“Yasawa Island Resort - Paradise Found”

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Alta Loma, California
“Yasawa Island Resort - Paradise Found”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I did a great deal of research on this resort prior to making the decision to making the reservation for my wife and I. In completing this research I found through all the reviews limited information regarding the details of what to do, what to take, amount of baggage, and resort details. I thought I would give the best information available for the resort because I figure the person who reads this would need to have this information to make the reservations as it would be without a doubt be the best decision they could make.

First things first, everywhere in the reviews it says you can only bring 15 kilo's or 33 lbs of baggage but due to the newer airplane the charter service uses for it's flights to the resort, you can now bring 23 kilo's approx 50 lbs of luggage weight. The flight to Fiji was on Fiji Airways which was along flight but they do have movies, TV, and games you can play on the backrest display. The seats are a little cramped and your but starts to hurt from sitting so long. After getting off the plane, we were met by Rosie's Holiday's pole with a sign and they took us to a office with the information for the short flight to Yasawa Island Resort. They were very kind and since we had a five hour delay before our they held our luggage in a holding area while we went to Raffles Hotel to have breakfast and we rented a small room to sleep a little before we had to go. When we returned to Rosie's, they took us over to the charter flight waiting area which was very nice and they gave us the code for the Wi-Fi so we could send a message to our kids that we arrived. Luckily for my wife and I, our daughter was able to set up a cloud account so we could send pictures and communicate to my kids using the free Wi-Fi supplied at the Resort. We bought two IPod Touches which we used to communicate and take all our pictures which were the best purchases made. On the flight over to the island we were fortunate enough to have one of the owners with us who was very nice and made us feel at home. The flight was very nice and it was very interesting to land on the grass runway and upon arriving, there were people who were departing who told us how wonderful the resort was. We were greeted by some of the staff who gave us lei's and a drink in a coconut which made us feel very welcome. After a short bumpy ride to the resort, we were greeted by the staff who are people from the village singing a welcome song and a great big Bula! We were given instructions and a itinerary named the Sandpaper for the next days activities and you can get this paper every night at the bar. For everyone who said there is not much to do, they are crazy. There are so many things to do if you want or you could do as little as you want. I was able to become a certified scuba diver with the help of a really great instructor named Miri, who put up with my nervous jitters. She was very patient with me and worked with me to get over my nervousness.

The resort has a book in the room which goes over the Fijian Village customs, the resort policies, and the activities available. We stayed in Bure # 9 which I think one of the best due to the close proximity to the main complex. We didn't stay in any other Bure, but we were absolutely amazed at the cleanliness, beauty, and amenities the Bure had. There were homemade cookies left in the room everyday which were outstanding and we couldn't get enough of. There is a radio with an available I Pod attachment in the room along with a blow dryer, soap, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, safe, small refrigerator, ant and mosquito spray, various teas, coffee pot, and towels for the shower and beach. I decided to buy a Bluetooth speaker and use my I Pod Touch to play the music which really came in handy when we went on a private picnic. The private picnic's, day outing to the Blue Lagoon Caves, diving, snorkeling, visits to the village, and other activities are unbelievable. We suggest you go on as many private picnics and other activities as you can. The picnic includes a choosing of your choice of food and drinks. We had lobster, scallops, shrimp, and mussels along with beer, water, champagne, and coke.

The food at the resort started with a breakfast menu along with fresh breakfast bar. My wife loved the berry pancakes and I always had the traditional American breakfast except for the day we had a outstanding lobster omelet. They will make you anything but you have to have the lobster omelet. We asked for the lobster omelet the day we left and they had no problem making it for us even though it was not on the menu.

The lunch menu was also vey good but if you did not want something from the menu, you could order off of the anytime the time menu. You would get a dessert with the menu and these were usually really good.

Dinner was the most impressive meal of the day which we loved. You can have your meal on the beach, by the pool, anywhere you want. We had a 29th anniversary dinner on the beach planned by Lita who was so helpful in making it a special occasion. We had champagne, the seafood platter which had lobster, shrimp, crab, and mussels and was absolutely divine. The dessert was a magnificent anniversary cake. My wife and I were stunned when the staff came down and sang to us the most beautiful song. I can't thank them enough. The food was outstanding and we were very impressed by the chef and his staff.

We also bought the spa package which was absolutely the best purchase of the trip. You can have a massage right in front of the beach while listening to the waves crash along the beach. Agi and Katherine were amazing.

