“Shanghai Luxury Value”

Ranked #49 of 5,031 Hotels in Shanghai
Qingdaosh�
“Shanghai Luxury Value”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've stayed at 5 star hotels all over China and in Shanghai and I found this to be the best of the bunch for the value. We stayed on the executive lounge floor and found the lounge to far exceed our expectations. From near all day refreshments to cocktail hour, to use of business service, it was all exceptional. The upgraded amenities in the room included a Nespresso coffee maker, which was such a nice improvement over run of the mill brewers or instant coffee found in most Chinese 5 stars.

I have to give accolades to the buffet in the Swiss Café, with the standout being the whole wheat sourdough bread (best bread ever had in China, right next to the Swissotel's croissant). The healthy choices, made keeping my diet routine easy.

We loved the location being near a subway, JIngAn temple and Fumin road.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time from your busy schedule to share your impressions of your recent stay with us. We appreciate any and all comments from our guests, as we are eager to provide a Swiss Hospitality consistently to all guests.

I am very pleased to know that our location has been convenient for you and that you enjoyed our Executive Club Lounge and Nespresso coffee maker in the room during your business trip. Furthermore, I am happy to hear your positive experiences with our Cafe Swiss, especially your highly recommendation of whole wheat sourdough bread.

Should you have any further comments, please feel free to contact us directly. My colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back some day in the near future!

Best Regards,

Michelle Chong
Director of PR & Communications

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have just finished a stay at this hotel and it was faultless. The location is excellent.... restaurants galore and for shoppers it is right in the heart of all the designer brands and for those of us with a more modest bank balance within an easy 30 minute walk/ 10 minute taxi to the "fake markets" where a bargain awaits all. The bedrooms are well equipped and offer Free WiFi. The beds are very comfortable and there is plenty of room to spread out. The showers were great with a rain shower head on the ceiling and wall mounted shower heads in the shower cubicle and also in the bath....the bath was used often to alleviate the aching body after a hard day shopping. There are lots of mirrors and also a magnifying mirror perfect for the ladies to do their makeup. The gym and pool areas are fist class with modern equipment, a large lap pool with numerous different spa pools. The buffet breakfasts had plenty of variety offering both western and Chinese options as does the buffet dinner on offer in the hotels own Cafe Swiss restaurant. Perfectly cooked to order steak, lamb chops, pizza and noodles round out a great buffet selection. But the best thing of all are the people. The team they have speak good english and nothing was ever a problem whether it be giving advice on the best places to go or writing chinese instructions for the taxi drivers. The doorman were particularly good, we were always greeted with a big smile and they often went beyond the call of duty once standing in the middle of the street on a Friday night flagging down taxis for their guests. This hotel and it's people deserve every accolade they get. Would I stay there again....You can bet on it!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ontario
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It was an excellent hotel with great facilities and service- I thought that the price (although expensive by Chinese standards) was worth it.

I stayed in a Club Room on a higher level floor (25th I believe). The room was large and beautiful, the bathroom incredible and access to the club lounge was a nice feature. Breakfast was served every morning in the club lounge and although it doesn’t seem as extensive as the downstairs buffet breakfast, it did include a nice mix of western and Chinese breakfast food. They also had light snacks available in the evening at around 5pm.

The bed was soft and big and the room was very clean. Wifi worked well, although sometimes it was a bit slow- I had no trouble accessing it using my phone or laptop. Water was provided daily which was a nice touch. I didn’t watch TV, so I can’t comment on the channel availability.
The hotel bar was nice- prices were expensive but not outrageously so. Wine list wasn’t extensive, but covered the basics. The fitness facilities were great- they had a two rooms that were well equipped with treadmills, elliptical and bikes and free weights. I thought the spa and pool were great- I loved using them and found them very clean.

As I single female, I felt safe staying here. Also (and this may not be relevant or important to everyone) staying at a “western” style hotel for my first few days in China did help lessen the culture shock. I ended up liking the Swissotel chain so much that after a few days at another hotel in Beijing, I switched to the Beijing Swissotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HotelManager-SSH, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Grand Shanghai, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
It's so great to have you sharing with your experience in details and be a fan of Swissôtel. Safty and security is our priority to guests, and we hope you will enjoy your stay in Swissôtel Beijing as well.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I am currently here for the F1 GP and love this hotel. The people are very professional in general and extremely friendly. It is close to a range of shops and transport. The only feedback I would give is to look at the running of the bar in the foyer area. The range of drinks isn't great and why have the desk where the bill is settled completely opposite the bar? However that's a small thing compared to what the place offers. Thanks to everyone for a clean well managed friendly Hotel where I would stay again in a flash.

By the way.. the breakfast is to die for... simply stunning

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Hotel is in strategic location. Couple of minutes walk to mrt station(subway). Near to Nanjing Road for shopping and the Bund. Taxi about less than 30yuan to either places. Luxury hotel. Facilities in room very adequate. The toiletries provided are comprehensive. Best of all for coffee lovers, there is a coffee making machine inroom. Wifi provided in room. The bed is comfortable. A very surprising fact for a hotel bed in china. Normally, all hotels in china has very hard bed (which they claim is good for the back) . The staff are very courteous. However, all these good points are offset by the low water pressure in bathroom. This is not confined to my room only. In fact, all my group who were there complained of same. We cant even take a decent shower. So what is the point of a bathtub in the bathroom. By the time the water fills up, it will be cold. :(
Additionanally, the lighting in room is a bit dim. Overall, despite all the luxuries, would not stay there again.

1 Thank Luxbear
We are sorry that you and your guests happened to face water difficulities when staying in the hotel this time, and we hope you could visit again for a better stay, as our team members make effort to provide a comfortable stay for all guests.
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I travel a lot and sometimes when I travel I want to stay at "locals" place. But sometimes I just don't want to deal with the stress of a nation's customs and go to a familiar place. When I travel to Shanghai I always stay at this hotel. The price is right. The breakfast is ridiculous!! You know the places in the US that have make your own waffle irons? Well this isn't it! The breakfast probably has 100+ fresh items on it. In NYC the breakfast alone would be $50.

The rooms are very nice - staff spoke english and very helpful. For me I have meetings at Plaza 66 and it is very easy for me to stroll on down there. Just make sure you understand how to cross a street in China....

I've stayed here 3 times and will be back again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Swiss Hotel, very professional, great location, clean. I definetly stay there. Rooms are very comfortable. Staff very friendly. Close to all major shops and shopping malls. Subway is on the step, can go both airports quickly without traffic.

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel