“Beautiful place, friendly staff, I loved it.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Sandy Beach Dive Resort

White Sandy Beach Dive Resort
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Beautiful place, friendly staff, I loved it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Having read the other views I noticed a lot of the older ones point to issues, but having just visited there I did not encounter those issues. I suspect that the review which mentions dogs being kicked was from another island, because I don't recognise that bathroom at all.

The island was great, from the start to finish. There was a guitar playing, song singing greeting when I arrived, followed shortly by lunch. Yes, there are drums played to let you know what time the meals are served, and there is not food served at other times, but I brought some snack food on the mainland so I was never hungry. The food was good, a little on the small portion side but I eat a lot so I suspect most people would have found it okay. There was a great chicken meal the second night. Most meals included rice. We had cake one night. Breackfasts were pancakes cereal, and dumplings. Orange juice was served with one meal, breackfast I think.

I chose this island specifically because I looked at it on Google Easrth and wanted to go bush walking. It was ideal for that. I wanted to be away from people and crowds. It was perfect for that purpose. I think there was at most 12 guests on the island. When I left there were 5. If you walk over to Honeymoon beach, please note it is an easy walk, but a bit steep. The local land owner asks for a $2 Fiji donation, about a dollar Australian. It was well worth it, that is a very nice beach and you get it almost to yourself.

As others have pointed out, the beach at low tide has a coral reef, at high tide you can walk way out and snorkle there. Be prepared to wade to and from the boat at low tide though.

I'm not sure what the whingers are whinging about this place. It was beautiful, quiet, the staff were wonderful and not intrusive, and the food adequate. I slept in a Bure and was very happy with it. It was clean, has a toilet, outdoor shower and electricity at set times. The beaches were beautiful and white, the hammocks were so inviting!

My only gripes were that gthe toilet paper tended not to be restocked and that the local men tended to be over eagre to get into female gueusts beds.

I think some of the negative reviews indicate too high expectations for a basic one coconut (as the company puts it) resort.

Room Tip: The Bures were nice, though basic. The dorm room by the sea was also very nice. Some Bures seemed to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

White sandy beach resort was amazing.
The best staff who are all so friendly and happy. Awesome vibe, relaxing and amazing! After dinner they usually did a performance for us and then hosted really fun games after we would all chill by a bonfire and play guitar and sing songs. Was awesome.
Scuba diving is available and was so pretty! So much fish and lots of beautiful colourful coral.
Dorms and private rooms available. Food wasn't too bad however at all the islands it was roughly the same.
Would for sure go back!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Drossi01
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was the 2nd of 3 resorts I stayed at - the resort itself, although compact is well-laid out, with a few hammocks scattered around. The beach is a bit ugly and unfriendly at low tide, and location wise its not terribly flash. Unfortunately due to being stuck in bed all day on my full day there (food poisoning from another resort) I didn't get to do the snorklling which apparently is fantastic. 2 nights is more than enough here, the staff were quire friendly, and the food was not half bad.

Room Tip: The dorm was more than satisfactory, mosquito nets all around, and well lit at night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here in the 8 bed dorm and was pleasantly surprised with how nice the room was, we all had mosquito nets and the toilets and showers werent too bad either. The staff were pretty non existant but we were there on a sunday which is their day off so no activities ran which is a real shame! The food was hit and miss, sometimes we had 3 course meals and sonetimes we just had a bowl of rice. evening entertainment was the same both nights but its the same on most islands really, we had fun playing games. the beach is lovely and the hammocks are great its just a shame the place was let down by the staff.

Room Tip: the dorm is the cheapest and its really nice, mosquito nets and only one set of bunk beds in the who...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Queenstown, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

After reading all of the negative reviews we had very low expectations, but ended up having a great time! We were in a dorm with 8 beds (4 bunk beds) and had a really nice stay (2 nights here is ideal). Here are some details:

STAFF/SERVICE: Typical Fijian hospitality…very friendly and accommodating.

