“Shanghainese”

Ranked #322 of 17,076 Restaurants in Shanghai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Cozy little restaurant that offers very authentic Shanghainese food. I am not particularly a huge fan of Shanghainese because many of the dishes are sweat opposed to the spicy taste of Sicuan food. That being said this place knows how to make the classics, and it seems as though they have been doing it for quite a while.

They also cater to foreigners, so you wont have to worry about having to look at an all Chinese menu.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

On a friend raccomandation I went to this place as the food is good and value too!

we start to enjoy our lunch then we have discovered a den of crabs coming and going without stopping from a hole in the wall right next to our table.

we left really disappoint as is not accettable that no one from service is aware of that.

it was the table in the corner on the first floor of the restaurant.

not raccomanded for people looking for a clean restaurant!

1  Thank Fabian H
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent pork with brown sauce - Shanghai version of US BBQ ... Sweet and Tangy. The crab, potato and tomato soup was superb (needed a little salt for my taste, but easy enough to add). The jujube dessert was quite good. The salty chicken, another signature dish, was a cold dish consisting primarily of dark meat. I liked it, but not as memorable as the others. The hairy crab in wine sauce was very nice - I ordered the steamed version, rather than raw. The restaurant itself is nothing to write home about. By the way, the one person bathroom is a joke - if you are 6 ft or above there is no way to sit on the toilet. Glad that I did not need to use it!

1  Thank Cosmofighter
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Tucked in a beautiful location at Tianping lu,this charming restaurant has gained many followers due to its havenly crabs and dishes.
It is a small old double storeyed terraced shophouse and it can only accomodate not more than 15 small tables.As such one cannot be assured of getting a place prior to bookings.,so booking is quite mandatory especially for dinners.
However the interior is simple and cosy.It reminds me of grandma's home anyway and who doesnt have fond memories of that.
A few momentos and decorations like been voted Best Shanghai tatler restaurant etc is placed nonchalantly on the wall.
Having been touted as a paradise for crabs it has kept up with its repuatations with ease.
Some of the my favourite dishes here like the Fried Hairy crabs in steamed eggs at 138 yuan is finger licking good.
Others not to be missed are the braised king prawns in chilli sauce at 88 yuan.,sweet and sour crabs at 198 yuan.,and crab meat in sheet jelly at a staggering price of 398 yuan.But upon tasting it, it certainly justifies its value.
Soups collection are commendable like the Clam and preserved bamboo shoots and duck soup,Fish head and sheet jelly soup,crucian carp cream soup,Crab meat and bean curd soup etc.
Other delicacies like the mandarin fish at 178 yuan and exotic food like the turtle in steamed brown sauce at 380 yuan.
Snail meat in hot baked chives at 48 yuan.
Poultry offerings like fried prawns and chicken and fried chicken and scallions are also great.
So far whatever we ordered it feels great .I really cant find a fault in this restaurant other than the service is mediocre.However the only reason that we come here repeatedly is for the food and my loving crabs.

1  Thank bennystar99
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite restr. in SHA, I missed it so much that we purposely detour to SHA just to dine there. I have to book 1 month in advance and we were lucky to dine here 2 times in a week, very happy and satisfied. This is the place you must not miss if you love shanghai cuisines. But be warned, it is a tiny Restr in a old building and you will sit really close to the next table.
This is a place for good food, not for entertaining guest as they will need you to give up the table in 1.5hr.