“Heaven sure is a place on earth!”

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I must say I did plenty of research when looking at where to stay - I was a constant reader of all the reviews on Trip Advisor - spoke to three different travel agents & finally made the decision that Yasawa Island Resort was the location for our honeymoon.
I can say we definitely weren't disappointed!!
We arrived at Nadi Airport after 5 nights at the Sheraton & were shown to the small 8 seater plane which we would be flying to Yasawa on. To say I was nervous would be an understatement! But after a 35 minute flight (which was smoother than some of the larger aircrafts I've travelled on) we landed on a grass runway & were welcomed to "Yasawa Airport" by Aaron & some Fijian locals saying "bula bula" - very nice!
Aaron then drove us to the resort where the staff sang us a welcome song.... I couldn't stop smiling - everyone here seemed so welcoming & happy & from the moment we arrived it was like we were treated like a part of their family rather than just another guest as you are treated in some of the bigger resorts.
We were lucky enough to be upgraded to Lomalagi! After googling what this word means I found out it was Fijian for heaven and let me tell you this bure really was heaven! Our own private pool, a beautiful view in our secluded room which was about a 10 minute walk down the beach from the main part of the resort (or if you are feeling lazy the staff are more than happy to pick you up & drive you back)... the hardest part was making a choice between the day bed, the hammock or the banana chairs! If you can afford to book this room - GO FOR IT! You will not regret it!
The resort as a whole was beautiful. The food was devine. Fresh seafood, great flavours - it was definitely worthy of any of the top restaurants around the world! My favourite dish would have to be the Lobster & Prawn Risotto I had on the first night! You definitely aren't underfed with a large breakfast selection, a 2 course lunch & a 3 course dinner. Then if you are hungry during the day you can also order from their all day menu... or just snack on the delicious fresh cookies which are in your room!
The activities were great. Everyday there was something different on. We went snorkelling, to the blue lagoon caves, visited the village & went to their church service, played beach volleyball with the staff but my favourite day was probably the private picnic. We went to Yuwini Island & it was the most beautiful spot I've ever been. White sand, turquoise water, great swimming & snorkelling, an umbrella & an esky full of food & drink (a bottle of champagne was a must)! We were dropped off around 11am & they came back around 3:30pm... great day out (though lather sunscreen... we applied twice & still got a little bit red).
The staff is definitely a big part of what makes this resort so amazing. They all take the time to learn people's names & have a chat with you. They all make you feel extremely welcome and you can tell just by the interaction between themselves that they are like a big family! You must talk to Manasa - he has great stories from the beginning of Yasawa Island Resort as he has been around & helped to change the laws in Fiji to allow the resort to be built!
I hope my review helps anyone considering going to Yasawa Island Resort. I can tell you that we'll definitely be back again!

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the honeymoon bure.... AMAZING! Though all rooms looked nice & priva...
4  Thank L0zzie_b

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I sat on the fence for a while before I actually booked this resort. Since I was planning my wedding, I wanted to be sure that I found the perfect spot... and I'm happy to say that it couldn't have been better than this. My husband and I had a few top criteria - white sand beaches, clear water, snorkeling right off the resort and a picture-perfect location for the wedding. We got it all (and more) at this amazing destination.

I think what stands out the most about this place is the solitude and privacy that it affords - you can book an entire goregous beach to yourselves for the day, complete with gourmet picnic made to your own specifications. And since the coast is lined with beaches, you can chose a different one every day. The food was amazing, the accommodations were top-notch and the service was always warm and welcoming.

I highly recommend this resort for anyone considering an exotic wedding, honeymoon or romantic vacation in Fiji (you seriously don’t need to look at any other resorts – this place has everything you could ever want for a Fijian dream vacation). It was an unforgettable experience and an incredible memory that my husband and I will cherish forever. Vinaka vaka levu Yasawa Islands Resort.

Room Tip: If you say in the duplex bures, ask about Sub Zero.
2  Thank InSearchOfSurf
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Having now stayed at 5 of the resorts on the Yasawa and Mamanuca chain of islands I can say with some experience that Yasawa Island Resort and Spa is unique in its' approach to their guest's Fijian experience. From the moment you arrive you feel like you are joining a group of sincere friends that are determined to make you want to move in and stay forever. You feel genuinely liked by all the staff and a part of their extended family. Absolutely; the place is beautiful, the beach one of the best in the world, the food more than gourmet, the accommodations wonderful and spacious, the private picnics romantically dreamy and the snorkelling trips spectacular. If you want a time warp trip back to the real Fiji that includes 5 star service and the friendliest people you will ever meet, definitely go here before anywhere else, and then be prepared to be spoiled. Manassa, Waite, Keri, Cathy, Agi, Samy (and Sami) and all the rest...you rock! Ala, your smile lights up the room! Bridget and Aaron, you are to be congratulated for setting the tone and encouraging your staff to be their gracious selves...we'll be back!
Ed and Victoria

Room Tip: The regular bures were more than great but for a splurge check out the larger units.
2  Thank Ed A
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Bula Bula
I have been reading the last reviews and all I do is smile. Everything written is true and just sums up the absolutely wonderful experience you will find at Yasawa. The ownership should be proud of their vision of taking on Aaron and Bridget as the managers of the Resort. I don't know if they put together this staff or they inherited them and guided them, but this was a finely oiled working staff that truly seemed to enjoy their co workers and all the guests. It wouldn't serve any purpose to single any one out, they were all outstanding. The food, the grounds, the accommodations, the activities and the cultural experience was just the best. Bridget and Aaron were always there to help, and we enjoyed their Company and conversations at Cocktail hour every night. We are very well traveled and rate Yasawa as one of the top places we have visited over the years. Bridget, we will write you a separate e-mail and give you some info on the diving on "the other side" with the Island Dancer.
Vinaka

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank enzoed
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Visiting Yasawa is truly like going back in time to an island that is as untouched by commercial tourism as humanly possible. The only resort on the island is Yasawa and the place is absolutely amazing. Anything you want was what we heard right when we got there and they really did anything we wanted. The service was not only the best i have had in my many travels around the world, it was genuine. These are the most welcoming people i have ever met.

