“MUST DO”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“MUST DO”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Make sure you swim into the second cave. You only have to hold your breath a few seconds and the guides are right there to help you. It is so worth it. My husband was a little scared at first, but he was very glad that he did it. One of my favorite experiences in Fiji! Bring your googles so you can look under the water!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Travel_JessD

Sydney, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Not for children”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The tide was half way to full during our trip and the dive into the middle caves was way too deep and dark for our 9 and 11 year old children. My husband went first and came back saying, no way, so we sat with the youngest crying from disappointment in the very smelly, grubby water of the main cave until the group returned. One of the group, a Mum in her 50s, was visibly upset from claustrophobia and was shaking for ten to fifteen minutes afterward. The guides had only one torch between them, which was surprising, as at the very least two torches would be needed for safety in the total darkness of the middle cave.

I have since found a definite report of a 27 year old Irish tourist drowning here on a guided trip in 2008 (you can find this on a google search for Sawa-i-lau drowning, Fiji times online) and have found an unconfirmed report on a blog of a local school girl drowning here in 2011. I think this is a good day trip for adults who are confident swimmers, but am surprised that children under 12 are allowed, and wouldn't advise it.

Visited April 2012
8 Thank FamilyonHolidays_11
England, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“dont see what the fuss is about”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I think this trip is very dependent on sunshine and love of going underwater! When i went it was cloudy so when we got into the caves..its wasn't very impressive. The water looked murky..there were no fish ect to view. Only go on this trip if you like to swim underwater as you need to plunge under the water in between the rocks in order to get into the next chamber of water which is in total darkness. If you like the sound of that and its a sunny day then go for it you'll prob really enjoy the trip. However if the idea of going fully underwater passing under rocks freaks you out then dont go...it wont be worth the money!

Visited November 2011
3 Thank stef933
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Swimming in clear turquoise waters”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I've not been in these kind of caves before so I totally loved the calm water and slightly spooky feel, and swimming underwater to get to the inner caves... oh, and the echo!

Visited December 2011
Kingston, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A fun day for everyone”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We went on a early boat trip from Blue Lagoon Resort. As promised we were the first there and had the caves to ourselves. I wasn't going to do the underwater into the second cave bit. But did! and it wasn't very hard. The two guides were excellent. One guided my head through so I couldnt hit it on the low rocky ceiling. They had a foam floating platform to hang on to. The water is deep. It was lovely floating around the interesting cave formations. The first cave has an opening to the sky. The second is dark. The guides had torches and took us to the end where we sat on a ledge while taking in the information about the caves. There were several small children who enjoyed it as much as we did. After exiting the caves there is an informal market set up by the villages so you could buy crafts too.

Visited September 2011