“R&R at its Best with Adventure on Tap”

Uprising Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Pacific Harbour
New South Wales, Australia
“R&R at its Best with Adventure on Tap”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We began our 6 night stay pretty late at night but still received a warm welcome & personal service on arrival. As we wound our way through the softly lit gardens to our amazing Commodore Villa, we couldn't wait to see the rest of the resort in the morning.
Our villa consisted of 2 spacious rooms, a huge bathroom, outdoor shower area and wide verandah. The living area has a sofa that converts to a bed (and enough room for an extra rollaway), a kitchenette with mini-bar (but nothing in the cupboards - water/wine glasses at least would have been useful) we had 1 water glass and 2 coffee cups for the 3 of us........ Our king size bed was very comfortable with good quality linens however let down by the fact of trying to squeeze QS sheets on a KS bed and only 2 pillows. Towels were soft & fluffy but not consistently so throughout our stay. Pool towels are available with a $20 refundable deposit. Wi-fi charges are a little on the expensive side for short term access. Better value to buy a multi day access suited to your stay.
The grounds here are paradise and the gardeners should be commended. The palm dotted beachfront is just picture postcard perfect and the 4km long beach is perfect for walking, running, horse riding and of course swimming. Just beautiful and great for kids to play & explore.
The pool & bar areas are casual and relaxed. Meals in the restaurant were of a consistently high standard. Unfortunately there is little difference between the lunch & dinner menus however the Chefs specials each day were a treat (when the serving staff remembered to give us the menu) but it would be nice to see more variation between lunch & dinner as many of the dinner offerings remained a bit "snacky" so after a few days, guests are tempted out to dine elsewhere.
I can honestly say I had the best sirloin steak I've ever had at Uprising. Not a huge steak eater, I enjoyed it so much I ordered another the next evening which unfortunately was one of the worst I've ever had. The chef recognised the poor quality of the meat and compensated us with one of his most delicious desserts.
During our stay we enjoyed the Rivers Fiji rafting trip and Arts Village Show booked for us by the resort. We also walked down to the village a few times for shopping & meals despite advice from a receptionist that we would need a "guide" - you don't - although at night it is sensible to get a taxi ($3) to return to the resort. The resort massage service was fantastic and reasonably priced and there was a good selection of snorkelling, diving, fishing & other day trips available from the on site Freedive Fiji desk who operate from The Pearl at the other end of the beach. Unfortunately the fleet of catamarans was out of action during our stay due to lack of trained operational staff...... Some kayaks would be a good addition to available activities at the resort.
Overall we very much enjoyed our stay at Uprising and it is one of the few places we would consider returning to in Fiji. The relaxed, casual atmosphere combined with the stunning setting is idyllic. It is just a little let down by the apparent lack of any "hands on" management which results in the "little things" becoming neglected. As is usual in Fiji, housekeeping was pretty haphazard and probably our biggest "issue" during our stay. Having your bure serviced at 4pm is too late in the day and consumables need to be replenished. Service in the restaurant was a little "muddled" sometimes but again - not bad for Fiji. In the big picture, these were minor inconveniences and did not distract too much from our stay. I would give this resort 5*'s if these minor service issues were remedied as the location, ambience and options here are excellent.

Room Tip: Commodore villas are larger & newer with A/C. All are very close to the beach. Garden bures mo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Bula Vinaka Tez823, thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us and thank you for the great points noted in your review. Thank you for the points raised regarding glassware in the villas to compliment the minibar service and I will also be sure to follow up with housing keeping regarding the sheets used in the villas, as these should be king sized bed sheets you are correct. We will be sure to pass on your appreciation to our landscaping team here at Uprising for their hard work and attention to maintaining the resorts unique landscaping. I will be sure to communicate and follow up with the kitchen also, communicating the good points as well as the not so good points raised. Thank you once again. We are also very happy you got to enjoy the many activities onsite and offsite here at Uprising. Being located in Fiji’s Adventure Capital, there is as much or as little activity as one may desire. The catamarans unfortunately are the property of the Fiji Hobie Association, who will be holding a Championship Regatta from Uprising, over Beqa Lagoon in August. We have definitely however taken note of the number of Kayaks available and will be working with our tour provider through this. Working towards ensuring everyone has an enjoyable and memorable experience here at Uprising, is our purpose. We thank you once again and on behalf of everyone at Uprising, best wishes and Vinaka vakalevu.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 days in the garden villa and loved it. The villa was spacious and private, only issue was the lighting was a little dim. The staff were always really friendly and helpful, happy to share a laugh. The grounds were always stunning. The serenading was my favourite thing, beautiful guitars and singing. Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Meals and cocktails were amazing!

• Stayed June 2013
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Bula Vinaka JessyMaca and thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay at Uprising Beach Resort. We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us, and shared many fun moments with the team also. I will be sure to pass on your thanks and appreciation to the serenaders for the sing songs, as well as the team in the bar, restaurant and kitchen. We look forward to having you back with us very soon, and best wishes from everyone at Uprising Beach Resort. Vinaka vakalevu
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Uprising Beach Resort is a beautiful spot to get away and get some Rest & Relaxation. Great Food , Service and good rates. Rooms are clean and the location is ideal as it is close to other amenities in the Arts Village Pacific Harbour. Beautiful Lush Green Surroundings. Highly recommended place for R&R.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Simon V
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Bula Vinaka Simon V, thank you for your review and recommendation of Uprising Beach Resort. We are definitely very lucky to be located on a beautiful stretch of beach here in Pacific Harbour. The town itself does have a range of activities and sites to see and we glad you enjoyed all that we have to offer. Once again thank you from everyone at Uprising, and best wishes.
Littlestone-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We hadn't researched the area particularly well...if we had, we'd have found out that Pacific Harbour is the rainy part of Fiji. We were predominatly here for the shark diving with Beqa Adventure Divers, who we have reviewed separately

We pretty much enjoyed our stay at the Uprising, you can't knock a hotel for the bad weather. Food was pretty reasonable, although the lunchtime & evening menus were very samey, so we found ourselves going out to eat during our week's stay as the menus got a bit repetitive - there are 3 or 4 restaurants, ATMs, supermarket etc about 20 minutes walk from the Uprising

Our room was nice - we opted for the Commodore Beach Villa which was spacious with separate lounge & kitchenette, covered verandah with table & chairs & a good ocean view across the beach

The hotel caters for all types of traveller & includes a dormitory where backpackers stay up to the Commodore beach villas

Overall, we would recommend the hotel but would probably not return if we stayed in Pacific Harbour, as one or two other hotels are better positioned for the diving

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Bula Vinaka Jason_and_Suzanne and thank you for your review and recommendation of Uprising Beach Resort. We are happy you enjoyed overall your stay with us, and we are also happy you enjoyed the dive at Beqa Lagoon, with the team at Beqa Adventure Divers. It was unfortunate that a wet spell had come through during your time, and we hope maybe one day to have you back with us to experience more desirable conditions. On behalf of everyone at Uprising, Vinaka vakalevu once again, and we hope to see you again very soon.
Sydney
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here with my husband in a beachfront bure in June for 7 days. The weather was almost perfect, we had a few rainy & cloudy days but most of the time it was sunny & warm.

We paid around $150 AUD or $255 Fijian a night for the renovated bure no 5. It was furnished with a double bed, a single, there's a sitting area & a small kitchenette (coffee, tea & sugar was provided) and a very small bar fridge & a kettle. The room was clean but the bedding looks old, the curtains are dirty & the fan is filthy. The bed wasn't that comfortable. We loved the outdoor shower though & being able to see the water from the terrace.

We arrived at around 8.30 pm & it was raining, which was not a great start to our holiday. When we got to our room, there was no kettle & there were items left inside the kitchen cupboards that might've belonged to the previous occupant. We thought this was odd, maybe they don't even clean inside the cupboards.

In the morning it was cloudy so we decided to head to Suva which was around 1 hour on a local blue express but which cost around FJ$5 one way. There's a supermarket, restaurants & shops around 10 minute walk from the resort, you can walk along the beach or on the road to get to the shops.

The room was adequate & I guess for the price I paid I can't complain much, but I would recommend getting a villa that has air conditioning & is newer. During the nights it can get quite hot, so we had to use the floor fan to blow on us when we were sleeping. The bures are quite close together, one night we could hear the next door neighbour screaming at each other.

We had to ask for a kettle which was missing from our room & they provided one around 6 hours later & it wasn't working properly. It didn't switch off automatically, which is quite dangerous, we told this to the receptionist but I don't know whether she paid any attention to me. I asked twice to borrow a hair dryer & the same lady said, we don't provide hair dryers for the bures only Villas. She said that maybe I can borrow one but it has to be returned. I never got the hair dryer, so I had camping hair when I was flying back to Sydney. She didn't go out of her way to help us. One one occasion house keeping didn't even give us toilet paper & I had to ask for it from the reception as there's no room phone. She didn't apologise but just gave me a blank stare & said that she'll get me one. 4 days after we were there 2 glasses turned up in our kitchen & also a box of tissues. Previously, we only had two cups & saucers & two teaspoons. I thought that was odd. Maybe the first few days, they ran out of tissue boxes & glasses?

There were lots of pluses:
- The food from the restaurant was good, the cocktails were sublime, try the Mojito.
- The staff other than at the reception were great. Thanks to Weiss, Jane & the guy working on the grounds who put the cushions on our lounge chairs every day.
- The beach was great, the water was clean.

The minuses
- Having to drive around 3 hours to get there.
- The pool was ok, it was shallow, when we were there hardly anyone used it.
- The bed wasn't comfy.
- There wasn't much information on what's happening in the resort, some nights there would be a bonfire but we didn't know unless we asked a staff.

We also went on an excursion to Paradise Island which we loved. I would recommend it, maybe we just had a really great group of people which made it even better. I had so much fun snorkeling & just enjoying the locals.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bula Vinaka InVilia, thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us here at Uprising. We are happy you have enjoyed many aspects of your holiday, and we also do regret the not so favourable notes raised also. We sincerely regret to have fallen short on so many very simple aspects of our service, and we are working to rectify these points raised. Ensuring a quality holiday at Uprising is extremely important to us, as well as ensuring true friendliness and helpfulness by our team members. We thank you once again very much for taking time to review Uprising, and we hope we will be able to redeem our service in the not too distant future. Once again Vinaka vakalevu from the team at Uprising.
Christchurch
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in a Commodore Garden View Villa and loved it. The lighting in the villa was pretty dark at times but I believe this was due to the villas being solar powered. The beach was beautiful and the gardens and pool area well kept. The staff are were very welcoming and friendly. We loved the spin around television/mirror in the villa. Nice to be able to watch some movies either in the lounge area, or in bed after a hard days relaxing. We ate dinner every night at the resort and had very delicious meals that were mostly very reasonably priced. One thing to note: Being that it is a tropical island, there will be little harmless lizards that come to hang out around the villas/bures etc and at night, you will notice frogs jumping around. Expect to see these on a tropical island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bula to you Tahzan, and thank you for taking time to review your stay here with us at Uprising Beach Resort. We have taken note of the in room lighting being a little dime, and thank you for this note. The swivel television in the villas is definitely a unique feature, and something enjoyed by many guests alike. The Uprising Friendliness demonstrated by our team members is something we take pride in and we are happy you enjoyed this also. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Kitchen team, and Head Chef for ensuring your meals were just as you like them. We definitely look forward to having you back with us soon, and once again Vinaka Vakalevu.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

‘My New Trusty’ go to place when I need to get away from Melbourne winters. I was here in January, loved it so much have just returned from a week sunning myself and lazing by the pool. This is my favourite place in Fiji. The staff are friendly (and some even remembered me), the cocktails are some of the best I have tasted (hello my dear friend Pina Colada) and they have a very talented new head chef that had me dreaming about the scrumptious red snapper after I returned to the cold.

I am a massive fan of deluxe villas with great service, exceptional food, cocktails that rock your world all sitting in front of beach!

If you want to REALLY relax and chill out, Uprising has got you covered.

Love this place and can’t talk highly enough about it. I am heading back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PatriciaHigginbottom
Bula Vinaka Patricia, it was a pleasure having you back with us and great to see you again. We are very happy that you enjoyed your second stay with us, and most definitely look forward to having you back at Uprising again very soon. We will be sure to pass on your appreciation and thanks to the Bartenders for mixing up your local favourite cocktails, and to Rajesh, our Head Chef for the delicious red snapper meals. From everyone at Uprising, we hope to see you again very soon, and best wishes from all at Uprising, to you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Harbour
#4 of 9 in Sigatoka
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka

Been to Uprising Beach Resort? Share your experiences!