“Great beach location”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Pacific Harbour
Sydney
“Great beach location”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here with my husband in a beachfront bure in June for 7 days. The weather was almost perfect, we had a few rainy & cloudy days but most of the time it was sunny & warm.

We paid around $150 AUD or $255 Fijian a night for the renovated bure no 5. It was furnished with a double bed, a single, there's a sitting area & a small kitchenette (coffee, tea & sugar was provided) and a very small bar fridge & a kettle. The room was clean but the bedding looks old, the curtains are dirty & the fan is filthy. The bed wasn't that comfortable. We loved the outdoor shower though & being able to see the water from the terrace.

We arrived at around 8.30 pm & it was raining, which was not a great start to our holiday. When we got to our room, there was no kettle & there were items left inside the kitchen cupboards that might've belonged to the previous occupant. We thought this was odd, maybe they don't even clean inside the cupboards.

In the morning it was cloudy so we decided to head to Suva which was around 1 hour on a local blue express but which cost around FJ$5 one way. There's a supermarket, restaurants & shops around 10 minute walk from the resort, you can walk along the beach or on the road to get to the shops.

The room was adequate & I guess for the price I paid I can't complain much, but I would recommend getting a villa that has air conditioning & is newer. During the nights it can get quite hot, so we had to use the floor fan to blow on us when we were sleeping. The bures are quite close together, one night we could hear the next door neighbour screaming at each other.

We had to ask for a kettle which was missing from our room & they provided one around 6 hours later & it wasn't working properly. It didn't switch off automatically, which is quite dangerous, we told this to the receptionist but I don't know whether she paid any attention to me. I asked twice to borrow a hair dryer & the same lady said, we don't provide hair dryers for the bures only Villas. She said that maybe I can borrow one but it has to be returned. I never got the hair dryer, so I had camping hair when I was flying back to Sydney. She didn't go out of her way to help us. One one occasion house keeping didn't even give us toilet paper & I had to ask for it from the reception as there's no room phone. She didn't apologise but just gave me a blank stare & said that she'll get me one. 4 days after we were there 2 glasses turned up in our kitchen & also a box of tissues. Previously, we only had two cups & saucers & two teaspoons. I thought that was odd. Maybe the first few days, they ran out of tissue boxes & glasses?

There were lots of pluses:
- The food from the restaurant was good, the cocktails were sublime, try the Mojito.
- The staff other than at the reception were great. Thanks to Weiss, Jane & the guy working on the grounds who put the cushions on our lounge chairs every day.
- The beach was great, the water was clean.

The minuses
- Having to drive around 3 hours to get there.
- The pool was ok, it was shallow, when we were there hardly anyone used it.
- The bed wasn't comfy.
- There wasn't much information on what's happening in the resort, some nights there would be a bonfire but we didn't know unless we asked a staff.

We also went on an excursion to Paradise Island which we loved. I would recommend it, maybe we just had a really great group of people which made it even better. I had so much fun snorkeling & just enjoying the locals.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Bula Vinaka InVilia, thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us here at Uprising. We are happy you have enjoyed many aspects of your holiday, and we also do regret the not so favourable notes raised also. We sincerely regret to have fallen short on so many very simple aspects of our service, and we are working to rectify these points raised. Ensuring a quality holiday at Uprising is extremely important to us, as well as ensuring true friendliness and helpfulness by our team members. We thank you once again very much for taking time to review Uprising, and we hope we will be able to redeem our service in the not too distant future. Once again Vinaka vakalevu from the team at Uprising.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Christchurch
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in a Commodore Garden View Villa and loved it. The lighting in the villa was pretty dark at times but I believe this was due to the villas being solar powered. The beach was beautiful and the gardens and pool area well kept. The staff are were very welcoming and friendly. We loved the spin around television/mirror in the villa. Nice to be able to watch some movies either in the lounge area, or in bed after a hard days relaxing. We ate dinner every night at the resort and had very delicious meals that were mostly very reasonably priced. One thing to note: Being that it is a tropical island, there will be little harmless lizards that come to hang out around the villas/bures etc and at night, you will notice frogs jumping around. Expect to see these on a tropical island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bula to you Tahzan, and thank you for taking time to review your stay here with us at Uprising Beach Resort. We have taken note of the in room lighting being a little dime, and thank you for this note. The swivel television in the villas is definitely a unique feature, and something enjoyed by many guests alike. The Uprising Friendliness demonstrated by our team members is something we take pride in and we are happy you enjoyed this also. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Kitchen team, and Head Chef for ensuring your meals were just as you like them. We definitely look forward to having you back with us soon, and once again Vinaka Vakalevu.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

