“Excellent hotel at a great price”

Swissotel Grand Shanghai
Ranked #98 of 5,147 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I just spent 1 week in Shanghai and stayed at the Swissotel GRAND. What a great hotel and what a convenient location. Great service and I loved the Club Lounge on the 27th floor. I booked an Executive Room and was very well worth it. Breakfast each day was included as well as the snacks and evening drinks. The hotel was very busy so it was nice to enjoy my breakfast in the club lounge where it was much quieter. Nice bedrooms and very nice bathrooms. Service at the hotel was very good – club floor (I think his name was Min) was exceptional and the hotels front desk and concierge team was great too. I recommend this hotel to all travelling to Shanghai/Jing ‘An – great quality at a very reasonable price. I will be back!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear 84Dan,

Greetings from Swissôtel Grand Shanghai. Thank you very much for taking the time to post a nice review of your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate your perspective towards our improvement and understanding what our guests value most.

We will take great pride in recognizing Min and our Front Desk, Conceirge Team for providing outstanding service and attention to you during your stay. We are also happy to know you enjoy our location, room facilities, and Executive Club Lounge.

Please feel free to contact us further with any additional comments of plans to return, as we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Swissotel for 4 days and really found it to be a top hotel. The location was perfect for what we wanted – brilliant access to Metro/Subway lines 2/7, located next to Jing ‘An Park and right on Nanjing Road. The service in the hotel was excellent and cannot fault the concierge team for their hospitality and great support. Iris and Martin are highly recommended in terms of Concierge service and if you need anything they can help you. Bedrooms were about the average size for Shanghai, but the bathrooms were great…especially having a separate shower and separate bath (where other International hotels that I have stayed in close to the Swissotel do not have this). Overall I rate this a great hotel with great facilities and staff and recommend this to all looking for a good solid 5 star hotel in an excellent location of Shanghai.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Well run hotel with superb quality at very reasonable price. The staff was exceptionally helpful quick, kind, and responsive! The hotel seemed very new and in a great location in business center, with many malls, restaurants and even a temple. Excellent choice for business travelers.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
1  Thank Daniel D

Dear Daniel D,

I would like to extend my most sincere thanks and appreciation for you to share your wonderful feedback.

It is of special significance to hear from our valued guests like yourself, and I will place great importance on sharing this feedback with the entire team to highlight a great story of consistency in their service.

We are greatly anticipating your return and please do not hesitate to let us know in advance so that we can have the pleasure of meeting you.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Nice Hotel near Subway so very convenient. Service is efficient in nice way without being intrusive. Breakfast has resonable variety. Gym was a little small. Still a good place to stay due to location and convenient to get around.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I wanted to do a motorcycle sidecar tour of Shanghai and this was one of their "no extra cost" pickup points.

I found a great deal on Travelocity (~$120 per night, including tax and fees) - so did one night there before some business stuff.

The location is nice - within a short walking distance of the Jingan Temple and a high-end shopping mall (I think it was City Plaza). I chose to dine at a Burger King for dinner and breakfast - I'm sure the hotel food was good, but BK was fast and super-cheap.). It's just around the corner from Swissotel.

Anyway, the bed was comfy, the A/C worked well, and I had free WiFi. What more could I ask for?

Room Tip: The upper floors are typically more pricey - but they put me on the 19th floor at no extra charge. I...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear NorskeDecaturIL,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your kind opinion on your stay and we are delighted that you have appreciated our well-appointed hotel rooms with great location and excellent service.

It is truly an encouragement for us to go extra miles to ensure a great experience to each and every one of our guests. We will share your positive feedback to all our team members.

We are looking forward to welcoming you to Swissôtel Grand Shanghai for your trip back to Shanghai.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had reservations made well ahead of time by our business department. Upon arrival, after a long trip from Europe we are told after waiting in line for checking that we don't have any reservation.
Starts then a discussion about the number of rooms, the extra fee for a club room...
We arrive from Europe to MOVE to Shanghai, so we have an appointment early in the afternoon and would like to take a shower and change. It is 12.15; we mention that meeting time of 14.H
We are told to go and eat at their good restaurant, and come back to get our rooms they might be ready, they give us 2 keys and room number. At 12.45 we pay using the room number and are told by the waitress that the rooms do not exist on our name.
We go back to reception and enquire... it is not the same person at the desk, and again starts a semi bitter discussion, about room numbers, club issue, readiness... it is very very unplaisant.
We usually go to the Puli hotel where service is way better than that.

We are finally in our rooms, and are only 20 mn late for our meeting.
Breakfast is nice, full, and good.
the rooms are so/so, very small, only one sink for two. no turn over service at night, no 4 stars at all.
again the Puli is way better in that vision of service
checking out was a nightmare, long waiting line, they forgot to give us a special paper so we could register to the police , it then took 20 minutes to get it...
Anyway, we will not need a hotel in Shanghai since we have now a house there, but I don't keep a good memory of my stay there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear PascaleV,

Thank you for taking time from you busy schedule and share with us your feedback concerning your recent stay with us at Swissotel Grand Shanghai. We are all very disappointed to hear of your negative experiences and impressions of your recent stay with us, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and for the experience you encountered. I assure you it will be shared with the relevant departments concerned for immediate review, constantly working to provide better services for our valued guests.

Please note that I have sent you an off-line TripAdvisor message and would be very grateful for your reply at a time that best suits you.

Thank you very much for your time and look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Our best wishes,

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Although it took more than an hour to get here from Pudong airport it is in a great location. The staff could not be more attentive, fabulous facilities, functional meeting space and varied menus. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast. My room had a Nespresso machine, mini bar, bath and separate corner shower, although some of my colleagues didn't have these facilities. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have experienced.
I'm not a fan of "lobby bars", and this one had the usual tinny music from Bose loudspeakers and no bass unit. The local draft beer was £8 a pint and a cheeseburger was £17 on the bar menu - outrageous!!!

Room Tip: Dont get a room at the back of the hotel as it overlooks a shopping mall goods entrance and truck qu...