“The best time in the Yasawas!”

White Sandy Beach Dive Resort
Melbourne, Australia
“The best time in the Yasawas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

White Sandy Beach is definitely a stop to make if travelling around the Yasawas! The four of us travelled here as part of the Awesome Adventures Combo Pass, and as such only booked for a dorm, but when we arrived, the staff was nice enough to upgrade us to a private bure out of their own generosity for a night.

The staff of White Sandy Beach definitely make up most of the atmosphere, who by the end of the first day will know you by name and make sure you know them too. The night entertainment was definitely the highlight, with lots of Fijian singing and dancing, and games to get everyone involved. The boys even set up a bonfire on the beach where you spend the rest of the night chatting, singing and joking with other guests and the staff.

The short 10min trek to Honeymoon Beach is definitely worth doing, as you are rewarded with a secluded and beautiful beach, and the snorkelling is amazing. If you're not up for the walk, the snorkelling out the front of the beach at high tide is also great, with unending colours of coral and fish. Do make sure to check the snorkels you pick though, as many of them have obvious holes, and some of them leak slowly. Unfortunately the manta rays were not in season, but I am sure it would've been amazing.

The meals are great here, inclusive of a 3-course meal for dinner and of course lots of fruit. The dorms are not as great, slightly small and a bit of a squeeze. But the entire atmosphere of the place completely made up for it, and if you're looking to have a great and memorable time.. this is definitely the place to be! I recommend this place to anyone visiting the Yasawas, and will definitely go back someday!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Ok well me and my boyfriend who were at the time of stay, backpackers, are used to roughing it and staying in rustic places on the cheap. However, White Sandy is not rustic, it is horrific. Ok, the staff were false and insincere in their welcome. They ignored us when we asked them questions, literally blanked us (incredible right?), and generally made us feel like we were a burden.
The food is served for you like you are a school child at designated dining times at 8;00 am, 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm and you cannot eat anything in between unless you want to (and who would?) £5.00 on a packet of processed coconut cookies mass produced in china!
Their food was vile. And trust me I am not that fussy. The portion size was meagre. I am into lean portions because I like to stay slim on holiday if I can but I mean these portions were pathetic! I heard other people at the resort complain and become angry when they saw how small these portions were. And it is all to reduce costs for the resort. They basically keep costs to a minimum and they don't care about whether you are left faint with hunger or ill from undercooked chicken, flies on your soup and rice which is 4 days old!! I had food poisoning twice at this resort.
There were rats in our room. Dirty rats of an ugly grey palour and who chewed at our bed sheets and generally ruined our sleep. We told the resort owners and they laughed and told us to remove the rats ourselves. Not good service.

The room was tiny and dirty. The bathroom had not been washed since the last user because there was toothpaste in the sink when we arrived and the toilet seat was broken and wet.
Many other travellers complained f the rooms and got no response from the owners.
The island is small and boring with no trips except a manta ray trip which to be honest was not appealing because after 2 nights of food poisoning and bad sleep due to rats manta rays lose their allure!
They lie to you about the tap water, claiming its dirty to make you spend your hard earned money on bottled water at £3-4 a bottle. I am really not exaggerating. It was terrible! Just use water purifcation tablets in the tap water and save yourself the money. I did this and was fine. I recieved food poisoning after eating rice not the tap water!
I hated this resort. I felt so disappointed that this was Fiji. The beach was ugly and pebbley.
I am a tolerant and upbeat person who normally seeks the best in things but I am telling you, this resort pushed the buttons in all the wrong ways!
I hope you find this helpful!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Natalya050

Travelers are raving about these Yasawa Islands hotels

florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

We stayed at 4 resorts along the Yasawas and this was our favorite. Beautiful setting and even better people. Fun volleyball, check out the village, dive with the sting rays, if your looking for the ultimate relaxation spot this is your best bet in the Yasawas. BULA!

Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

Spent 2 nights at this resort. The beach was lovely, with palm trees lining the sand and hammocks draped beneath. The vibe was very friendly. By the end of the stay our 4 year old son didn't want to leave as he had been adopted into the fijian family. The 10 min walk over the homeymoon beach is well worth doing, with great snorkelling. Bring your dancing shoes for a night of learning fijian dances.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The rooms were pretty basic, but that was fine for us.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family