‘My New Trusty’ go to place when I need to get away from Melbourne winters. I was here in January, loved it so much have just returned from a week sunning myself and lazing by the pool. This is my favourite place in Fiji. The staff are friendly (and some even remembered me), the cocktails are some of the best I have tasted (hello my dear friend Pina Colada) and they have a very talented new head chef that had me dreaming about the scrumptious red snapper after I returned to the cold.

I am a massive fan of deluxe villas with great service, exceptional food, cocktails that rock your world all sitting in front of beach!

If you want to REALLY relax and chill out, Uprising has got you covered.

Love this place and can’t talk highly enough about it. I am heading back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PatriciaHigginbottom
Bula Vinaka Patricia, it was a pleasure having you back with us and great to see you again. We are very happy that you enjoyed your second stay with us, and most definitely look forward to having you back at Uprising again very soon. We will be sure to pass on your appreciation and thanks to the Bartenders for mixing up your local favourite cocktails, and to Rajesh, our Head Chef for the delicious red snapper meals. From everyone at Uprising, we hope to see you again very soon, and best wishes from all at Uprising, to you.
Fallbrook
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I recently had an opportunity to stay at Uprising with a group of 10 travel agents. We where doing site inspections at various resorts in Fiji. This was my 5th time visiting fiji and most of the other agents also had previous experience with Fiji.

We arrived about 7 PM from a long day of traveling and where shown to our villa, first impression just OK. Nice large room in newer section of the resort with air condition. Definite change from old section to new section, not overly impressed. New section has not established a personality yet. Area too new looking and vegetation looks planted.

The next morning we woke up refreshed from a good nights sleep and went to breakfast, what a change day light can bring. New section still needs some maturity and more Fijian personality but the rest of the resort was fantastic. Nice walk ways mature landscape and well maintained Bures.

At breakfast we discovered the true beauty of Uprising, the people. Smiling fun enjoyable and very helpful. The general manager Alfred Christofferson welcomed every guest personally. Every encounter with the staff was pleasant. We felt more like family than guests.

The meals where really good and with the low cost that made them fantastic.Good variety to choose from well prepared, served. The prices where the most reasonable I have seen in the islands. Beer was COLD.

Had a tour of all the room categories and really liked the beach front Bure no A/C but has a good ocean breeze blowing through. For a couple these Bures will equal your dreams of what a beach Bure should look and feel like.

I could go on and on about Uprising But I will finish with the consensus of 10 experienced travel agents.

Not fancy but very fun with a great feeling. Not only would we be happy to recommend to our clients but we personally would like to return for our own vacations. The best VALUE we have found so far.

Room Tip: Beach front (no A/C but great breeze) great view. New section for A/C.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank PTDIVER
Bula Vinaka PTDiver, and thank you taking time to review your recent stay with us here at Uprising. We definitely try our best to ensure an affordable quality for money holiday, and it is our staff that most definitely make everyone’s stay with us a truly Fijian experience. We will be sure to pass on your thank you’s and appreciation to the team here at Uprising. We look forward to seeing you again very soon, and once again Vinaka Vakalevu to you and your team.
Geelong - Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Uprising Beach Resort in Late May. We had a fantastic stay and participated in several activities offered by Freedive Fiji, which operates a tour desk at the resort. We went on a fishing charter, an island day cruise and also a snorkelling trip out of Beqa Island,which was amazing!! The snorkelling there is second to none, and I even got to snorkel above a 2 mtr white tip shark ~ it was incredible. We got to know the Freedive Fiji staff at both the Uprising and The Pearl South Pacific Resort which is another resort down the beach from Uprising. All of the water based activities we went on were based at The Pearl, but all activity costs include pick up and return to the Uprising.

Our accommodation was beautiful, we stayed in a beachfront villa, which is reasonably new and we were very impressed with both the villa and the outlook/position. The beach is beautiful and directly in front of the villa is a beautiful swimming beach that is the pick of the beaches along the Coral Coast area, it has sandy beach and beautiful clear waters with a sand bottom, ideal for swimming, unlike most beaches that are crushed coral on the "Coral Coast".