We have attached a few pictures to help you plan the trip of your lifetime. Now we want to tell you about our overall experience at the Yasawa Island Resort. We had the best vacation we have ever had and will come back to Yasawa Island Resort. The most endearing thing about the resort is the people who work there and the way they make you feel every time you see them or talk to them. These people are the true meaning of the term BULA which means welcome. The people make me believe there is still love in this world which is expressed through their smiles and actions to their guests. Everyone you meet goes out of their way to make you feel like part of their family. This resort is very good by its self but the people are the key to the resorts success. We have never been treated they way we were at the resort. We now think of them as family and will make sure we go back to see our extended family.

If you are looking to schedule a vacation to the Yasawa Island Resort, we wholeheartedly recommend you stay here. This is the most romantic, fun, and luxurious resort we have ever stayed at and would recommend this to anyone.

We want to thank the management and all the staff for making our trip the best vacation ever.

Room Tip: We loved Bure #9 They do not have a fitness center but I could not put N/A on the review
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Blake F
YasawaResort, Owner at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Bula,

Wow what a great review and thank you for taking the time to really detail your time with us and the facilities and services that we provide. Your mention of the luggage is really appreciated that has been a great change for us with the new plane we have operating our transfers.

Thank you for mentioning Lita one of our front desk team who arranged your seafood dinner on the beach, I have passed on the her your praise. Our private seafood dinners are one of the things that we try to make special here on Yasawa Island Resort & Spa, not just for special occasions but for any guest at any time during their stay with us.

We hope to see you back at the resort again soon.

Vinaka,

James McCann
Owner
Yasawa Island Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is the 3rd time we have been to Yasawa Island Resort in 4 years..why do we come back?The people are awesome,the food is terrific and the beaches are amazing..We are also welcomed back like we are family.Thanks again everyone,we miss you and will be back again soon...Try it you just might be surprised..

2 Thank kiddies411
Bula,

Thank you for coming back for your third stay with us on Yasawa Island Resort & Spa. We really do appreciate you taking the time to include us in your holiday plans and we hope to see you again for number 4 some time soon.

Vinaka,

James McCann
Yasawa Island Resort & Spa
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This resort is the ultimate honeymoon destination. My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights after a 3 night stay at another resort in Fiji. As soon as we landed on the grass runway and were met by some of the staff, we knew that we had made the right decision to stay here! The staff were some of the friendliest and welcoming people that we have ever met, and they work really hard to ensure that everyone is having a great time.

We stayed in the bure suite, and found it to be perfect for us. We did share our room with a couple of geckos and milipedes, but since we had read other reviews and were not shocked by this and it was not a problem for us. The deck of our bure allowed us to get some great sunset photos.

The food here was very good overall. We really enjoyed breakfast and lunch, and the entrees and desserts at dinner, but did find the mains at dinner to be somewhat hit or miss. All of our desserts were extremely wonderful. You definitely won't go hungry here!

There are snorkeling, caves, village visit, and picnic trips all included, and the spa and dive packages are both very good values. I did the dive package and my wife had the spa package. She loved her daily spa treatment and I found the diving to be quite good with the healthiest corals that I've seen.

I did have some stomach issues my last night/morning at the resort and thankfully was able to purchase Immodium from the resort. However, it was pretty expensive there, not surprisingly, so you may want to pack some in your luggage just in case. Also, my wife got bitten quite a bit by the mosquitoes (I didn't get any bites but she had about 15 of them), so if mosquitoes are attracted to you be sure and use the bug spray provided. I think those are the only 2 issues we had and the mosquitoes bite her a lot anytime we travel somewhere tropical so its definitely not limited to this resort.

Overall, we had the most perfect honeymoon thanks to Yasawa Island Resort! This place is truly paradise!

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad choice.
4 Thank hokiedave
New Zealand
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My Husband and I have just had 7 days at Yasawa Island Resort. We have stayed at many Fijian resorts and islands but Yasawa would have to be the best. Why - so many reasons- but the best are the beautiful staff, the amazing beaches and crystal clear water, huge comfortable bures and great food. We left feeling like we were leaving family behind. We are already planning our return and hope to take a group of friends with us to share the beautiful experience.

