at 10pm. Once inside, I actually scored a fabulous table by the window with the Bund view, so I was pretty happy. After reviewing the menu and making my mental selections, I looked around and had to wait for a good 10 mins before making eye contact with a server to come over and take my order. I realize that this was 10pm, however since their kithcen is open until 10:30pm, was rather irritated that it seemed like I was bothering the wait staff. I ordered the Sangria ...which was excellent. A slight cinnamon taste to it, not overly sweet....was just perfect. Then came the croquettas, which were very good, followed by the Shrimp in garlic (ala jiao?) which were awesome. They were served in a sardine can - very creative. Finally, my third order, the Tortila Espanola arrived. This was a little disappointing. It was very bland and seemed like it needed some aoili to go with it...or perhaps just some seasoning might have been sufficient. Overall, the atmosphere was great, the food gets a "B" but the service was pretty appaling....and gets a "D": in my book. Would I go back ? Yes....and would hope for better service.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Food quality cannot be faulted but portions are small. The service was badly organized, meals arrived sporadically for our party of 5. The wait between starters and mains was very very long despite the fact that we ordered from a set lunch menu ! One of us did not even get his order as the waiter simply forgot it...this spoiled the whole experience.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were looking for something different on our last trip to Shanghai and I saw the reviews so booked a last minute reservation. We were not disappointed. We had a selection of tapas—the tomato mozzarella salad was really good, although just a few salad greens so not a large salad but it tasted amazing. We also had the calamari and the Spanish omelet which was good. We also had a croquette with ham which was really rich and filling—perhaps too much so as it was my least favorite dish. We had a jug of Sangria which had a very good—there seemed to be a cinnamon flavor which I have not had in Sangria before, but I really liked it. Would definitely go back. If you make a reservation early enough, ask for a table near the windows so you can get a view of the Bund.