“2nd Honeymoon”

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just gotten back from the most wonderful holiday at Yasawa Island Resort. We took our 3 1/2 year old daughter as it was kids week and I can truly say the holiday was like a second honeymoon. I organised a babysitter for the afternoons and evenings and my daughter bonded so closely with her babysitter I was totally relaxed, as the Fijians are truely loving people. The resort was simply stunning, the food is to die for, be prepared to put on some weight! The Blue Lagoon Cave excursion is certainly worth a trip and a private picnic at Champhange beach should not be missed. The staff are amazing and incredibly attentive, nothing is too much to ask for. Bridget and Aaron were terrific hosts. Hoping to go back again one day.

Room Tip: If you are going with a young family Bure 8 is close to the main area eg pool and dining, so not far...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AnnaL178

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We travelled to Yasawa Island Resort as a family of 5 (3 teenagers) and were all blown away by the beauty, tranquilly and intimacy of this high quality resort.

This resort has sandy beaches with an abundance of coral off the beach. The restaurant and pool area are first class and nothing was too big an ask, with our 15 year old son often asking for an additional serving at mealtimes, which was always met with a smile. Most of the staff hail from the neighbouring village and are some of the most friendly, attentive and professional staff we have encountered in over five trips to Fiji.

The activities staff were friendly and always willing to help, taking us fishing, snorkelling and scuba diving - one even going down 6 metres to retrieve my husband's fishing rod which he dropped when fishing on a kayak. We love snorkelling and the boys made every effort to take us to the best spots. Wonderland was my favourite. Whilst there were no motorised sports to intrude on the tranquility, the kids learnt to paddle board, and took the boards out most days.

We had two picnics, one to Yawini Island and the other to a beach known as Paradise 2. While Paradise 1 looked magical with warm turquoise water and white sandy beach, for us beach-loving Aussies, Paradise 2 had the amazing coral garden. The picnic lunch was plentiful and this is a special way to spend intimate family time in a secluded environment.

The food was the best we have experienced in Fiji. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were always sensational. The highlight was the chef's beautiful Fijian fish and prawn coconut milk dish he prepared after we had landed a 60cm Trevally while sport fishing with Li and Rusi in the morning.

My elder daughter and I had a relaxing massage on the Spa porch listening to the gentle waves lap over the rocks on the beach in front of the spa. Simply mesmerising.

My son and husband did six dives with Bridget and were blown away by the soft corals and the variety of fish at great dive spots like Paradise, Riders on the Storm and The Caves.

Our one regret was to spend a night on the mainland after 7 nights on Yasawa - it simply can't compare. We definitely recommend getting the connecting flight home after experiencing paradise.

Venandu reki to Wonga, Li, Rusi, Samy & Sami, Joe, Kiri, Manasa, Bridget & Aaron, and everyone else who made our holiday so special. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: For families of 4 or more, choose the double bure, which is situated at the south end of the resort...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Beth M
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent 4 days in this beautiful Island Resort. Even though it was a working trip but the staff, the services provided and the food made it an unforgettable experience. Getting to the Island was an experience in itself, as we boarded a 6 seater plane. The view from the air on the smaller outer lying islands is so beautiful and breathtaking. We were welcomed by the Resort Duty Manager Joe as we landed on the airstrip. He's ready smile and pleasant personality surely makes your day a good one. The welcome song and big bula from the staff at the front desk is so lovely. The main foyer is the place where you could get access for free internets and mobile phone connectivity is perfect. Receiving and making outside calls is not a problem. The juice of day at the arrival lounge is so refreshing and lovely...a never to miss. The rooms i tell you is so lovely with all things that you require for a vacation. The Pure Fiji products used in the roomsm tops it all. So refreshing and has this Pacific sweet aroma. The bedroom is so spacious and has a marvellous seaview of waves breaking into the shores. There's no TV in the rooms which provides a good relaxation environment to be really so close to nature. The sound of waves in the night makes the whole body so relaxing after day of work. I spend four days visiting the 6 villages on the island. The landscape and seashore scenery is just so breathtaking. The staff at Resort is so wonderful. A big vinaka vakalevu to Sammy, Joe, Lusi, Manasa the barman and the awesome chef of the Resort. The food i tell you is so awesome. I have visited lots of Resorts and Hotels in Fiji, but i tell you, this one tops them all. I love the morning swim i had during the four days. The sea is so clear and clean. Makes one go for a hearty breakie after a swim in the sea early morning. I had the wonderful opprotunity to visit the Sawailau Caves. So fantastic and beautiful. This is a never to miss sight when in this resort. Trips to the cave are usually organized by the staff.
Vinaka vakalevu to all the staff at the Resort.
Akini Qauqau

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Akini Q
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We returned from our vacation a week ago and had a great time on Yasawa. The island is remote and perfect if you are seeking peace, relaxation or a romantic getaway. We were seeking all of the above....and Yasawa delivered.

The staff were excellent. It's the only resort on the island, and draws most of its staff from the surrounding villages. This may relate to the sense of ownership you feel from the staff in ensuring that you have a great vacation. Always friendly and attentive, with a smile and a Bula.

The food was good. The breakfast was excellent......and it became our major meal of the day. The a la carte menu was great for breakfast meals (smoked salmon eggs Benedict, lobster omelets, etc) and the buffet was great for pastries, fruits, breads and cereals. Lunch was also great. Smaller portions, but always very flavorful. Dinner was generally good, but eclipsed by breakfast and lunch. All-in, I would rate the food as very good, weighted favorably by lunch and breakfast.

The beach was fantastic. We strolled it every morning before breakfast and in a week, never saw another guest. The sand is natural and clean. We never saw anyone cleaning the beach (if they did, they were stealthy about it), yet the beach remained clean for our entire stay, The water is warm and the surf fun to body surf on, especially later in the afternoon. Bathing is best in the morning and mid-late afternoon, as the tide retreats out midday. There are areas where swimming access is available day long. the snorkeling was also very good, right of the "front porch". There are coral formations right in front of the bar and activity center with an abundance or marine life (schools of reef fish, sting rays, puffer fish all on display). Again....later in the day or early morning preferred to provide clearance over the shallower reef heads. Other guests who did the snorkel and private beach excursions were positive about their experiences. The Blue Lagoon caves were interesting........and as you are there......why not see them, but not very expansive. The boat ride out gives you a good view of the south end of the island.

For divers......I managed to only get in 4 dives. Note....there was no diving on Sunday (villagers are devoutly Methodist) and we missed 2 days, one for the Blue Lagoon excursion and the other for weather. The visibility was not as good as hoped. While we only had half a day of rain during daylight hours, we had some pretty good thunderstorms and rain at night, which did not lend itself towards great vis in the morning. Still.....there were 2 great swim through dives and I highly recommend the Swim Through Paradise which lives up to its name. I did not bring my gear given the weight restrictions (which they are serious about should you wonder). I brought my computer and mask only. Thankfully, the BCs and regs were in good shape, but I did miss my fins. I was the only diver......so my dives felt exclusive......though I was somewhat disappointed to be signaled up twice with surplus air (??).

We went looking for a romantic, stress free vacation, with great beaches and seclusion. If this is up your alley, then Yasawa is the place for you. The staff was amazingly friendly and will leave you with a lasting positive feeling towards Fiji and the Fijian people.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We were in Bure 16......last bure before the spa.......so even more secluded as few guests walk past...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sea2ski
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned from spending 6 days at Yasawa. As we travel quite often and have a good amount of places to compare to, we can easily say Yasawa is definitely at the top of the list. Understand this is NOT a place for you if you like lots of activity, people and night life on a vacation. It is very secluded, quiet and has very little outside influence once you arrive. There is sporadic access to free Internet in the main areas but that is it. No t.v. or radio although there are music players (iPod decks) but we did not use ours. The rooms are gorgeous, ample in space and have everything you may need including very good bug spray. ( Yes, there are bugs, no-see-ums and mosquitos among other creepy crawlies...but while we were there I can honestly say it was one of the least problematic places. Not too bad at all.) I recommend the deluxe bures 9-16 as they have the best ocean views from the comfortable decks. There is good reason the beach made it to the top ten...it is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Clean, pristine white sand. Beautiful clear warm water. Stunning! Yes, the tide goes out in the morning (9ish-11ish) making it difficult if not impossible to swim (that's when I took advantage of the gorgeous infinity pool) but by lunchtime the tide was back with your very own private wave pool effect. The waves in the afternoon look more intimidating than they are, so much fun for body surfing and frolicking.
The breakfasts and lunches were DELICIOUS! Dinners were so-so. Certainly satisfying, however we are far from picky eaters. We can see the more particular eaters having some issue with dinners. The seafood was consistently well overcooked (particularly the seafood platter). Careful with the bar... the pours are far from generous and the cost can add up very quickly.
By far, rivaling the amazing beauty of the resort are the people that take such great care of you during your stay. The Fijians are some of the warmest, most genuine, peaceful people you will ever meet. Guaranteed you will feel like family by the time you leave. There are simply too many stand outs to name them all. Look for Lucy, the Samy's, the Joe's, Wati, Bill, Manasa...just to name a few. ALL of the staff are fabulous. Can't forget to mention the world class snorkeling right off the beach in front of the activity center. Don't be intimidated to get close to the lava rocks...it's as safe as a walk in the park. Vinaka vaka levu to Yasawa, the island, the resort and its staff for a more than memorable vacation.
Cherie and Michael Garratt

Room Tip: Deluxe Bures 9-16 have the best ocean views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cheriebel
YasawaResort, Owner at Yasawa Island Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Bula

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

I note that you have experienced some issues with the internet speed and connectivity. My apologies for that - it is not normally a problem. Unfortunately after the cyclone we had in December 2012 we have been struggling with our insurance and telecom provider to supply us with a new telephone PABX communications system as the old one was damaged during the storm - and it has been slow in coming.

