I must say I did plenty of research when looking at where to stay - I was a constant reader of all the reviews on Trip Advisor - spoke to three different travel agents & finally made the decision that Yasawa Island Resort was the location for our honeymoon.
I can say we definitely weren't disappointed!!
We arrived at Nadi Airport after 5 nights at the Sheraton & were shown to the small 8 seater plane which we would be flying to Yasawa on. To say I was nervous would be an understatement! But after a 35 minute flight (which was smoother than some of the larger aircrafts I've travelled on) we landed on a grass runway & were welcomed to "Yasawa Airport" by Aaron & some Fijian locals saying "bula bula" - very nice!
Aaron then drove us to the resort where the staff sang us a welcome song.... I couldn't stop smiling - everyone here seemed so welcoming & happy & from the moment we arrived it was like we were treated like a part of their family rather than just another guest as you are treated in some of the bigger resorts.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to Lomalagi! After googling what this word means I found out it was Fijian for heaven and let me tell you this bure really was heaven! Our own private pool, a beautiful view in our secluded room which was about a 10 minute walk down the beach from the main part of the resort (or if you are feeling lazy the staff are more than happy to pick you up & drive you back)... the hardest part was making a choice between the day bed, the hammock or the banana chairs! If you can afford to book this room - GO FOR IT! You will not regret it!
The resort as a whole was beautiful. The food was devine. Fresh seafood, great flavours - it was definitely worthy of any of the top restaurants around the world! My favourite dish would have to be the Lobster & Prawn Risotto I had on the first night! You definitely aren't underfed with a large breakfast selection, a 2 course lunch & a 3 course dinner. Then if you are hungry during the day you can also order from their all day menu... or just snack on the delicious fresh cookies which are in your room!
The activities were great. Everyday there was something different on. We went snorkelling, to the blue lagoon caves, visited the village & went to their church service, played beach volleyball with the staff but my favourite day was probably the private picnic. We went to Yuwini Island & it was the most beautiful spot I've ever been. White sand, turquoise water, great swimming & snorkelling, an umbrella & an esky full of food & drink (a bottle of champagne was a must)! We were dropped off around 11am & they came back around 3:30pm... great day out (though lather sunscreen... we applied twice & still got a little bit red).
The staff is definitely a big part of what makes this resort so amazing. They all take the time to learn people's names & have a chat with you. They all make you feel extremely welcome and you can tell just by the interaction between themselves that they are like a big family! You must talk to Manasa - he has great stories from the beginning of Yasawa Island Resort as he has been around & helped to change the laws in Fiji to allow the resort to be built!
I hope my review helps anyone considering going to Yasawa Island Resort. I can tell you that we'll definitely be back again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yasawa Island Resort & Spa is an exclusive retreat on one of the most remote and unspoiled islands of Fiji. Just 18 luxury bungalows are hidden among luscious tropical greenery, each only a few steps from a pristine, silky white-sand beach. Celebrated for its pristine location, Yasawa Island Resort & Spa has offered guests from around the globe unique, authentic and enriching travel experiences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Agoda, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Yasawa Island Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yasawa Island Hotel Yasawa Island
- Yasawa Island Resort And Spa Yasawa Islands, Fiji