“Heaven on earth!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Heaven on earth!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Bula Bula! My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon! I couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon. I've never felt more at home at any resort. When we had to leave I was actually sad knowing that we had to say goodbye to the people we became so familiar with. From the 2 Joes, 3 Sams, Charlie, 3 You-lie, Catherine, Jona, Aku, Anna, Ala, Tom, Wati, Arron and Bridget (Their beautiful daughter Willow), Monassa... Sorry if I forgot anyone! We remember you all!

The most wonderful thing about this resort is that you can be as secluded or as involved as you want to be. It is filled with amazing activities each day that you can choose to do all or 1 or none. We tried to do everything we could possibly do. We were so tired by the end of the day that we slept so good at night. We would wake up so early and usually be the first to breakfast. The breakfast buffet was more then enough for me to start the day! With the amazing fresh breads, fruit, nuts and cereal each day. The wait staff always knew our names.

The resort was so well kept. Yes there are bugs but the resort provides you with bug spray and as long as you use it there isn't an issue. I get horrible bug bites usually and I was surprised at how little I got in Fiji. There was trouble with one of the shower head and when I told management they took care of it as fast as possible. There were two shower heads in or deluxe bure plus a shower outside so it didn't both us one bit. It was taken care of with exceptional speed.

We tried to go snorkeling everyday. It was beautiful to see all the fish and water wildlife. Our instructor was amazing!! His name was Charlie! My husband got a faulty snorkel and was taking on a bit of water, the instructor without any question handed his over his to my husband and took my husbands. I was blown away with this!

My husband went fishing and caught some nice fish. Red snapper, Spanish Mackerel and Spotted Mackerel. He almost caught a Giant Trevally but lost it. The guys on the boat were always positive! He had the time of his life! The staff asked him what fish he would like them to cook for dinner and when we went to dinner that night the Spanish Mackerel was on the menu!

I'm a huge foodie! The food was beyond amazing! So many choices and was blown away everyday by the different foods that were available for us to order! The daily bread was to die for!!!!!!! There was one dinner that I didn't like the meat choice and so I asked them if I could have chicken and without any issue they brought me out chicken! They are just sooooo accommodating!

Our spa experience was beyond amazing. A couples massage on the deck of the spa where you can hear the water and wildlife... What more can be said!! AMAZING!!!

I could write for days on here! I just know that our experience exceeded our expectations! The Yasawa Family are amazing and always try to make you feel at home! We will return, there is no doubt about that! I will compare every vacation from here on out to this place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaniAndTim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am typical a cynic when reading reviews - especially when the resort/hotel/restaurant is half way around the world from home. All the superior reviews, I assure you, are spot on.

Fresh flowers adorn table tops, lounge chairs and your bed linens. The staff knows your name after what seems like meer minutes. A sense of genuine and sincere, attentive service is in the air throughout the resort. The food was amazing. The drinks, great. And the surroundings: stunning, wild and so relaxing.

The burres (the 5 star version of thatched huts) were well appointed. Coffees and fridge in your room. Indoor and outdoor showers. Perhaps the most comfortable bed I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping on. Fans. Artwork, Large Closet. Great bathroom. The patios were perfect for a book and a cup of coffee in the morning. The thatched roof coverings over your own personal stretch of beach were great for the afternoon sun. And sitting on the beach, looking at those sunsets...a memory that I will go back to a thousand times.

Many people talk about how amazing the service is, which is IS - but pair that with the amazing location, the landscape and the luxury - you should not pick another resort in Fiji.

If excursions are your type of thing: go to the Blue Lagoon, set up daily picnics on your own seclueded island/beach (seriously, do this as much as possible), snorkel until your heart's content.

But go, it's worth the miles, its worth the cost. It's definitely worth the memories that you'll make.

Room Tip: We stayed in the standard burre which was more than enough space! The folks who stayed in the honey...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MPEP323
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Yasawa Island Resort & Spa in May 2012. It is a lovely island with lots of deserted sandy beaches with great snorkelling. Apart from the very sweet little hermit crabs, we always felt like we had the beach in front of our Bure to ourselves.

Overall we definitely enjoyed our stay but probably wouldn't return, largely because of the food but also partly because we'd probably not bother going all the way to Fiji for a beach holiday (beaches nice but nothing beyond what we could experience staying in Aus).

Pros:
- Local staff were very friendly. This allowed us to forgive a lot of the service issues
- Beach picnics
- Large well equipped and very clean Bure (The Bure suite we stayed in was certainly large enough for the two of us)
- Peaceful relaxing atmosphere
- Yasawa is one of the few islands in Fiji that doesn't seem to have been destroyed (yet) by over-development & a disregard for the environment.
- Spa and the staff were excellent.

