“Not bad - but a little old”

Brightel All Suites Shanghai
Ranked #85 of 318 Specialty Lodging in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
“Not bad - but a little old”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Hotel Staff was friendly during check-in. However the pictures on the webpage are actually the Gucci Store next door. The room picture is only the top price room. However considering price - location you get excellent value for your money.
One thing is ridicolous - the hotel director is running around entirely u friendly looking and this transfers to some staff as well...

• Stayed October 2011
chris c, Owner at Brightel All Suites Shanghai, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Thank you for choosing Golden Tulip Ashar Suites Hotel. We really appreciate your comments on the staff service attitude and we felt sorry about that. We will inform the relevant department to deliver more trainings to our staff. Hope to see you again in our hotel and wish our service will make your next stay warm and comfortable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Manila
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I use to stay in this hotel in my business trips and Shanghai.Good location, close to business center downtown, close to shopping malls (just by walking).
Facilites are good, reasonable price and good service.
But if you are staying in this hotel for like a week, Breakfast are same everyday!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Keanzel
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The Golden Tulip Ashar Suites portrays itself as offering International standard of service and accommodation. Sadly neither is the case. The hotel is ok, and whilst the decoration is dated the rooms are at least clean and well appointed.On the down side the staff are for the most part rude. There are none of the trappings you would expect from even the most basic international hotel - for instance 75 plus tv channels all in Chinese and all fuzzy. Internet whilst expensive although reliable. The executive floors are far from executive, in fact there is nothing about them to suggest what the term actually applies to. The breakfast is more expensive than 5 star restaurants. On the whole I would suggest avoiding this hotel and spending your money elsewhere. Our party did that and are now enjoying somewhere for less money that is streets ahead in all areas.

Room Tip: Book the executive floor so you can go straight up to executive check in
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cheeky2xist

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at the Golden Tulip in January with a group from my university for about 3 days. There were about 25 of us and the front desk was somehow able to place us all in rooms between to floors. The rooms were very large with both a living room and a separate bedroom area. The bathroom was incredibly high-tech (not surprising since we were in Shanghai) with a great shower and florescent lighting. We had a few problems with our room keys as they were deactivated daily for some reason. The breakfast was basic but good with Chinese cuisine. The location was also fantastic and taxis were always available to take you anywhere at a very cheap price (just make sure to get the concierge to write down your destination in Chinese because taxi drivers don't speak any English)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hdalke1
Beijing, China
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I have some complains of our stay as follow:
-On the days of our stay the air conditions was under repair, at least is what the hotel management told us after 2 days of hard sleep because the temperature.
- the key of my door doesn´t work so I had to call the service every time I need to go inside.
- You have to pay Internet and we use it but the speed was pretty poor, we could work with our intranet, in other hotels with free Internet can work....
- I ask for the official book of complains but, ohh surprise!!!, don´t gave to me so I wrote in a paper this complains.
Hope next time they have this problem they report the customer and give them the option to change, re-schedule....
After that we didn´t pay Internet, and the assistant manager called me 1 week later apologizing for this points.....
Beside this the hotel is in pretty good location in the city centre and the cleanliness is ok...
Enjoy Shanghai!!!!

Room Tip: be sure A/C works before you go...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank alfonsojmartinez
chris c, Owner at Brightel All Suites Shanghai, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear guest, thank you very much for your comments. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. We will inform the relevant department to improve accordingly. We wish to welcome you again at Golden Tulip Ashar Suites Shanghai Central.
Alkmaar
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Location can't be beaten for that price, but it's old and gloomy. Temperature in my room was ridiculously hot, with no possibility to turn on the heat, carpet is disgustingly filthy. Furniture hard and uncomfortable, so not much use for the sitting area of the suite, and to my surprise absolutely no foreign tv channels.

Bed is typically hard Chinese style, I don't mind myself though, but again this shows that this hotel is not targeting foreigners.
Only plus is the great shower.
Again, location is perfect, but it's definitely not a five star hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank E749b
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed in an Executive suite on the 28th floor. The furnishings were a little dated but acceptably clean. There was a basket of fruit on the desk when I entered, but it looked a bit old, like it had been served to the last guest who didn’t eat it and they just left it there. Or maybe it was just that the fruit they topped up wasn’t fresh. Either way, I didn’t eat any of it.

The bathroom had an interesting showerhead that could send jets of water in several different directions. This novelty didn’t save it though, because no matter how tightly I closed the shower door, water always leaked out onto the bathroom floor and drenched the mat. Also the Chinese writing on the mirrors in the bathroom was a bit unnerving, I didn’t like that.

As mentioned numerous times by previous reviewers, the bed is indeed as hard as they say. I put a mug on the bed next to me, forgot about it when I stood up. When I sat down again next to it, it didn’t fall over. I personally like sleeping on firm beds, but this one is really the firmest I’ve ever bedding down on. It didn’t bug me as much, but YMMV.

Temperature control can be a little weird. I was there during Spring, but apparently aircon controls don’t kick in until Summer. Before that, there is only the heating option. Although I kept it on the lowest temp, my room temp felt like it was around 25-27degCel.

I didn’t eat in the hotel, but there are quite a lot of food options in the vicinity. There are 2 Starbucks nearby, and the Szechuan restaurant (Larsho) on the top floor of Golden Eagle next door is good. The walk to Nanjingxilu (West Nanjing Rd) MRT station takes about 10min, and there’s food in that area too.

Internet access is not free. I don't remember the charges, but you can always email the hotel to check. Overall, I’d stay here for business (my office was just across the road), but not for a luxurious relaxing vacation.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business