“Average Chinese hotel with good location”

Rayfont Downtown Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #2,391 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Average Chinese hotel with good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

The room is normal Chinese style hotel rooms with no Wi-FI. Other things just basically near standard. The location is good enough to get around with Metro stations nearby. Most of the furniture is run down but not that bad. Price is reasonable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
St. Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was my second long stay at the Rayfont in 4 months. I always stay in the deluxe business suites which are really large one bedroom apartments. While I loved it the previous time in July, this visit was not so good. The first apartment they gave me (1727) was very rundown with badly sagging couch, stained carpet, very dirty window in living room, and a missing clothes washer. I asked for a different apartment and was assigned 3533 which looked much better but had some really serious plumbing issues. The bathroom had a terrible sewer gas problem that took me 2 days to discover where it was coming from. When I reported the bad sewer smell, the front desk sent me a housekeeper who had no idea what the problem was. She simply filled a plastic bag with water and set it on the bathroom floor drain! Upon further investigation, I discovered the sink drain had an open pipe where a 1.25 inch pipe slipped into a much larger 2 inch pipe. With a missing coupling, this left a huge gap between the pipes which then allowed the sewer gas to escape into the room. A day later, I discovered the toilet was also loose and had a leaking wax gasket. This too was allowing sewer gas to escape. This smell was quite sickening. Having done extensive plumbing work in the US myself, it would have taken a qualified plumber 1 hour and $10 of parts to totally fix the problem. When I reported to problem to the front desk on check-out, it was obvious they were aware of smell but were still putting people in the room without fixing it.

It is very clear the Rayfont has some major management and maintenance issues. I travel to Shanghai regularly and loved this hotel until now. When built, it was a high quality facility. But the lack of a highly skilled maintenance staff will encourage me to look elsewhere the next time.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms carefully and be ready to switch rooms if necessary.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Edward L

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here only one night so we didnt have a chance to explore the bustling streets below. However, one night was pretty enough. The room were normal but there is no free Wi-fi. They offer a lot of Chinese and international channels which seems good to me. Me and two other family members stayed in this room but the additional bed was horrible. Breakfast was poor with little variety.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank willyhay
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We stay here every year when we visit Shanghai . The hotel host many tour groups in October . They have long stay service apts . Good location . Service is ok , Internet is ok but not free . Many families who can not afford to buy rent here in Shanghai .

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank idorun
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I spent two nights in this hotel and the room was clean and quite big. Didn't had the occasion to use services. The room had a balcony and a lovely view on the city.
Only one negative point: the elevators (once we had to wait 15min to be able to go down !)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Supermoumou
Sofia, Bulgaria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Very Dirty (hairs on the floor, dirty spots on the carpet, on the sofa blood spots)
Very rude personnel
I asked 7 times the bellboy to help me with luggage, and at the end the receptionist came to scream at me that i did not check-out, because my luggage was upstairs in the room.
Slow elevators; One waits around 10 minutes each time;

They said to the reservation agent that I can extend my stay, but in they LIED. In the same time they tried to send me to another hotel of their chain, while the only thing I was begging was not to change the room, because of the enormous quantity of luggage I was caring with me; I would have understood "sorry, we do not have the availability", but not "you should go ?!"
The worst experience ever in a hotel!
Receptionists so so rude!

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank GalenaG
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Service:
The hotel staff are generally approachable in the reception. We asked them to help us buy high-speed railway tickets to Hangzhou and they were efficient in doing so. We also voiced out our concern with the poor toilet flushing in our room, concerns heard but nothing seemed to have done. A bit disappointing to be honest.

Room:
Personally speaking, the room is better than I expected. Comfy, spacious and tidy. The shower's good too. With that said, I am extremly disappointed with the toilet. Its flushing system is very poor to the extent that you need to give it at least triple times of flushing to make way for the next user.

Location & amenities:
The hotel is very well located with only 5-10 minutes walk from Dapuqiao Station where a very big shopping mall is located just above the station. The hotel itself has a cafe but we never tried that.

Room Tip: Higher floors seemed to quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends