“Probably the best bang for your buck in Shanghai”

Mingtown Hiker Youth Hostel
Ranked #26 of 293 Specialty Lodging in Shanghai
Busan, South Korea
“Probably the best bang for your buck in Shanghai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights. Overall I liked the place, although it wasn't exceptionally nice. But what do you expect, this is China!

Pros:
Very cheap!
Showers are hot (except one night was lukewarm)
Easy to find
Beds are comfy
Lounge and bar area is a great place to meet people.

Cons:
-Staff is clueless. You will not get any travel advice from them. If you want a guided tour of Shanghai to to www.synotrip.com and you can find great travel guides ( i recommend Miki).
-Food isn't all that great.

Room Tip: Stay on the bottom bunk!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed at Mingtown Hiker with my elderly mother for about 3 weeks. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a private room for the first 3 days and a 2-bed dorm for the remainder of our trip. Because I didn't know how long we would travel in Shanghai and surrounding area, I booked 3 nights in the beginning to give this hostel a try. But as soon as we stepped into our private room, we knew we had to book additional nights. Our room had high ceiling, hardwood floor, a double bed, bathroom, ceiling fan, TV, plenty of hangers, one large but narrow window overlooking the alley way where street vendors sell pan-fried green onion pancakes made fresh each early morning, and the aroma of the street food awoke us nearly every morning :-)

Since we were visiting during high season--Christmas and new year, we couldn't extend our stay in the private room, so the staff moved us to a 2-bed dorm instead. The public shower stalls (if I remember correctly, there were six stalls) are located across from the public toilets (all except one or two are seated toilets), and they are cleaned very frequently as we saw the laborers wiping and sweeping throughout the day. The common seating area on floors 2 and 3 are very bright during the day and are great for reading and eating, but there are only 2-4 public seats on each floor, A sink and the fridge are located on 2nd floor. The lobby/first floor common area has several large sofas that could seat up to a dozen people. But there are only three desktop PC and we had to wait our turn on some days. The PCs are situated in a very tight space behind one of the sofas, where I squeezed between other users to get to one of the bar stools; surfing speed is quite fast. They have wi-fi and I've seen many people use their own laptops throughout the hostel.

One improvement Mingtown Hiker can make is adding more washing machine and dryer. There is only one washer and one dryer for the entire hostel and they are regulated to operate between 8 a.m.and 10 p.m., which is the time most visitors are out wandering about town and not doing laundry. We didn't enjoy rushing back early in the evening to be the first in line to start the washer, but it was the only way to get your clothes clean if you don't want to hand wash your clothes in the middle of winter. We washed our clothes every other day during our stay and that meant we returned at around 7 p.m. to race with other hostelers to be the first one in line. Other days we came back in the middle of the day to do laundry and after it's done, we left for dinner and did some night time sightseeing, so we didn't need to rush back early to beat the crowds.

Overall, this a very good hostel located near major attractions and it is super convenient (Bund, Nan Jing Road, public transportation) with reasonable rates with HI membership. I would stay at Mingtown Hiker on my next visit to Shanghai.

Room Tip: Skip the hostel's bar that sells high priced western food. Do get up early to try the pancakes...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

The location of the hostel is good. Near the Bund and Nanjing E.Road. The room was clean and spacious just there is some problem with the toilet flush. Anyway, it has meet my basic need.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

I had the most amazing experience at this hostel. The great common area makes it easy to meet other travellers (made a very amazing group of friends here), good location near Nanjing Rd, The Bund, metro lines 2 & 4 etc., cozy rooms (definitely get one with a window) and clean bathrooms. I felt at home after just a few days here, it was really perfect. Can't recommend it enough, especially if you're travelling on your own.

Room Tip: Get one with a window!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank misskatiex
Oldenzaal, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

Verry nice hostel, good price for a large beer. Helpfull staff. Outside they have a nice smoking area with terras. Clean and nice rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I booked a single room with a window and a shared bath. I got it, the room is big and not so bad. Except the hugh fungi at the wall, which is still alive and growing. At first I thought, it would be okay, but later I coulndt breath anymore, it was terrible and smelly, I felt like voming. Sleeping with the window open wasnt possible, it was very load outside, some locals worked on their motorcycles in the night.
Then I tried to change the room - no way. They sad, because I accepted the room, I had to pay for it and they just had a luxury room left - I could took this for more than the double of the price of the single room. There was no service at all, like an apology or something. Or that they offer to stay one night in the only free room just for service reasons, without charging me more - but no. So I ended up in a female dorm. It was already after 10 pm, so I had no chance to get another hostel. After I argued heatedly, they offered me then, that I dont need to pay for the single room, if I sleep in the dorm. I asked the staffmember to write this down at the receipt and give me a copy - no, of course she coulndt do that. "Dont you trust me?" she asked. After trying again without success, I went to my new room without a window for four peolpe. That was the worsed night, because one of the girls stayed awake the entire night. Yeah.

Next morning: No note on my receipt, I had to pay for the single room AND for the dorm - they tried. After I argued heatedly a lot again, I was so angry, they let me pay the single room but the dorm was free. But still, this was so ridiculous and I feel like a fool. Because I touched the pillow and used the bathroom (shared!!!) they wanted me to pay for my 30 minutes in the single room. Even if I asked to pay the half of the price, because after I checked in, I put my stuff inside, walked around the city for hours and came back in the night, so I blocked the room for 8 hours. But there was nothing to do, they smiled at me and said no.

Be aware of this hostel, after you paid, they dont know the word service anymore. I booked it because of all the good reviews, but being honest, I dont now who writes this stuff. But if you like the feeling of being in prison, it is okay. The only good thing is the location and that they keep the bathrooms clean. But one hairdryer for the entire floor and no working electrical socket in the batharea for the doormpeople.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sophie W
Kalmar, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Clean, good service and awesome. Worth the money. We recommend that you stay here!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple