What can HIE management be thinking? Or, are they thinking at all?
In USA, we love the HI Express and count on it to be crisp and clean. We rarely find a need to complain about anything. The rooms are attractive and well-maintained; the breakfast is adequate if less than inspired; and the facility is predictably pleasant.
In China, the opposite appears to be true. Chinese building and business owners are, as a rule, notorious (from a Western point of view) for constructing nice facilities and then doing absolutely the bare minimum to maintain them. This property is a perect example of the rule.
The exterior is fairly attractive, although the pavement at the entry way is old and uneven. The lobby is simple and bright, as per the HIE standard, but couches are stained and grimy.
The room we had--a junior suite--was serviceable but sterile. The carpets were clean, there was a safe, but no iron, no English TV, no refrigerator.
The bathroom offered soap and shampoo--no lotion, towels well past their replacement date (holes, worn spots). A colleague in an adjacent room had towels with someone else's hairs on them!
Breakfast was mostly Chinese food. Potatoes were very cold. Wheat toast and coffee were good.
Short story: excellent prices for a less than decent place to sleep, but you certainly won't feel at home. If you are a tourist or in town for a fwe days of business, this alternative may work for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Choose the good-value Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei for a convenient location and transport links, 15 minutes by taxi from Nanjing Road.The staff at the high-rise Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei hotel offer a warm welcome on your arrival, 30 minutes by taxi from Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. Only a 5-minute walk from Shanghai railway station and subway station, this modern hotel is in the downtown Puxi area of Shanghai. You can surf the web with complimentary high-speed Internet in the comfort of your spacious, air-conditioned Guest room.Hit the glitzy malls and quirky shops of Shanghai's famous Nanjing Road for elegant Chinese tea sets and new Asian fashions. Dinner and drinks await at the bars and restaurants in entertainment hotspot Xintiandi, 20 minutes' drive from Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei.Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei has 2 meeting rooms with great views that you can use to host events for up to 60 people. Drop by the 24-hour Business Centre to print your documents and prepare for meetings. The Shanghai New International Expo Centre is a short subway ride away.Refuel with a hearty Chinese spread including congee, noodles and fresh fruit at our complimentary breakfast buffet, prepared daily in the stylish Great Room. For tips on where to find the tastiest dumplings in Shanghai, just ask our friendly Front Desk staff.Enjoy value for money at Holiday Inn Express Shanghai Zhabei. All of our comfortable Guest rooms are at least 32-sq-metres in size and have complimentary high-speed Internet. Our breakfast buffet is also complimentary and lets you kick start your day with a generous meal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, IHG, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Zhabei Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Zhabei Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Holiday Inn Express Shanghai
- Holiday Inn Shanghai
- Shanghai Holiday Inn