“We will be coming back for more”
Review of ElWilly

ElWilly
Ranked #37 of 17,245 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: “el Willy” cuisine focuses in Spanish traditional, contemporary tapas & rices with a fun twist. The structure of the menu follows the Chinese Yin Yang structure of a meal. All the food is designed to be shared family style & to be eaten comfortably with chopticks.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I had our anniversary dinner here a couple of weeks ago. The food was fresh, innovative and delicious. Service was great and there was a Spanish lady managing the dining room who had everything under control. Standouts were the slow-cooked lamb, tender and very flavorful and the sea bass which had been cooked in some sort of sweet custard and citrus fruit. Our only complaints were the very low lighting which made reading the menu difficult for over 45's and the food came much too quickly to truly savor each dish before the next arrived. Next time we will order bit by bit to avoid that and the waitress did have a small flashlight to help us decipher the menu. Also request those tables by the window if you want the view. We would come back here in a heartbeat and will likely hold a work function here as well. One of the very best in Shanghai!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I went to El Willy last week for dinner. It was a Thursday night and it was packed!!!! And I understand why... The place is really cool, fantastic views, nice staff and the food... soooo good. We were a table of eleven, so we ordered tapas to make things easier for everybody. Bravas, scallops ceviche, Balik salmon, "broken" eggs and my favourite by far, crispy pig. I am not a dessert person but the platter with five or six bite-size different sweets was really nice to look at, and nothing was left... so they were good... Everything was very tasty and well presented. Definitely I will come back and I will recommend the place to everyone that wants to have a delicious dinner in a great location.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just slightly down the south end of the Bund in a beautifully restored building, The Willy didn't disappoint with high quality service and delicious food. A good selection of wine with some unusual choices. If you are coming for the view best to request a window seat.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great view of the Bund, lots of fun and interesting Tapas dishes in very pleasant surroundings.
Child friendly.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We went here on the basis of recommendations from others to the restaurant's new location on the South Bund. My expectations were fairly high, but were actually exceeded. Not only is the location good, the restaurant atmospheric and the food excellent - what really stood out for me was the service, which was far and away the best I have ever had in Shanghai. And could teach 5 star restaurants in Europe a thing or two too.

Great, modern tapas struck a line between a modern twist on things and staying respectful to the original dishes. This is my first review, can't usually be bothered to leave on but El Willy and its staff deserve it...