There is alot more on offer at Pacific Harbour than other destinations on the Coral Coast further north towards Nadi. It may take longer to drive there, but once there, you won't mind.

The feel of Uprising is true Fijiian, unlike other resorts that are more westernised, you get to experience the real Fiji here, and we honesltly loved everything about the resort. We even had the Fiji Uprising Under 20's rugby team staying the week we were there, who were very entertaining on their last night, and put on a performance for the guests which was fantastic.

To everyone who whinges about the speed of service etc in Fiji, "take a chill pill!!!" It's Fiji Time ~ just go with the flow and enjoy, look around you at the local smiling faces, do you think they get this relaxed from living our lifestyle? ~ I don't think so ~ and it's not just Kava either, they are happy and we pay good money to be a part of their lives for just a little while so kick back and enjoy!!!

We are returning to Uprising this October and can't wait to go back, see you soon everyone.

Vinaka vakalevu to Alfie and staff,

Wendy & Gavin

Room Tip: Go for a Beachfront Villa, they are new and the location/view is awesome. The outdoor showers are a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aussie-wendy-67
Bula Vinaka Wendy & Gavin, thank you both very much for taking time to review your stay here with us at Uprising Beach Resort. We are very pleased you enjoyed Uprising Beach Resort, and also all the activities available within the resort, and around Pacific Harbour also. I will be sure to pass on your thank s and appreciation to the team for making your Fijian holiday a memorable one. We look forward to having you back with us someday soon, and once again, on behalf of everyone at Uprising Beach Resort, Vinaka vakalevu.
Palo Alto CA
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Uprising has beautiful grounds. If we would have not stayed at 5 star Coconut Grove in Taveuni, and the Blue Lagoon in the Yasawas we would have possibly better ratings. Their restaurant cooks were the most friendly in all of the resort, a special thanks to Sunny who was very sensitive and accommodating to my food allergy. It took a long time to check-in and much longer to check-out. They didn't really seem like we mattered as much. From our experience in Fiji thus far it seems incredibly rare. We don't need to be pampered but they didn't seem very attentive. We had a few issues which were more contributed to the weather than anything, but overall the value for what you get here vs in other resorts are incredibly not comparable.

Room Tip: We splurged on the ocean view villa and it was beautiful. Only problem is that our shower broke and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Myrella
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Bula Vinaka Myrella. Thank you taking time to review Uprising Beach Resort and thank you for your kind words and appreciation. All review points are valued equally and we sincerely appreciate the good points raised, and we value your feedback on the areas we have fallen short. I will be sure to pass on your appreciation and thanks to Sunny, from the Restaurant. Thank you. I could only wish, during your stay that this same hospitality and warmth, could have been experienced equally throughout the resort. This is something we value each day. We sincerely appreciate your time and review, and from everyone at Uprising, Vinaka vakalevu.
Campbell, California, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Came here last summer with a group of 10 friends and had a great time! My fiance and I stayed in a Burre which seemed like a dream come true at first..until our outdoor shower did not have hot water for 2 days, we found geckos crawling around the walls, and you have to go outside to get to the bathroom which is not fun in the middle of the night. It is a really fun experience being in the Burre for a night or two, but after that I was ready for a clean real hotel room.

The beach here is incredible and the grounds of the hotel are dreamy. There is a cute bar and pool table area where the breakfast buffet is served. ONE MAJOR HINT!!!! The hotel staff is not transparent when it comes to drink prices. They would take my friends order at breakfast for coffee and suggest we make it an irish coffee and not tell us that each shot of alcohol is $12 Fijian dollars, when it was all said-and-done a normal sized Irish Coffee was $38 USD!!!!! Even at the swankiest bar in the US that is a very overpriced drink...so be very careful when it comes to asking the bartenders to make you a drink..just stick to a bounty rum and coke which is what we drank our whole time in Fiji. Bula!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Bula Reena_A, thank you for taking time for review Uprising Beach Resort, and we hope you have arrived home safely. We are fortunate to be located on a very nice stretch of the Fijian coast, and we are glad you enjoyed this. We have also taken note of the points raised regarding the Irish coffee, and would like to assure you once again we have taken strong note of this. I thank you once again, and from everyone at Uprising, vinaka vakalevu.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Harbour
#4 of 9 in Sigatoka
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka

Been to Uprising Beach Resort? Share your experiences!