“Well worth it but service yet to be improved”

Rayfont Downtown Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #2,473 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Good location
The hotel is centrally located between the 2 metro: Dapuqiao Station and Jiashan Road Station on No. 9 Line, it's also a 5-10 mins walk away from the SML center which is a huge grand mall that offers basically everything. There are numerous of restaurants to choose from, and they generally close until pretty late at night. Tianzifang is also close by.

Room:
The room was clean, nice and quiet, definitely well worth the price I paid; only comment I would make is that the toilet doesn't flush very well, and it hasn't improved after voicing out the staff.

Service:
Service is yet to be improved and they are not very helpful, I speak Mandarin so it wasn't much of a problem as I can ask others for help but it took me several attempts in order to get my questions answered.

Room Tip: There is no wifi (room or lobby) Request non-smoking rooms on a higher floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank caszse

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The hotel is fine overall, especially for $40/night. It was comfortable and location is central, walking distance to Tianzifang, very close to subway, and across the street from Costco.
But there were two major drawbacks that I can't overlook. First of all, I booked this particular hotel because it advertised a swimming pool. And they have a swimming pool, but you have to walk through a street to a separate building to get to that swimming pool. I believe the use of it is free, but they won't give you a towel and they require a swimming cap. Seriously?
Second, they make you pay for wifi. Even in China, this isn't a normal practice, so a self-respected hotel should just make it free for their guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Irina C
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Rayfont Downtown Hotel. The room was clean and had a great view of the city. The hotel is near a major shopping mall with many affordable and high-quality dining choices. At USD 36 (RMB 230) a night, it is much better than many of the budget hotels around that price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We chose this hotel after reading all the reviews and were not too sure what to expect. On the whole the hotel was fine and whilst I didn't think it was a four star by English standards, it really wasn't that bad. The staff on reception were ok but by the conceige desk were a group of 2 sometimes 3 young men who did not appear to be very interested in doing much work. When we spoke to them to get some help regarding directions, there was a distinct lack of interest. That being said, I don't think anyone spoke very good English as even the people who said they did, when asked a question did not seem to understand. I felt that the staff were not rude as such, just that maybe customer service is not really something that has got to China yet! Our room was fine albeit a bit small. There were a few small mosaic tiles missing off the shower floor but the room was clean and comfortable. A nice touch were dressing gowns and slippers in the room and water was delivered every day. There was also a kettle and green tea available at no charge and a fridge. The area was really good with lots of shops and restaurants nearby which I really liked. There was also a coffee bar where you can get a beer or coffee and in the morning they did a special for £3 for a coffee and a danish which was very nice. All in all I would stay here again and would also recommend it. Whilst not the best hotel in the world it was clean, safe and very good value for money.

Room Tip: Higher up you get a great view of the skyline.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank cathytrudgill
Reviewed August 31, 2013

At around 36 US dollar per night for a deluxe room, I did not really know what to expect in otherwise relatively expensive Shanghai. After arriving by train in Shanghai, I used the Shanghai metro from Hongqiao Railway Station all the way to Jiashan Road Station. The hotel was relatively easy to find because I had memorized the Rayfont Logo in advance. Geographically, Dapuqiao station is closer but it's easier to find when exiting from the Jiashan Rd Station. When entering the lobby, my feeling was that it was a normal 4 star hotel, as advertised.

Check-in was smooth; they scanned my passport (for registration) and asked for a RMB 500 deposit for my 6 nights. I received room 2506, i.e. on the 25th floor. The room faced north (Zhao Jiabang Road) and due to the height it was a fantastic view. Most of the time it was actually possible to see the Oriental Pearl TV Tower in Pudong. The room itselft was relatively clean and was cleaned every day. However, the size was much smaller than I had expected. The bed was much softer than regular Chinese beds and many kinds of toiletries were included. Because of the low price, it consider this hotel very price worthy.

The breakfast buffet was not included in the price. I went down to check it out, but for the price (around RMB 76), it was simply not worth it. Instead, I had breakfast the nearby Pizza Hut, KFC and Costa Coffee for a fraction of that price. There are many options.

There's a swimming pool but it's VERY far away (about 5 minutes) and hard to find. It's located in the main building of the Celebrity Hotel, but as there are no signs. Before going it to find it, make sure to learn the Chinese word for swimming pool and after asking a few people you'll eventually find it. You'll have to wear a cap which can be bought for RMB 30 (expensive). I went to see the pool, but never used it because of (a) the cap rule, (b) the long walk, and (c) the standard.

What about location, then? It's not that for away from The Bund/Pudong (about 20 minutes by metro, including an interchange), but keep in mind that there is more to Shanghai that just The Bund. For dining, for example, there are several malls at Xujiahui and Yishan Rd). In the end, despite not being located around People's Square/E Nanjing Rd/Pudong, I would definitely recommend the Rayfont Shanghai to budget travelers. I am sure you cannot find anything better in Shanghai for this price, but of course: you'll have to enjoy the metro life.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sq7700
Reviewed August 20, 2013

First and foremost, the view from the rooms (on the higher floors) is amazing...you see a lot of the downtown and a bit of Pudong (pearl tower or whatever).

Location is central...and convenient. A metro station (Dapuchao I believe) is 5 minutes walk away and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. A tastefully restored Hutong with lots of bars and restaurants is nearby as well.

The room and the hotel itself look a little...just a little worse for wear. They are not brand new and it shows. That said, the rooms are clean and the bathrooms, though peeling at the edges, are very acceptable.

English always a problem...but less so inside the hotel than as soon as you leave its doors and head outside!

TIP: Seek out the room-service menu in your room from the attach restaurant. The translations, literal I assume, of the Chinese dishes offer excellent excellent entertainment at the end of a long tiring day!! Trust me! You can also order 'Roast Child' from the menu if you are into that sort of thing :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amit C
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was on a trip on my own budget, wanted to find a so so place with a reasonable cost.
I have travelled places like Shenzhen, Dongguang, Qingdao and Beijing lived in Shanghai for 2 years, I have stayed in hotel in the rural areas in China from 100 RMB to 1000 RMB.... I think I have an idea how the hotels are. But this one was surely a new experience!
As soon as I reached the lobby around 10PM, the lobby was filled with young European kids around their early 20s holding a opened bottle of beer observing people passing by. I saw many young foreigners walking in and out. Nothing bad about it but it gives you an idea it's more like a youth hotel rather than a hotel for businessmen.
What I liked was they sold SIM cards at the conceirge desk so I could easily contact people using a local number.
Real problem came later... as soon as I entered my room on the 30th floor and closed the door, I saw a cockroach crawling down from the door. I got stunned and called the reception. They immediately offered an another room. Considering how they reacted, I would not say their service is bad.
The next room was on the 32nd floor.
I did not see a roach in the next room but I saw a pillbug in the toilet.
I saw a lot of dead beatles out of the window so I decided not to open the window in the bathroom.
Both rooms were old. This is OK, but I saw a lot of crack between the wall and the floor and also in the ceiling. I could have seen an roach anytime.
Any ladies around my age who are not ready to sleep in a place like a slum, you should never book more than one day. Just see for one day and check if you can survive here.
I booked from website "a" and therefore ended up paying cancelling fee for few nights.
Was more of a loss than a gain for me.

Room Tip: It all depends whether you can take it or not...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo