All reviews outdoor shower garden villa beachfront bure arts village rugby team dorm room beqa island feejee experience shark dive river rafting viti levu beach bar breakfast was included fijian style ceiling fan our night stay the pearl
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Another marketing piece that doesn't match reality. Uprising resort makes it look as though you'll be able to partake of all sorts of beach related activities, water sports, and that they are all right there to be had. Not even close. They are trying to promote their interior and the two activities they have close by are ziplining and river rafting. Period. If you want to do any other water sports, you will have to first be in a group big enough to motivate them to emerge from their office and accomodate you. If you're in a group of one or two, you're out of luck. They won't take you anywhere, and you can't rent anything. If you want to do anything involving water, forget it. They are on the windward side of the island in the direct path of the trade winds, and they get hammered with wind most of the time. The water has white caps, rip tides, and is far to rough to snorkel, swim, kayak, jetski, or anything they've advertised you can do. Instead if you want to snorkel or kayak, you have to pay a lot of $ to go somewhere else to do it. They don't even have the equipment to kayak, nor the coastline to see anything worth kayaking to. It's just too rough out there. When it comes to the reef, don't let anyone tell you it's gorgeous, it USED to be. I've been in Fiji twice diving and snorkeling in years past, and the cyclone that came through there a few years back killed most of the reef in that area, including around Lalati. Some of it is coming back in small patches. But don't waste your money trying to see pretty fish and reef in that part of Fiji. They have learned how to gouge the tourist, and they do it unabashidly. Other than that, there's nothing to do in that entire area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JBTravelerSanDiego
Reviewed October 30, 2009

after loking online I decided to stay in Pacific harbour "the adventure capital of Fiji" ,after a couple of dissapointing stays at resorts that professed to be in Pacific Harbour on trip advisor but actually arent???? I managed to make it thanks to some very helpfull locals to the Uprising Beach Resort. I've noticed that Fijian ppl are friendly where ever you go and Uprising is no different, but its the setting and the way the resort has been designed, its not your normal concrete jungle its mostly timber which makes you feel like your in the Pacific. timber goes with coconut trees much better than concrete. This place is exceptionally clean and the staff are very well presented.
The accomodation I had a garden bure(house in Fijian), which is a misnoma because it has a fantastic view of the beach 20mts from it. It was stand alone HUGE ( at first I thought I would have to share it with others like a small dorm or something but it was all mine! at this price???) it was spotless and had million dollar views. It also had a hot outside shower. its sooo nice showering beneath the stars.
The food was amazing, plenty of variety, fresh, Tasty!!! and very CHEAP for the quality. I tried the food at the other hotel the Pearl at the other end of the beach, I actually thought the place was closed as I was the only one there, double the price and half as good, later at the bar back at Uprising I met two couples from the Pearl who had dinner at the Uprising 4 out of 5 nights and chose to spend there days and nights at Uprising for the atmosphere, they tried to swap resorts but Uprising was fully booked.
Sublime, the watersports at Uprising has an awsome Grady-white and I chartered a game fishing trip with the money I saved from relocating from Taunovo resort, Eddie the captain knows his fishing and the area like the back of his hand trollong we caught 4 BIG wahoo a small skipjack and two blue fin trevally, a bit of popping and I was smashed by a huge GT shredding my 80lb line, but I did manage to land a big coral trout (which the chef cooked perfectly) we did some jigging and got 7 snapper all in all an unforgetable day, the fish were a bonus the provided lunch, the company and the scenery made it. Sublime also has 8-9 brand new seedoo jetskis, you have the choice of a safari to an island about 15k away or adrenaline track work session I chose the track work jeepers what an adrenaline rush these things rip awesome fun! after breakfast i took one of the horses for a gallop along the beach something that i have wanted to do all my life and in reality it was every bit as good as I had imagined--majical the horse caretaker told me about a signature sport created by the staff at Uprising, horse boarding, the horse towing you along the shallows on a surfboard, no engine just the sound of the horse hoofs and the spray as you carve up genius I had to give it a go, I had done skurfing before but this was amazing no petrol fumes no noisy engine a must try when you stay here.
the big downfall and it is big is you have to leave, but the good side is you can come back which I for one will definatly be doing, after talking to others that did the island trip I have to do it, then there is the white water rafting, zip line, water fall tour, I'm not wasting my time next trip i'll be booking the Uprising airport bus which is also new( rare in Fiji) straight to the fun- Uprising.
they say "its not perfect its paradise" I rekon its perfect paradise

