“A nice piece of Heaven on Earth”

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Townsville
“A nice piece of Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a lovely week at Yasawa Island Resort (YIR), celebrating our 25th. It was idyllic, just what we were looking for: quiet; low key; slow pace; secluded; on a gorgeous stretch of beach with very pleasant tropical landscaping and a wonderful freshwater swimming pool.
Our deluxe Bure was spacious, clean, attractively decorated and perfectly situated on the beach, overlooking the ocean. The bures were well spaced apart from each other, too.
The staff, largely from the local village, we're beautiful people who treated us like family. They were attentive, responsive, friendly without being fawning, and eager to be be of help.
The food was excellent with a creative menu, lots of choices, well-sized portions and generous use of premium items (e.g., lobster in one form or another with several of the meals).
The cocktails, however, were not so good and we felt they also were overpriced.
The snorkeling right offshore is excellent with a healthy reef and abundant sea life. Access to scuba diving through YIR was highly personalized and the gear was excellent.
Would we return? Absolutely. In a heartbeat, but the airfare to and from the island is way over-priced for a twenty minute flight. This compromised what otherwise felt like a pretty close to perfect tropical holiday.
Finally, we look forward to returning some day (hopefully soon), and want to thank our most gracious hosts one more time: vinakavaka levu, Lucy, Layla, Manasa, Wati, Samy, Billy, Sulu, Lita and Atu.

Room Tip: Ask for a site map with the layout of the property.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PCdownunder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at Yasawa Island Resort & Spa in July of 2013 for our honeymoon. We were expecting a 5-star, exclusive, luxurious resort (per the website), but were deeply disappointed upon arrival. For the price point and the Yasawa Island Resort’s promises, we felt we were totally misguided. The Yasawa Islands were beautiful, unspoiled, and remote, but the actual resort was rundown and more of a 3-star property. They are clearly riding on the location as their selling point. We didn’t feel spoiled, but we did get the seclusion we were looking for.

We did a lot of due diligence and read many reviews to pick YIR, so was actually shocked upon arrival and spent the first couple of days rereading TripAdvisor and other reviews wondering how we so clearly chose wrong. Still not sure how YIR is reviewed as luxurious. For the price of ~$1000 US per night at a “5-star” resort, you expect a certain standard. If we were paying $6-700/night and the place was advertised as even a 4-star property, it would make more sense and I wouldn’t complain about some of these things. However, YIR promised to be an exclusive and luxurious resort, charged those rates, so we as guests came with certain expectations. Also, we came from another resort in Fiji where the property, amenities, and service were so much nicer, and even cost a little less. I only say this because we do understand the limited resources in Fiji and Fiji Time.

The actual property and main areas were nice, but not amazing, no wow factor. The advertised tennis court was under maintenance our entire stay. The service was subpar, even for Fiji Time, but the staff was lovely. My husband has food allergies which we let the resort know about ahead of time. So for meals he would ask for some modifications, but they usually messed up the order or didn’t understand what he was asking for. We didn’t bother sending anything back or asking again as it took long enough to get the food sometimes. Food was average, some meals were better than others, but the food wouldn’t be a reason to go back. Wifi was only available in the common areas and was spotty (we also thought we would have wifi in our bure).

We stayed in a deluxe beachfront bure at YIR which was not luxurious at all. I wanted to cry when they showed us to our bure. Yes, it was spacious, but it was lacking all of the qualities of a high-end resort:
• There was a shaded day bed in our front yard as promised. However, when I went to go read on ours, there were ants crawling all over the cushion. I flipped it over because I thought I would just brush them away, but there were ant eggs nesting on the frame. I called to the front desk to ask them to send someone to clean it up. They didn’t send someone. I had to call again the next couple of days. I think by the 3rd or 4th day they finally sprayed it down, but left the cushions in a disarray. We didn’t bother trying to use it after that.
• Beach towels were not replenished every day in our room. We had to get them from the pool stash. And even at the pool they would run out and we would have to wait a few hours for laundry. If YIR had advertised as eco-friendly, then I might understand, but we wouldn’t have stayed there.
• Air conditioning was a noisy wall unit by our bed that only cooled down the area in front of it. There was no air conditioning for the separate living area even though they advertised as having A/C.
• Room slippers were not provided at all. Being beach front, you track in sand no matter how careful you are and I expected to have this amenity.
• Our mini bar was not restocked. They would ask us in the mornings at breakfast what we would like, but they didn't always deliver. We mostly wanted water, but they often did not replenish the bottles. Or if you were in your room when they were doing the evening servicing, they didn’t come back to clean up when you went to dinner.
• Body wash wasn’t provided as an amenity. Just shampoo, conditioner and soap (again, not a big deal, but not 5-star resort service)
• There weren’t any pens or paper in the bure (again not a big deal by any means, but isn’t that a basic for a 5-star resort?)
• The water in one of our bathroom sinks didn’t drain very well
• The bugs: I was prepared for the bugs and mosquitos. What I didn’t understand was why the doors were not completely sealed off, nor were the windows. Everything just felt old and in need of a makeover. Per some suggestions from other reviewers, I sprayed the inside and outside of all of the doors before we went to sleep and this seemed to help with the bugs.

Also, most of the beach directly in front of the bures have coral formations a few feet out so you can’t just walk into “crystal clear waters”. This was a little disappointing as I had imagined stepping and swimming into beautiful blue waters directly out of our bure. The honeymoon bure does have clear water directly in front of it, but we didn’t want to pay 1.5 times more (we would have gone somewhere else in that case!).
The private beach excursions were amazing (champagne beach is the best) and we would highly recommend them! We aren’t divers or big activity people so lounging on a beach was perfect. The lunches they send with you are a blah sandwich, but that’s not the reason you are going on the private beach picnic.

So, I would recommend Yasawa Island Resort IF you are not looking for luxury accommodations, but are okay paying 5-star resort prices, and want seclusion. Going on the beach picnics you will see some beautiful beaches and get to see some of the island as they take you on their speed boats. I may seem like a picky and finicky traveler (which I am not), but when claims and promises don’t meet expectations, that is where I draw the line. It was our honeymoon and we wanted to be pampered, but we didn’t quite get that experience. I wish I had been better mentally prepared for what to expect at YIR. But, the seclusion and beaches helped soften the blow and all in all we had a lovely time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
16 Thank pocapisces
YasawaIslandResort, Owner at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Bula,

Thank you for your recent review. It was disappointing to hear that your time with us was not as you had hoped.

I believe our website and marketing materials we honestly reflect the resorts character, amenities and feel. Very occasionally we have clients that are seeking a much more urban 5-star environment for their holiday experience and quite simply that is not what we offer. We offer a stunning location with incredible staff, good food, large comfortable bures and an environment and feel that gives you a glimpse of the Fijian way of life.

These themes also are reflected in the many dozens of reviews on trip advisor and the hundreds of guests comment cards we receive at the resort. With over 35% return guests we know we are doing something right.

Once again we are truly sorry that your vacation with us was not as you had hoped.

Vinaka,

James McCann - Owner
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa in October 2013. I meant to get onto Trip Advisor the minute I got home to rave about our amazing experience, but just never got around to it. On the anniversary of our holiday I have written a blog post to say how much Yasawa Island touched my heart, and how leaving truly felt like leaving friends behind. As a childfree couple the stand out for us was the peace and quiet without the usual screaming kids on holidays, and the outdoor shower was great for rinsing off our dive gear! We had the Family Bure (by chance) and it had a great view and offered additional privacy. The staff were courteous and friendly and went out of their way to accommodate you, the beach felt like our very own and the food was wonderful. I really couldn't fault this fabulous resort and cannot wait to make a return visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This Resort offers snorkelling off the beach on the house reef. There is also a reef 50m offshore accessible by canoe,daily snorkelling trips etc....there are 18 beaches where you can choose to be dropped off to enjoy a picnic packed by the restaurant staff ( including seafood & any other goodies you may choose to order!). Each beach is secluded & simply divine.
Access to this resort is limited to flight daily or plane/helicopter charter so it is exclusive & private. This is an outstanding destination for families as well as couples offering personalised service. The outings offered are complimentary, everyone takes off on their own trip during the day such that the resort itself is very quiet. We were there at full occupancy & yet,apart from evening mealtimes,we rarely saw anybody else.
The staff were exceptionally dedicated & friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank osmp
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time in Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
This hotel/resort scores high points everywhere, friendly and competent staff, white sandy beach in front of the rooms, clear water, great snorkeling, modern and well maintained rooms.
We didn't get to see Manta Rays this time, but will try and come back :)

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here mid July as the first part of our honeymoon. It was absolutely perfect. Food was fantastic, staff were amazing, tours, snorkelling, everything was just terrific. I cannot wait to go back. So remote, so peaceful, we didn't want to leave!! I could not think of a negative comment to make. Just PERFECT!

Room Tip: Deluxe Bure - spacious, quiet, amazing. House keeping were incredible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Erin M
new zealand
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had a great stay at Yasawa Island Resort recently. The accomodation was lovely and very comfortable but I think the 5 stars is really due to the location and the staff. I cannot say enough about the lovely people who look after you, they really go out of their way to make your stay incredible from the restaurant/reception staff to the gardeners. You really feel that they love what they do making Yasawa Resort a very special place.
I was quite nervous about taking the little plane on the short flight from Nadi to Yasawa, it is a very small plane and quite old but was well worth the butterflies once we had arrived.
For anyone really wanting to get away from it and away from the crowds of tourists then this is the place for you. The food was fantastic and we both put on a bit of weight being so well fed. Many thanks to Lucy, Manasa, Joe and the rest of the team for giving us such a fantastic break.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Turtle Island
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!