“Excellent Thai”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Restaurant is lovely
Food is great (strongly recommend crab sesam entrance)
Service is nice
Not very expensive : entrance and main course for 100rmb

1  Thank Laure P

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is my second visit to Coconut Paradise. On both occasions I've had to wait over 45 mins for a pre booked table, in a small bar area with too many other waiting customers. When we were shown to the table, the food arrived quickly, almost too quickly with one of the main dishes being served with the starters. Having said that, the food was tasty and nicely presented, but certainly not the best Thai food I've ever eaten. Wine prices were also on the higher end of the scale, at over 50 euros for a decent bottle. The ambiance is nice, the outdoor area is very pretty, and the restaurant service was attentive. Overall I wouldn't rush back in a hurry as there are many gastronomic experiences to be had in Shanghai.

1  Thank linasaurus
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Loved the food..been here once..and could visit again soon..staff is good..service is fine..Thai food is really good change from regular Chinese.. ambiance is cosy & dim lit..there is BAR too to enjoy.

1  Thank davechinwan
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Although we had booked we had to wait in the bar area at least 30 minutes.The dinner 'was very pleasant, the quality' of the flow rates were up to the name of the restaurant. Very special restaurant for the environment and the atmosphere. if you are in Shanghai you have to have a dinner here. Perhaps if drinks wine can appear expensive.

1  Thank Nick139_12
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I do not know how coconut paradise manage to win any awards any more. 4 years ago, this place was top of my list. Now you will have to pay me to go there.

Booking/reservation is useless. Still land up waying for 1 hour place. In the cold -3 degree, this is no fun.

The tables are so tightly packed next to each other that it was borderline street market style but at a high price. When I say high price, I mean very bad value for money. For the same price, I rather go to Simply Thai. In any case, the place is VERY uncomfortable.

The Thai food here tastes like Chinese food with spice on it. The seafood did not look savoury. The waitron was rude and frequently walk away when anyone calls for service. Unattentive is really a BIG understatement.

It also kills the waitron to get more menus. Her reasoning is, "We only give one menu per table." ???!!!! What is wrong with this place? We're a party of 6.

Don't waste your time or money at this place. Really not worth it.

1  Thank do_rei_me