It is great to report that we are near to installing that new system and the resort has also gone one step further and are finalising a new telephone tower that will give us an even more enhanced service.

I hope you get to come back to visit one day and get to try out the new service.

Vinaka,

James McCann - Owner

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have been on honeymoon in August at Yasawa.
We spent 5 days there and we really enjoyed our stay.
They picked us up at Nadi airport and from there we took a small airplane. The view from the airplane is amazing with all the little islands and amazing huge coral reefs.
The flight takes 45 minutes. Then you see the island long and thin with a lot of greens, few beaches and a beautiful reefs. We landed in a very simple way on a long path in the middle of the palms.
we immediately were greeted with a coconut, some fruit and a flower necklace. A jeep 4x4 brings you through the forest and after a short stroll we arrived to the resort.....
The whole team welcomed us singing and dancing the traditional music....
The resort is very beautiful. Simple, not luxurious but with all the necessary comforts. There is a big porch where meals are served always decorated with candles and fresh flowers. Then there is a beautiful pool surrounded by the palms facing the sea, a small open bar and then far away from the central structure 16 bungalows. They are all far away from each other so you have comfort and peace and no one bothers you....
We got the nr.1 the very last one almost by the sea. Inside is simple but nicely decorated. We had a little terrace facing the sea, with also an external shower and a hammock. from there we enjoyed the best sunsets of our life.
Inside the big space is divided into a living room, a bathroom and a spacious shower.
The rooms have no windows but only wooden shutters so you sleep almost in the open air and listen the sounds of the ocean during the night... is amazing...
The resort has a beautiful beach with an amazing reef so you can swim and scuba dive very easily.
A small booth on the beach gives you towels, finns, nozzles and all the necessary.
By the beach there is also a little secluded bungalow which is the SPA. Don't miss the massage... the little bed is placed on a footboard facing the sea so you get massage while listening to the sea..unbelievable experience.
The resort offers 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), but if you are starving can order for free selecting something from the snack menu. Meals are served down the main porch. At night if you go for cocktail time, usualy you can enjoy some local choir or activity.
Meals are usually 3 course (appetizer, main dish and desser). If there is something to complain, I would say the meals... I expected the food was cooked there based on the fresh caught of the day but actually no. So you will find very common foods like pasta, pizza, barbecue meat etc...
this would be the only thing I really didn't like.
every day the resort organized activities. We went twice to the private beach and I recommend you do this... every couple has its own private beach. They drop you off in the morning with an umbrella and a cooler with water fresh fruits and some food and come to pick you up in the afternoon. You can pretend to be in Blue Lagoon! walking, swimming, taking pictures.... the nature is so wild and beautiful there that time goes by so fast!
The staff is incredibly friendly and gentle..always at disposal for your needs. We also did the renewal of the vows on the beach and Joe helped me to arrange all the details... really a great staff. They are all local and the commitment made by the property is to always get employed all the staff of the island to create work and wealthiness.
Overall I would say that this is not a 5 star resort in the sense we usually think at. Is still very wild, not known, far away from touristic paths so you have to know what to expect. Wild nature, a beautiful resort, simple but with all the comfort you may need, with zero environmental impact.
Not the right place if you like the maldives style resort..perfect for those who love nature, sea, all comforts, but no need of showoff.

Room Tip: Ask for the most secluded bungalow, should be the number one at the very end of the beach. You will...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EuDiMu
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week in June last year and had the most incredible time.
The bures are very tastefully done, with amazing indoor and out door shower areas.

The beach is stunning, golden sands, colorful hermit crabs and waters rich in coral life - lots of swimming areas and snorkeling areas straight from the rooms and beach out front. As part of the package the resort will also boat you out to your own secluded beach for the day with a packed lunch - what an experience!!

The staff were amazing, all local people who have been part of the yasawa resort 'family' for years and years, they were genuinely wonderful people and we felt very privileged to be able to share their island. The food was always delicious and there was a very good selection. I got the spa special and had the choice of a 1 hour treatment every day, almost right above the lapping waves. The management were also great, making us feel at home.

This is a great place for a relaxing, chilling out to island time, seeing the beautiful sea and a romantic get away. Not a place to go if you want a high energy or exciting holiday!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Nanuya Lailai Island
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!