Cons:
- Management was more reactive than proactive. For 3 days we relaxed to the piercing sound of a circular saw and other construction noise until we complained.
- Food. They tried to do too much with generally poor ingredients. While I understand that the quality of ingredients will always be compromised when you're on a remote island, it would be better if the kitchen focused on sourcing better quality produce from the mainland while maybe sacrificing variety. Also, the ubiquitous balsamic vinegar reduction: on one day everything seemed to be unnecessarily drizzled in a decorative balsamic reduction, even my scrambled eggs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Louiesaysrelax
Rome, Lazio, Italy
Reviewed December 2, 2012

this is the closest experience to paradise we had in our travels. the resort is just amazing, immersed in green and facing a beautiful sea. the chef will treat you with light and tasty meals, the crew will pamper you driving you to secluded beaches (do not miss lover's beach)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola L
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I must say I did plenty of research when looking at where to stay - I was a constant reader of all the reviews on Trip Advisor - spoke to three different travel agents & finally made the decision that Yasawa Island Resort was the location for our honeymoon.
I can say we definitely weren't disappointed!!
We arrived at Nadi Airport after 5 nights at the Sheraton & were shown to the small 8 seater plane which we would be flying to Yasawa on. To say I was nervous would be an understatement! But after a 35 minute flight (which was smoother than some of the larger aircrafts I've travelled on) we landed on a grass runway & were welcomed to "Yasawa Airport" by Aaron & some Fijian locals saying "bula bula" - very nice!
Aaron then drove us to the resort where the staff sang us a welcome song.... I couldn't stop smiling - everyone here seemed so welcoming & happy & from the moment we arrived it was like we were treated like a part of their family rather than just another guest as you are treated in some of the bigger resorts.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to Lomalagi! After googling what this word means I found out it was Fijian for heaven and let me tell you this bure really was heaven! Our own private pool, a beautiful view in our secluded room which was about a 10 minute walk down the beach from the main part of the resort (or if you are feeling lazy the staff are more than happy to pick you up & drive you back)... the hardest part was making a choice between the day bed, the hammock or the banana chairs! If you can afford to book this room - GO FOR IT! You will not regret it!
The resort as a whole was beautiful. The food was devine. Fresh seafood, great flavours - it was definitely worthy of any of the top restaurants around the world! My favourite dish would have to be the Lobster & Prawn Risotto I had on the first night! You definitely aren't underfed with a large breakfast selection, a 2 course lunch & a 3 course dinner. Then if you are hungry during the day you can also order from their all day menu... or just snack on the delicious fresh cookies which are in your room!
The activities were great. Everyday there was something different on. We went snorkelling, to the blue lagoon caves, visited the village & went to their church service, played beach volleyball with the staff but my favourite day was probably the private picnic. We went to Yuwini Island & it was the most beautiful spot I've ever been. White sand, turquoise water, great swimming & snorkelling, an umbrella & an esky full of food & drink (a bottle of champagne was a must)! We were dropped off around 11am & they came back around 3:30pm... great day out (though lather sunscreen... we applied twice & still got a little bit red).
The staff is definitely a big part of what makes this resort so amazing. They all take the time to learn people's names & have a chat with you. They all make you feel extremely welcome and you can tell just by the interaction between themselves that they are like a big family! You must talk to Manasa - he has great stories from the beginning of Yasawa Island Resort as he has been around & helped to change the laws in Fiji to allow the resort to be built!
I hope my review helps anyone considering going to Yasawa Island Resort. I can tell you that we'll definitely be back again!

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the honeymoon bure.... AMAZING! Though all rooms looked nice & priva...
4 Thank L0zzie_b
San Diego
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I sat on the fence for a while before I actually booked this resort. Since I was planning my wedding, I wanted to be sure that I found the perfect spot... and I'm happy to say that it couldn't have been better than this. My husband and I had a few top criteria - white sand beaches, clear water, snorkeling right off the resort and a picture-perfect location for the wedding. We got it all (and more) at this amazing destination.

I think what stands out the most about this place is the solitude and privacy that it affords - you can book an entire goregous beach to yourselves for the day, complete with gourmet picnic made to your own specifications. And since the coast is lined with beaches, you can chose a different one every day. The food was amazing, the accommodations were top-notch and the service was always warm and welcoming.

I highly recommend this resort for anyone considering an exotic wedding, honeymoon or romantic vacation in Fiji (you seriously don’t need to look at any other resorts – this place has everything you could ever want for a Fijian dream vacation). It was an unforgettable experience and an incredible memory that my husband and I will cherish forever. Vinaka vaka levu Yasawa Islands Resort.

Room Tip: If you say in the duplex bures, ask about Sub Zero.
2 Thank InSearchOfSurf
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Having now stayed at 5 of the resorts on the Yasawa and Mamanuca chain of islands I can say with some experience that Yasawa Island Resort and Spa is unique in its' approach to their guest's Fijian experience. From the moment you arrive you feel like you are joining a group of sincere friends that are determined to make you want to move in and stay forever. You feel genuinely liked by all the staff and a part of their extended family. Absolutely; the place is beautiful, the beach one of the best in the world, the food more than gourmet, the accommodations wonderful and spacious, the private picnics romantically dreamy and the snorkelling trips spectacular. If you want a time warp trip back to the real Fiji that includes 5 star service and the friendliest people you will ever meet, definitely go here before anywhere else, and then be prepared to be spoiled. Manassa, Waite, Keri, Cathy, Agi, Samy (and Sami) and all the rest...you rock! Ala, your smile lights up the room! Bridget and Aaron, you are to be congratulated for setting the tone and encouraging your staff to be their gracious selves...we'll be back!
Ed and Victoria

Room Tip: The regular bures were more than great but for a splurge check out the larger units.
2 Thank Ed A
#1 of 1 in Turtle Island
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!