“A place of luxury in a sea of calm”

Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yasawa Island
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We wanted to get away from a busy life and be pampered amidst sun, sea and friendly people. This resort really does overdeliver on its promise- we got all the above and more. From the welcome to the farewell we had a great time. Excellent food (thanks Jona), great massages at the spa and friendly staff. The village visit with Manassa was a highlight, the ocean was clean and clear and WARM, and we could be as busy or as lazy as we wished. We enjoyed our trek through the bush to the telecom mast (great vies of the island) and our several boat trips for snorkelling. We really were sad to lave and will definitley be returning.

Room Tip: The rooms north of the lobby are in a garden setting while those to the south are more beach settin...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brent M
There are newer reviews for Yasawa Island Resort and Spa

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Hello Aaron, Bridget and the sah yah wah Yasawa team!

Thank you so very much for giving us such wonderful holiday in your Fiji paradise. We want to express to all of the awesome Yasawa team our gratitude for the wonderful experience you gave us during our stay at Yasawa.

We have never visited a resort quite like Yasawa, It's hard to describe how you made us feel, but words like welcoming, fun, friendly, warm hearted, committed, talented and beautiful people come to mind. We really appreciated how each of you gave to us and how you made our visit so special. Nothing was too much trouble.

From our first contact by email the resort was so great to deal with and you continued to tune in to our needs for all of our visit. Joe, thank you so much for making us feel special from the start. Talk about great first impressions being so important. Joe you nailed it for us!

To Manasa and the dining room team, thank you so much for your first class service and for being so much fun!

Manasa, we wanted to thank you for taking us to your village and for sharing with us so much about your life, the unique relationship between families in the village and the wisdom of the Chief and how it has created such a successful and fine balance between the resort and your village community. You showed us how traditional Fiji life can be protected and coexist with our western world.

The activities staff were great, looking after us so well during our picnic, snorkeling trips and excursion to the Blue Lagoon Caves. Oh and the dive with Atu was amazing, thanks Atu for showing us your underwater paradise!

To the chefs and kitchen staff, you prepare the most delicious  and healthy food. We loved it. Always something different and so well presented.

Seeing cathy every day in the spa was a highlight of our visit. It was great to be spoilt every day with massages and treatments, highly recommend the spa package!

Aaron and Bridget, we really appreciated the way you made us feel so welcome, it was great to hear you talk so highly of your staff and your aspirations for the resort. As a couple you bring so much to Yasawa and we wish you well.

We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Neatsv
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My wife and I were lucky enough to have booked this resort as part of our honeymoon, through Costco Travel (great deals btw). We stayed 7 nights in this paradise. I would highly recommend Yasawa Island Resort to anyone considering a stay in Fiji. If you are debating between two resorts, pick this one! The food is excellent. The private beach picnics are unique to this resort and amazing. The staff may be the nicest people on earth. The bures are very nice with great views of the beach right out your front door. The spa is top notch. I cannot think of anything even remotely negative in regards to this wonderful place. This is a 5 star resort not a mid grade hotel, so expect to pay accordingly. It is a very good value for your money and you definitely get what you pay for. Simply put, Go!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phillip N
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have just returned from a magical 8 nights in paradise. Our family (children aged 9,7, and 4) were privileged enough to have experienced the wonder that is Yasawa. It was a very relaxing holiday where all our needs were met and we felt cared for and nurtured. The rooms were beautiful in an understated manner. The meals were lovely and the location outstanding. The staff however were what made it a holiday unlike any we had had before. Their care and service was outstanding. We shed tears as we left and are planning our return soon.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mollymumE
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have just returned from my second stay at Yasawa and I can only say I wish I didn't live so far away or there would be more! Last year we visited
with friends on our way back from Australia. This year it was just my partner and I and it was completely sublime. A perfect couple's getaway from a busy
and hectic life!

One of the great new additions to Yasawa since our last visit are General Managers Aaron & Bridget - they are such fantastic hosts and no request is too much
trouble for them… they even organised the most beautiful lobster dinner for us on the beach to celebrate our anniversary. Our small concerns from our last trip
have been addressed and/or improved upon by the resort's owners - which was so great to see… the gardens have flourished; the rooms have been infused
with lighter colours, lovely new soft furnishings and gorgeous mahogany decks; the staff look so smart in their new uniforms; the housekeeping girls did a beautiful
job keeping our lovely villa clean each day and we wouldn't have thought that the staff could get any better, but I guess because they remembered us from last year,
we felt even more like family this time around.

Bugs? A definite improvement from our last stay. Yes, we had a couple visit our room during this visit, but that's all it was. It's an island in the middle of nowhere for
goodness sake! Any notion that it was an invasion is a fabrication by those that would be better off staying at a sterile, boring Sheraton in Hawaii.

Jerry one of our fellow guests during our stay said to me on our last morning that staying at Yasawa was like having your mind and spirit massaged every
single day, I couldn't agree more!

To all of the amazing staff at Yasawa, I hope I will have the chance to return for a third trip some day.

PS: Definitely book at least one beach picnic while you are there! Incredible!!!

Room Tip: All the bures are special, but the honeymoon bure is definitely outstanding!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 10allycat
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and stayed here on our honeymoon along with two other resorts in Fiji while we were there. Our travel agent found this resort and promised us a 5 star experience. We had no idea that the resort had been closed for a year and was still under renovations when we arrived. The tennis court was overgrown and not usable, and the grounds were still being worked on. It surely wasn't what you would expect when you pay nearly $1,000 USD a day. I still, to this day, feel that we should not have been charged that much in the light of the closing and renovations, but we never complained or spoke up. This is because the staff was unbelievably welcoming.

The management mentioned that people had complained about bugs but, what can they expect in a remote tropical island. I immediately knew I could not complain. The first night was a nightmare when I could not sleep when I saw the swarm of bugs coming underneath our doors and climbing onto our bed. We used every poison and spray available, but they just kept coming. We stayed there for 6 nights and I can honestly say I did not sleep a single night in that room. I sat up with a flashlight protecting my husband from the swarm each night. I got my sleep by the pool during the day or in the movie/computer room. I understand that this is a tropical location that is remote, however I have traveled to Costa Rica, Thailand, Tahiti, and Hawaii, and I have never seen so many bugs in our rooms. We even stayed at another resort in Fiji on another island and we did not have that experience at all. Yes, we did see a few bugs, but nothing like the uncontrollable swarm that invaded our space in Yasawa. I understand the need to not disturb the natural eco there, however, I think better engineered doors (sealing the bottoms) would help greatly in eliminating the influx each evening. Especially, if this resort is going to be listed as 5 star.

The staff did ask us to fill out a survey at the end of our trip, regrettably, I was not honest. I avoid confrontation as much as possible and did not want to upset or make a situation uncomfortable. I have felt bad about this as I have read several very happy reviews and felt that there was a misrepresentation of the whole picture and felt that it was owed to people like myself that are looking for a place to visit to give them my experience.

That was honestly the only really bad thing on my list. Other than that, we loved the island. The food was amazing, the massages were to die for from Aggie. The activities were plentiful and the village visit was a wonderful experience. This is definitely a place worth going to, especially if they can control some of the bug infestation, but that's all.

I'm sorry it took me a year to write a review, but I do feel that a true depiction of our experience needed to be said. I rate it a 2 star experience, only because on a vacation you should feel safe to sleep at night and not be concerned about what might be crawling you.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
30  Thank P K
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Bula and thank you for your posting.

I am however not sure of your motivation to write a review 12 months since you purportedly stayed with us. I notice that you have also already just joined trip advisor and have only ever rated our property so it seems that you joined with the intention of writing this negative report. As you say you didn’t pass any negative comments on to us during your stay, your guests comment form on departure was positive and you overall comments on trip advisor are very positive with one exception – the bugs. We pride ourselves on reacting to timely and relevant guest feedback but unfortunately in this case with 12 months between the date you say you stayed with us it is not possible to do so.

Our recent guest comments indicate the overwhelming positive response we have been receiving, including our recent trip advisor certificate of Excellence rating.

Vinaka,

James McCann - Owner

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We had very high expectations for Yasawa Island Resort, but the bugs in the bures were a horrible disappointment!!! There were more millipedes than I could count crawling everywhere in our bure. They were on the walls, on the cushions on the furniture but the worst was in the bed. We complained after we found them in the bed and were moved to another bure. In the second bure we also had four inch roaches. I understand that Yasawa is a tropical island but this was a 5 Star Resort with 5 Star prices. There was nothing 5 Star quality about the resort. The island is absolutely beautiful and the staff were super friendly. However I did not feel safe in our bure. The one time I sat on the furniture at night a 5 inch red millipede came crawling out of the cushions. I woke many times at night and shone my flashlight to find bugs and remove them from the bed. We recognize that Yasawa Island Resort is in a very remote and isolated location but at $1000.00 per day we expected a much higher quality resort. In talking with our fellow guests many of them also complained about the bugs in their bures. One guest said that he felt safer on an African safari than in their bure. The positives were the friendly, welcoming staff, the location was stunning, and the owners were very nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Janice M
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Bula and thank you for your guest comment.

Being on one of the most remote and beautiful parts of Fiji we are lucky to be surrounded by some of the most stunning and naturally beautiful environment anywhere, both on land under under the ocean. The environment is teamed with beauty but naturally does come with animals, bugs and the like that are not found in cities and urban environments. We do our best to ensure our clients are not affected by the harmeless natural critters by our bug control programme but balance the poison, sprays and toxins we generate to control these so it is not a detriment to the eco system..

Taken in balance against the many 5 star comments we have received over recent weeks and the hundreds of comments made by guests on their departure but not listed on trip advisor we feel we are delivering one of the best guest experiences in the most beautiful part of Fiji.

Vinaka,

#1 of 1 in Turtle Island
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
Oarsman's Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Nacula Island

Been to Yasawa Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!