“Xiao Long Bao - amazing AND cheap!”

Jia Jia Tang Bao(Huanghe Road)
Ranked #18 of 17,076 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've come here a few times over the years when on business in Shanghai. I am impressed by how consistent the quality of their soup dumplings are. It's the best xiao long bao I've ever had, even better than Din Tai Fung (and I've been to their locations in Taipei, Hong Kong and Shanghai).
The prices have gone up a few RMB over the years, but considering the original pork dumpling is still only 13 RMB for 12 pieces, it's an amazing deal!
We ordered an original dumpling and one with egg yolk and pork. Between the two of us, it was the perfect portion. Don't forget to order the shredded ginger as it's not included otherwise! Also, it takes time to steam the dumplings, and they'll bring it to your table when it's ready. Leave your receipt on the table so that the servers can find you.
If you feel like splurging, order the pure crab meat. Pure heaven!

1  Thank HungryLilTravelbug

Reviewed July 17, 2014

It serves soup dumplings. People seem to like it. We thought it was ok, but then we went across the street (see Yang's review). FYI they run out of more popular dumplings as the day progresses.

1  Thank lurasf
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We have had xiao long bao many times and many places. This is one of the best. It s a small place and that is all they make! We ordered 7 of those and we finished every one of them.
Dont miss it. Its hard to find but we were staying at the Marriott hotel in city centre and it was 5 minute walk. We went with our friends.
They also have a small sign.

1  Thank winefrance
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I am no expert on soup dumplings, but I have been to Shanghai 5 times, and have tried them at various places, and these are my favourite. A caveat: I do not eat shellfish, so I didn't try everything on the menu.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

You know a place is good when the line winds around the street and they sell out of the pork dumplings early! This small dive serves up tasty and piping hot soup dumplings in pork, crab, egg, and fish. Try to make it before 5PM as they often sell out of the pork! You get a basket of dumplings for around 12RMB. Really love this spot!

1  Thank Al B