“must do”

Half-Day Sawailau Cave Tour from the Yasawa Islands
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Highly recommended to anyone who is up for a little adventure. But for people who is claustrophobia or not a very good swimmer I do suggest not going to the second chamber.

We came from Blue Lagoon Resort and the two guides in the cave are very helpful and made the "swim into underwater entrance" very safe. Remember to use mask/goggles (like the one used for snorkelling) but not the usual swim glasses. The water in the cave is perfectly clean as it comes and goes with the tides.But the whole view in the cave is depend on weather condition. Make sure you choose a fine day to the cave for the best experience.

All reviews
"fantastic place"
"whole experience"
"your eyes"

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Make sure you swim into the second cave. You only have to hold your breath a few seconds and the guides are right there to help you. It is so worth it. My husband was a little scared at first, but he was very glad that he did it. One of my favorite experiences in Fiji! Bring your googles so you can look under the water!

2  Thank Travel_JessD
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The tide was half way to full during our trip and the dive into the middle caves was way too deep and dark for our 9 and 11 year old children. My husband went first and came back saying, no way, so we sat with the youngest crying from disappointment in the very smelly, grubby water of the main cave until the group returned. One of the group, a Mum in her 50s, was visibly upset from claustrophobia and was shaking for ten to fifteen minutes afterward. The guides had only one torch between them, which was surprising, as at the very least two torches would be needed for safety in the total darkness of the middle cave.

I have since found a definite report of a 27 year old Irish tourist drowning here on a guided trip in 2008 (you can find this on a google search for Sawa-i-lau drowning, Fiji times online) and have found an unconfirmed report on a blog of a local school girl drowning here in 2011. I think this is a good day trip for adults who are confident swimmers, but am surprised that children under 12 are allowed, and wouldn't advise it.

8  Thank FamilyonHolidays_11
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I think this trip is very dependent on sunshine and love of going underwater! When i went it was cloudy so when we got into the caves..its wasn't very impressive. The water looked murky..there were no fish ect to view. Only go on this trip if you like to swim underwater as you need to plunge under the water in between the rocks in order to get into the next chamber of water which is in total darkness. If you like the sound of that and its a sunny day then go for it you'll prob really enjoy the trip. However if the idea of going fully underwater passing under rocks freaks you out then dont go...it wont be worth the money!

3  Thank stef933