There are very few places like Yasawa left in the world and if you can make a trip there happen , you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you want the best Bure on the island with total privacy, get the LomaLagi Bure....private pool, 5...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paul T
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Where do you start when you stay at paradise? The short 32 minute flight from Nandi was excellent and landed on a grass landing strip. We were welcomed by the manager Aaron (Who we had met previously at Orpheus island). Then a short trip on the yasawa highway ( a very rough dirt road) and then, OMG, paradise! A beautiful welcome from the staff who sang Fijian songs and then off to our room. We were absolutely delighted! Spacious, clean, beautiful views of the beach and sea, a lovely outdoor shower if you want to feel liberated and a well stocked fridge.
Walk outside and the sand is under your feet. Walk 30 meters and feel the beautiful and warm Fijian sea. We snorkels out front and they have excellent fish li and coral to look at.
All meals are supplied and we had no complaints. Go on a fishing trip and they will prepare your catch the way you like it. We caught tuna, coral trout, trevally and jobfish.
THE STAFF....are just wonderful. The oldest member whose name is Manasa has been at the resort from its inception and has the bar named after him. He is always smiling and happy as they all are. We loved a lady called Ala. cheeky, fun and provided excellent service. They staff all sing and they have themed nights. Fantastic!!
We will definitely return.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Steve H
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I recently spent part of our honeymoon at Yasawa Island Resort (actually at the same time Tsukiko S below stayed).

There are few words one can use when you first lay eyes on Yasawa Island Resort and it's beach. It is breathtakingly beautiful.

We had come from a stay in Tokoriki (for first part of honeymoon), and it took me a day to settle in to Yasawa, which I felt at first I may not like. How very wrong I was.

Yasawas draw cards comes from it's remoteness, it's intimacy, and it's closeness (the staff, the surroundings, and the beach). Add in 5 star service and you have a resort which could easily be the best Fiji has to offer.

You arrive in a small twin prop plane to an airstrip which is literally a mowed section of grass. Children from nearby villages wave and smile and get so excited as you arrive.

Staff from Yasawa meet and greet you and from there it's a short 5-10 minute drive to the resort.

First comes the traditional Bula welcome song whilst you check in, and your bags are taken to your bure. If you've missed lunch, don't fret because the everyday menu can provide you with some food after the 35 minute flight.

We had the Deluxe freestanding Bure (no 15). They are numbered 6-16 with 16 being the furthest from main bure and nearest to spa (more on this later). The bures are absolutely HUGE split level open planned. 2 decks (middle deck out from bedroom, lower deck from entry lounge area), then you have an enormous bathroom and innovative outdoor shower.

Staff are fantastic with the 2 Joes, 3 Sami’s, Manasa, Kathy and Aggie in the spa, and everybody else really making our stay so enjoyable.

Food at the resort is worthy of sitting amongst hatted restaurants in Sydney. Having eaten at a number of high end hatted places in Sydney (including Quay), food served at Yasawa could easily claim a hat if served up in a Sydney establishment, it is that good.

Speaking of food, breakfast special and buffet, 2 course lunch, 3 course dinner. I was starting to fear I wouldn't fit in the plane on the way back, but alas I put on a mere 1kg whilst there for 7 days.

One night my wife wasn't feeling too well, so the chefs prepared a special pasta and vegetables for her, and Sami brought it to our bure. This was a really thoughtful and touching action that we really appreciated.

My wife had the spa treatment package whilst away, and said she loved every single part of it. If you love your spa's or pampering your loved one, it is a must.

Speaking of "musts", you MUST put a visit to Yasawa on your bucket list. When you visit, MAKE SURE you do a private beach picnic, and cross your fingers Champagne Beach is available. It is, without a doubt, the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. White powder sand, water as clear as the eye can see, and just you and your picnic for 4 hours. WOW

Make sure you also check out the lookout (walk towards Lomalagi the honeymoon bure, then follow the sign). The view is one of the most stunning sights you'll see, and well worth the walk. Just don't do it during the middle of the day.

I'll address a comment some may have about bugs. YIR is in the remotest part of Fiji, alone on an island as the only resort. The barking geckos will take care of most of the small bugs, and you get the odd spider or millipede. If it worries you close up the bure each night, light up a mosquito coil and leave it going with the aircon/fan off, and use the surface spray on the door surrounds. That keeps most stuff out. It is no worse than any other resort in Fiji.

Finally I'd just like to highlight Aaron and Bridget the new managers at Yasawa Island Resort. Every night they'd come down and chat during cocktail hour, and they were always around to have a chat. YIR's staff are fantastic, and Aaron and Bridget will be an excellent asset to the resort for years to come. I wish them all the very best, and hopefully will return one day in the future again.

In terms of high end resorts in Fiji, Yasawa Island Resort holds it's head very high, and could very well be the best resort in Fiji, and that would be very well deserved.

Room Tip: Spend the extra on the Deluxe freestanding bures. They aren't much more, but they are MASSIVE, a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Nanuya Lailai Island
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!