“Internet and A/C, where it was?”

Brightel All Suites Shanghai
Ranked #76 of 395 Specialty Lodging in Shanghai
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I have some complains of our stay as follow:
-On the days of our stay the air conditions was under repair, at least is what the hotel management told us after 2 days of hard sleep because the temperature.
- the key of my door doesn´t work so I had to call the service every time I need to go inside.
- You have to pay Internet and we use it but the speed was pretty poor, we could work with our intranet, in other hotels with free Internet can work....
- I ask for the official book of complains but, ohh surprise!!!, don´t gave to me so I wrote in a paper this complains.
Hope next time they have this problem they report the customer and give them the option to change, re-schedule....
After that we didn´t pay Internet, and the assistant manager called me 1 week later apologizing for this points.....
Beside this the hotel is in pretty good location in the city centre and the cleanliness is ok...
Enjoy Shanghai!!!!

Room Tip: be sure A/C works before you go...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank alfonsojmartinez
chris c, Owner at Brightel All Suites Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Dear guest, thank you very much for your comments. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. We will inform the relevant department to improve accordingly. We wish to welcome you again at Golden Tulip Ashar Suites Shanghai Central.

Reviewed April 12, 2011

Location can't be beaten for that price, but it's old and gloomy. Temperature in my room was ridiculously hot, with no possibility to turn on the heat, carpet is disgustingly filthy. Furniture hard and uncomfortable, so not much use for the sitting area of the suite, and to my surprise absolutely no foreign tv channels.

Bed is typically hard Chinese style, I don't mind myself though, but again this shows that this hotel is not targeting foreigners.
Only plus is the great shower.
Again, location is perfect, but it's definitely not a five star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank E749b
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed in an Executive suite on the 28th floor. The furnishings were a little dated but acceptably clean. There was a basket of fruit on the desk when I entered, but it looked a bit old, like it had been served to the last guest who didn’t eat it and they just left it there. Or maybe it was just that the fruit they topped up wasn’t fresh. Either way, I didn’t eat any of it.

The bathroom had an interesting showerhead that could send jets of water in several different directions. This novelty didn’t save it though, because no matter how tightly I closed the shower door, water always leaked out onto the bathroom floor and drenched the mat. Also the Chinese writing on the mirrors in the bathroom was a bit unnerving, I didn’t like that.

As mentioned numerous times by previous reviewers, the bed is indeed as hard as they say. I put a mug on the bed next to me, forgot about it when I stood up. When I sat down again next to it, it didn’t fall over. I personally like sleeping on firm beds, but this one is really the firmest I’ve ever bedding down on. It didn’t bug me as much, but YMMV.

Temperature control can be a little weird. I was there during Spring, but apparently aircon controls don’t kick in until Summer. Before that, there is only the heating option. Although I kept it on the lowest temp, my room temp felt like it was around 25-27degCel.

I didn’t eat in the hotel, but there are quite a lot of food options in the vicinity. There are 2 Starbucks nearby, and the Szechuan restaurant (Larsho) on the top floor of Golden Eagle next door is good. The walk to Nanjingxilu (West Nanjing Rd) MRT station takes about 10min, and there’s food in that area too.

Internet access is not free. I don't remember the charges, but you can always email the hotel to check. Overall, I’d stay here for business (my office was just across the road), but not for a luxurious relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelingGlutton
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Checked in for one night but extended for four more. Hotel itself was adequate but the staff really made the stay excellent. Location is fine for walking, shopping or access to the metro. Jack Xi the concierge was enough to make up for any shortfalls the hotel may have had. When returning to Shanghai I will be staying at the Golden Tulip again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DeClute
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I booked 4 nights after reading the reviews here. Given the price, I am happy about the size of the executive suite. Despite my early arrival at 8 AM, I was given a clean room immediately. They charged and extra off my credit card and upon inquiry, the receptionist explained it is in case I use the minibar. The balance would be credited back. The location is very central, a 5 minute walk to the next Metro station (Nanjing Road West) where you find many restaurants, too. After my first day out, I found a basked for fresh fruits on my desk. The suite has a small kitchen, but I could not find a nearby supermarket for groceries. Overall, the staff is very kind and makes an effort to make it a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Good location in Shanghai Downtown
The hotel looks nice but is getting old
The bed was hard, like chinese beds
The breakfast seems better in Starbucks (very close) than in the lobby

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank kulong
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in early Sep. This is my third visit to Shanghai. As the trip was pre-arranged and therefore I didn't have much info on the hotel before we arrived. The hotel is very dodgy though it is next to all the Gucci, LV shops. The location is great, but I would never stay there again. The front desk was crowded with people. The room was full of carpet stains, and decor looked really run-down. TV not working, neither does the safe. Nevertheless, we went out for walk and came back to find only 1 towel in the bathroom. The reception advised that the whole hotel ran out of towels, and fresh towels will only arrive after 9:30pm! Can you believe it? Next, the bathroom was flooded with water after 10 min in the shower. Absolutely unacceptable. We went down to ask for a room change. We were given another room, but the beds were not properly made. We asked for the housekeeping who promised to get this done in 30 mins. We left our luggage with the front desk. After we came back from dinner, we tried to open the door with the key and suddenly a man appeared from the inside of room (only in his underwear). Guess what, the room has already been assigned to someone else and no wonder the bed was not made!! We just stood there absolutely horrified. Went down to the front desk and literally yelled at the manager. We could have walked out if we had not pre-paid. We were finally upgraded to the suite on the top floor. The room was huge, but still with carpet stain and the bathroom does not have a door. This is the best (and last) they could offer. We have wasted almost 2 hours. Anyway, my advice is stay away from this hotel !!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family