AMENITIES:
-We booked the Awesome Adventures “Lazy Threesome” Package, which included all meals. Past reviews really paint a dim picture on the food but we really enjoyed it and never went hungry (and I am a big eater). Breakfast included cereal, fruit and toast, lunch was typically one plate and vegetarian (not the most filling), but dinner was plentiful and one night they did a traditional Fijian feast cooked in the Lavo (the crab was great). They will ask if you have allergies but then do not actually review what you write so be sure to remind them before your meals. Drinking water was not provided with each meal so be prepared to buy a large water for $6.
-Drinks – Beer was about $5 and a rum with a can of coke was $10. *Tip - There is nothing stopping you from bringing your own bottle and mixer, but don’t wait until Port Denaru to do your shopping…it’s incredibly overpriced for booze.
-You can find coconuts and open them yourself for the milk and meat
-Electricity only during certain times of the day

ACTIVITIES:
-Not a whole lot to do besides relax, but we’re not complaining about that
-Ocean is decent but definitely not the clear blue water you might expect and we could not find good snorkeling (even at Honeymoon Beach)
-Swimming is good at high tide
-Nightly entertainment – We were only there 2 nights and both nights had almost identical dances. The crew is talented so this was more comical than actually annoying, although I couldn’t have sat through it for a 3rd night in a row. The games were really great…especially “Bang Bang” and “Water, Sand, Land”
-The staff lit a nice fire each nice…if you’re lucky like us you’ll have someone who can play guitar to make for the idyllic campfire sing-along before bed

ROOM/BATHROOM:
-We were really lucky to get the dorm over the water. Definitely request this over the dorms above the dining hall. At high tide, you are literally above the ocean and the sounds of waves lapping the shore couldn’t be more peaceful at night.
-Bathrooms and showers were clean. No hot water but the water temperature was fine. Water pressure was somewhat of an issue so test all available showers to find the best one.
-Flies were an issue on this island, so bring repellant and use it. Use the bug nets around the beds too (we didn’t but wish we did).

COMMON AREAS:
-Indoor dining area
-Outdoor entertainment and campfire area
-Hammocks
-Volleyball court

LOCATION:
-3.5 hours from Port Denaru
-Truly remote and wonderful to be that far from the mainland…just make sure you have any necessary medications very close by (including asthma sprays and epi pens if necessary)!

For more details about our trip, including pictures, check out our blog post here (copy and paste the link into your browser): http://thecarpediemcouple.com/2012/11/23/watching-the-tide-roll-in/

Cheers,
Mike (one half of The Carpe Diem Couple)

Room Tip: Make sure you get the dorm room over the ocean (not over the dining area).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheCarpeDiemCouple
Coventry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this resort for 2 nights in September 2012 after a recommendation from a fellow traveller i met. I have to say I was dissapointed from start to finish and it found it depressing staying at this resort compared to the other resorts we stayed at. There was nothing white and sandy about the beach here - it was brown and littered with rubbish. The bure were extremly dark and dingy and full of bugs. I found a massive tropical spider in my room when I checked in. During the night we were all bitten by bed bugs which is not what you expect when you go on holiday.
The dining room was horrible. Just like the bure, it was really dark and dingy. The food was absolutely awful and I had to survive on snacks while I stayed here.
Make no mistake this is NOT a dive resort and they don't offer diving or have any qualified diving instructors on sight. The activities on offer here consist of the mantaray snorkelling and that it is. We didnt want to do the trip but each morning at 06.30am the staff knocked on our door to try and get us to do it - how rude!
The staff were also the least friendly we came across in Fiji. At all the other resorts we stayed at, the staff took time to learn our names but the staff here barely spoke to us. It is a real shambles of a resort and I believe "Awesome Adventures" should take them out of their brochure because they do not come up to the same standards as the other 1 coconut properties we stayed at.
Avoid this resort at all costs, it is shabby, boring and ugly resort. There are much better resorts in the Yasawa islands for the same price which offer better bure, food, activities and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dpw369

Travelers are raving about these Yasawa Islands hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Don't mistake it, this is a BUDGET '1 coconut' option, and for that, it is pretty good. Some of the more negative reviewers may have been better off in '2 coconut' accomodation. We stayed in one of the bures, which had a basic clean room, toilet and outdoor shower. The staff were awesome. Very polite and accommodating - the guys are pretty young and love to have a laugh and joke around - this may appeal to a bit of a younger crowd.

Meals are set and are decent enough - the portions were on the small side for some people, but there are snacks that you can buy. Beer is decently priced aswell.

The beach is not necessarily amazing, especially in comparison to other beaches in the region - you can walk over to 'Honeymoon' beach which is nicer.

I cannot recommend the manta ray trip enough. This was truly amazing.. the weather was terrible and many people did not want to go - a few of us went regardless, and could not stop raving about it (the manta rays don't care if it is raining :)

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple