Stayed in an Executive suite on the 28th floor. The furnishings were a little dated but acceptably clean. There was a basket of fruit on the desk when I entered, but it looked a bit old, like it had been served to the last guest who didn’t eat it and they just left it there. Or maybe it was just that the fruit they topped up wasn’t fresh. Either way, I didn’t eat any of it.
The bathroom had an interesting showerhead that could send jets of water in several different directions. This novelty didn’t save it though, because no matter how tightly I closed the shower door, water always leaked out onto the bathroom floor and drenched the mat. Also the Chinese writing on the mirrors in the bathroom was a bit unnerving, I didn’t like that.
As mentioned numerous times by previous reviewers, the bed is indeed as hard as they say. I put a mug on the bed next to me, forgot about it when I stood up. When I sat down again next to it, it didn’t fall over. I personally like sleeping on firm beds, but this one is really the firmest I’ve ever bedding down on. It didn’t bug me as much, but YMMV.
Temperature control can be a little weird. I was there during Spring, but apparently aircon controls don’t kick in until Summer. Before that, there is only the heating option. Although I kept it on the lowest temp, my room temp felt like it was around 25-27degCel.
I didn’t eat in the hotel, but there are quite a lot of food options in the vicinity. There are 2 Starbucks nearby, and the Szechuan restaurant (Larsho) on the top floor of Golden Eagle next door is good. The walk to Nanjingxilu (West Nanjing Rd) MRT station takes about 10min, and there’s food in that area too.
Internet access is not free. I don't remember the charges, but you can always email the hotel to check. Overall, I’d stay here for business (my office was just across the road), but not for a luxurious relaxing vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Tulip Ashar Suites - Shanghai Central is strategically situated in the prime of central Shanghai - West Nanjing Road. Numerous luxurious brands, entertainment and high-end office buildings are just adjacent to it. The hotel is not only easy access to two international airports via Yan'An Expressway, but as well to all the major city sightseeing spots, namely People’s Square, The Bund, Xintiandi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Brightel All Suites Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Ashar Suites City Centre Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Central View Hotel
- Central View Apartment Hotel