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this resort for one night , part of our tour around the resorts in various parts of Fiji. I had noticed this resort when staying at the nearby Pearl and thought we would try this one out. The bure itself was beachfront, on the end of the row and offered a beautifully decorated room, the bed being raised off the tiles and supported by a wooden floor. I would congratulate the resort on the furnishings and the thoughful placement of the furniture. The outside shower was a real delight, you have to try this to see what I mean. Had a massage done to my legs and feet which was heaven , the bumpy roads in Fiji dont do much for ones aches and pains. So far all good. Then we come to the food - well the lunch arrived promptly, but I was to remember that meal for the rest of the week!! Curries are the norm in Fiji , I have had dozens over the years with no ill effects - cannot say the same for this chicken curry. The evening meal could not be blamed - the so called local steak that arrived on my plate was inedable. The tears came to my eyes, and to be fair we were NOT charged for it. The gripping stomach pain and the rest! was a constant reminder that one cannot take things for granted when away from home. I have travelled for years in the Pacific with no food poisoning, until now. I hope things have changed since my recent stay. Someone in the kitchen has no idea of how food should be stored or presented - we did note there were not too many people eating at the resort. I hope the resort respond to my complaint, this is serious and visitors do not take kindly to having a holiday spoilt with this nonsence.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2009

First thing I noticed in my room was 2 cockroachs on my pillows, then more in the other parts of the room. Next the staff, they are clueless. They didn't know if they could serve us or not at 4:30 or 5pm. We borrowed a pen from the bartender and he made scene about asking for it back after like 10 minutes. Cockroaches on the breakfast food table and they couldn't figure out what I wanted when I asked for a glass of water at breakfast. The other reviews talk about the locals hanging out there. I thought this would be fun to meet the locals, and I enjoyed meeting the locals at other parts of the island. But this is the PARTY BAR for the area. The locals partied from 6pm till 7am right outside our bure. At 7 am I stepped out to find out what the racket was and found two locals throwing up on the beach just steps from my bure. I asked some other guests if this was the first night of the party? No this is a nightly event. If you want a clean, quite place to sleep, pick the Pearl down the road. We were going to stay 4 nights and left immediately after the first night.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank SierraSally
A TripAdvisor Member
adelaide
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I have to admit that we did have considerable trouble in booking to stay at Uprising. Many emails went unanswered and when I rang they did not understand me. Having said that we persevered and spent three days in the big family bure at Uprising this July. We had stayed at Tsulu two years earlier which also has backpacker as well as self-contained accommodation, so our expectations were low (see previous review of Tsulu!) However we were very pleasantly surprised. This place was immaculately maintained and the family bure, with bedding for 7 - one double bed, two bunk beds and a single - was sensational and great value for money. The only downside was the lack of mosquito nets - sleep was broken by the arrival of the mosquito army each night despite the plug in deterrent provided. There were lots of activities on offer, but we had no need of them due to the external activities available at Pacific Harbour. We were picked up for the zip line which was fantastic as well as the Jewel of Fiji tour which was also very worthwhile (choose the rapids rafting option rather than the billi billi - billi billis are just plain boring!) The restaurant menu was varied and whilst not the best food in Fiji, was also not the worst. The free internet in the reception area was also great, although understandably in very high demand. Being a week and a half into a three week trip we took the opportunity to have Uprising send our laundry down to the Arts Centre for washing and drying which was back, brilliantly clean and dry on the same day at a very moderate cost. The actual location of Uprising is incredibly convenient, being walking distance from the arts centre where you can eat lunch for a very reasonable price with exceptional choice, whilst picking up all those touristy knick knacks. The resort looks out on Beqa island so is quite stunning, one of the best outlooks on the Coral Coast and the kids rated the pool a winner. Overall we were very impressed with Uprising and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family