“Business, not Pleasure”

Ranked #85 of 311 Specialty Lodging in Shanghai
Singapore, Singapore
“Business, not Pleasure”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Stayed in an Executive suite on the 28th floor. The furnishings were a little dated but acceptably clean. There was a basket of fruit on the desk when I entered, but it looked a bit old, like it had been served to the last guest who didn’t eat it and they just left it there. Or maybe it was just that the fruit they topped up wasn’t fresh. Either way, I didn’t eat any of it.

The bathroom had an interesting showerhead that could send jets of water in several different directions. This novelty didn’t save it though, because no matter how tightly I closed the shower door, water always leaked out onto the bathroom floor and drenched the mat. Also the Chinese writing on the mirrors in the bathroom was a bit unnerving, I didn’t like that.

As mentioned numerous times by previous reviewers, the bed is indeed as hard as they say. I put a mug on the bed next to me, forgot about it when I stood up. When I sat down again next to it, it didn’t fall over. I personally like sleeping on firm beds, but this one is really the firmest I’ve ever bedding down on. It didn’t bug me as much, but YMMV.

Temperature control can be a little weird. I was there during Spring, but apparently aircon controls don’t kick in until Summer. Before that, there is only the heating option. Although I kept it on the lowest temp, my room temp felt like it was around 25-27degCel.

I didn’t eat in the hotel, but there are quite a lot of food options in the vicinity. There are 2 Starbucks nearby, and the Szechuan restaurant (Larsho) on the top floor of Golden Eagle next door is good. The walk to Nanjingxilu (West Nanjing Rd) MRT station takes about 10min, and there’s food in that area too.

Internet access is not free. I don't remember the charges, but you can always email the hotel to check. Overall, I’d stay here for business (my office was just across the road), but not for a luxurious relaxing vacation.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingGlutton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Checked in for one night but extended for four more. Hotel itself was adequate but the staff really made the stay excellent. Location is fine for walking, shopping or access to the metro. Jack Xi the concierge was enough to make up for any shortfalls the hotel may have had. When returning to Shanghai I will be staying at the Golden Tulip again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DeClute
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I booked 4 nights after reading the reviews here. Given the price, I am happy about the size of the executive suite. Despite my early arrival at 8 AM, I was given a clean room immediately. They charged and extra off my credit card and upon inquiry, the receptionist explained it is in case I use the minibar. The balance would be credited back. The location is very central, a 5 minute walk to the next Metro station (Nanjing Road West) where you find many restaurants, too. After my first day out, I found a basked for fresh fruits on my desk. The suite has a small kitchen, but I could not find a nearby supermarket for groceries. Overall, the staff is very kind and makes an effort to make it a comfortable stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Good location in Shanghai Downtown
The hotel looks nice but is getting old
The bed was hard, like chinese beds
The breakfast seems better in Starbucks (very close) than in the lobby

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank kulong
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in early Sep. This is my third visit to Shanghai. As the trip was pre-arranged and therefore I didn't have much info on the hotel before we arrived. The hotel is very dodgy though it is next to all the Gucci, LV shops. The location is great, but I would never stay there again. The front desk was crowded with people. The room was full of carpet stains, and decor looked really run-down. TV not working, neither does the safe. Nevertheless, we went out for walk and came back to find only 1 towel in the bathroom. The reception advised that the whole hotel ran out of towels, and fresh towels will only arrive after 9:30pm! Can you believe it? Next, the bathroom was flooded with water after 10 min in the shower. Absolutely unacceptable. We went down to ask for a room change. We were given another room, but the beds were not properly made. We asked for the housekeeping who promised to get this done in 30 mins. We left our luggage with the front desk. After we came back from dinner, we tried to open the door with the key and suddenly a man appeared from the inside of room (only in his underwear). Guess what, the room has already been assigned to someone else and no wonder the bed was not made!! We just stood there absolutely horrified. Went down to the front desk and literally yelled at the manager. We could have walked out if we had not pre-paid. We were finally upgraded to the suite on the top floor. The room was huge, but still with carpet stain and the bathroom does not have a door. This is the best (and last) they could offer. We have wasted almost 2 hours. Anyway, my advice is stay away from this hotel !!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Summer_Traveller_hk

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed September 19, 2010

The location of this hotel is pretty great, right next to all of the upscale shopping malls of West Nanjing Lu. About a 5 minute walk to the metro line which is in a food area with international cuisine like Vietnamese, Subway (sandwich shop), DQ, bakeries, dimsum, etc.

The room was much bigger than we expected! We booked the cheapest room they had on agoda.com for $80US/nt and didn't expect much, but we got a suite with a separate sitting area, desk, couch, and kitchenette (stove top, microwave, fridge, but NO cookware or utensils! The TV got English channels like Discovery and the bathroom was very nice, clean, and spacious as well. The bed was a bit hard but this is China and there was at least an attempt at a mattress pad, albeit a thin one.

The service was the disappointment. One day we came back at 4pm, tired and sweaty from walking around humid Shanghai to find that there were no towels in our room. I called housekeeping and they said that there were "none available" and that they "would be brought up later". I was irritated because they had the little sign in the bathroom that said they would not take your towels (to save water) unless you placed them in the basket, but every day they took them anyway. We ended up going out again and upon return at 9pm found that we STILL did not have towels. I called concierge and they were delivered about 15 minutes later. Still, not such a big deal if you're getting a good deal on a reasonably nice hotel.

The bellhop and concierge were also a bit judgmental about who they assisted in the lobby, which we discovered upon checkout. The bellhop was just standing there, watching us open the door for ourselves and carry our luggage. There were several taxis by the curb and nobody offered to flag one up for us, we had to walk down to the street to get in. BUT the person coming out behind us (who was a bit older and better dressed) was treated like royalty. This blatant bigotry was not appreciated from the staff and I felt should be mentioned although again, not that big of a deal if you're getting a good deal on a decent hotel. Had I paid the full price of the room I would be much more critical.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank audjie504
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Biggest complaint I have is the bed. It was the hardest I have ever had - like sleeping on the floor. My son and I switched and I took the couch for the remainder of our stay. Nice big room. Automatic door card would not work so we were given an actual key. Very attentive cleaning staff. Hotel dining is very poor. Bar was out of most liquors. Only staff to have any good command of english was the concierge - all others was minimal at best. Location is very good for high end shopping or access to Metro. Free internet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family