4 Thank Jomatt
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa for our honeymoon from April 1-6 2014 and absolutely loved it. We have traveled through Australia and New Zealand, but nothing compared to Yasawa Island. Everyone at the resort is one big family and they treat you so well. They are all so happy and welcoming and the grounds are amazing. We were stayed in a huge ocean front bure, had the BEST fresh seafood whenever we wanted, had a packed picnic lunch on our own island and even got to visit the local village of Bucama, which included meeting the Chief and participating in a traditional Kava Ceremony. We visited the blue lagoon caves and also just enjoyed time at the resort. Oh did I mention, that we were 2 of 14 guests at the entire resort?!
It was the perfect honeymoon destination and we will already are planning to go back for our 5th anniversary. Bula bula! We LOVE Yasawa!

Room Tip: They don't have a fitness center, but if you really care about being, go for a run on the beach...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Desiree A
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa is a truly special place – a diamond in the rough. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon and we will never forget it. From the moment we began our journey we knew it was going to be incredible...

The plane trip from Nadi to Yasawa was amazingly scenic – we flew over the bluest water you could imagine, and landing on a grass runway was definitely a cool experience. When we got out of our plane on Yasawa a few members of the resort staff immediately greeted us with warm smiles, fresh coconuts, fresh flowers – it was like a dream. It was then a short drive (about 5 minutes) to the resort. Upon arrival at the resort itself, the entire staff was there to meet us with a Fijian song, smiles, and clapping. Again, we felt so welcome and so excited to be in Fiji.

We stayed in one of the resort’s deluxe beachfront bures, which opened up to a large grassy area out front leading up to the ocean. The ocean was an amazing blue/turquoise color and the sand was deep, white, sparkling sand. The bure itself was huge and nicely appointed. Oh, did I mention the outdoor shower under a coconut palm? Yeah, that was amazing. And the bed is insanely comfortable!

The food was delicious, and even my wife (who doesn’t like seafood) found something tasty to eat at every meal. There are plenty of options to choose from. The activities – there are so many – you’ll stay busy even if you’re trying not to! The kava ceremony was fun, and the village visit and (especially) the church service are a must do – what a great way to learn about the local culture. Speaking of fun, if you aren’t certified to SCUBA dive, I’d recommend getting certified before you go – the dive sites are unreal. I went diving 7 times and was amazed every time I went under the water. Like being in Nemo’s underwater world. Oh, and don’t forget to do the private beach picnics. Champagne was good, but we really liked Yawini Island. Literally your private island for the day…in the middle of the South Pacific. Incredible. You can also do private dinners at your bure or on the beach in front of your bure – we did both and loved them.

The other guests were a lot of fun, too. We met couples from Australia, Spain, the States – everyone was friendly and made our time at Yasawa even more enjoyable than it would have already been.

Finally, it’s true that all of these things made for a pretty incredible experience. But most incredible was the staff. A large portion of the staff comes from the local village, Bukama Village, and these Fijians are truly wonderful people. They make each and every person at the resort feel like family. We will always remember them (Samy, Bill, Emily, Lulu, Lita, Aggie, and so many others) who made us feel so welcome at Yasawa.

I do want to address two things that have come up in other reviews – bugs and AC. We stayed in late March – it was still warm, humid, and plenty of passing showers – so some bugs did get into the bure overnight. That being said, I live in warm and humid Atlanta – the bugs in Yasawa weren’t much worse than we’ve got here, to be honest. What you’d expect in a tropical climate - it wasn’t a big deal at all. As far as the AC goes, by American standards, sure – I’d agree that the AC could use a little help. That being said, when you consider that you’re on a remote island in the middle of the South Pacific, any AC is pretty impressive, in my opinion. And it does blow right on the bed, so my wife and I had no problem sleeping at night.

So, there were a few very minor things that could use improving – despite those things, we would 100% recommend this resort. It’s not a traditional 5-star resort – it’s much better, still very high quality yet much more unique, charming, and special. We loved every minute of our time in Fiji and at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa. We couldn’t believe how quickly our seven nights went by…and are already dreaming of going back.

Room Tip: We were in bure 11, sort of in the middle of the cluster of bures on the north side of the resort...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank westcoastjoe654
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We have just returned from a 9 day stay at the Resort and we have been overwhelmed by the Yasawa family experience and feel compelled to extend our heart felt thanks to all the warm and friendly staff who not only made all of our party feel so welcome and at home but helped make our wedding celebration so special and memorable. For every little detail and unique Yasawa offering we truly thank you. Until we meet again and return to Paradise........Peter and Elaine

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Turtle Island
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!