“EXCELLENT spot.”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Pacific Harbour
San Diego, California
“EXCELLENT spot.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Uprising Beach Resort is an amazing resort for all types of parties - singles, couples, families. If you're planning to stay here and are accustomed to weather similar to Fiji's, you don't need to invest in the villas. Dorms are also available, where a lot of backpackers stay for a much cheaper price. My boyfriend and I stayed in the beach and garden villas (5 nights in the beach villa, 2 nights in the garden villa), which are newly renovated homes located either in the garden or on the beach. The other houses are not air-conditioned and are not renovated, but you can still choose either a beach or garden house. The villas have one master bed, a living room area with a couch and tv, large bathroom, outdoor shower, and a small kitchen area that consists of a counter, sink, small fridge, drawers, and electric kettle. The villas are air-conditioned for the hot, humid days or you can open both sliding doors from the living room and bedroom to let the outdoor breeze in. These also have a nice-sized porch with chairs and a small table.
If you're wondering whether the beach and garden villas are due to their locations, the differences are minor. Beach villas have a view of the beach, and you can access the water within 15 seconds of walking. The garden villas are located behind the beach villas, but you can access the water within 1-2 minutes of walking. The beach is still in view of some garden villas but if not, you have a nice view of the garden in the center. Picture the letter "D"; the straight line of the letter are the beach villas, and the curved portion of the letter are the garden villas.
The restaurant and pool are nearby, and each morning you can enjoy continental breakfast to start your day. The staff is very friendly and often ask about yourself or the excursions you've been on during your trip. The front desk is extremely helpful, and if you didn't pre-scheduled any of your excursions (like us), they can call the companies for you and inquire about prices and reservations. I suggest planning beforehand for guaranteed reservations and because the staff earns commission on what they assist you with, so you end up paying about 10% more for certain excursions as opposed to the prices listed online. Regardless, they helped us plan and luckily for us, we were able to book everything we desired. We followed tripadvisor's suggestions for the scuba and shark dives and the jetski tours. These were about a five minute drive away. What's even more convenient is that these companies provide transportation to and from the resort.
If you don't want to spend too much on food, you can go to the Arts Village (10-15 min walk or a short cab ride) and go to the grocery store. Otherwise, you can eat at the resort or at the restaurants nearby. The bank is also located in the Arts Village if you need to pull additional funds or to exchange currencies. Any other place you wish to visit can be arranged via the resort cab, or you can walk to the front of the resort near the road for the next bus to take you there (aim for the large tour buses, they are air-conditioned if you don't like to ride in vans!)
I love Uprising Beach Resort, but to be extremely picky, I wish it was located closer to the airport. It takes about 2 hours to get there from the airport :( If you can, to make the driving arrangements easier, ask if the resort cab can pick you up from the airport. Our cab driver told us that they make trips to and from the airport a couple times during the day to pick up/drop off guests, so hopefully that can work out for you. But once you're at Uprising, almost everything is nearby and is easy to get to.
Like I stated previously, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The guests, whether they be backpackers, families, honeymooners, or divers, were very friendly and were never shy to share their stories with us and also join us on our excursions. The water was very comfortable to wade or swim in, no shivering here! I would definitely return the next time I come to Fiji :)

Room Tip: Beach and garden villas are air-conditioned, you can keep your windows and doors shut to prevent ins...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LeighNikole
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Bula Vinaka LeighNikol, and thank you for your informative review of Uprising Beach Resort, as well as Pacific Harbour, Fiji’s Adventure Capital. You are correct in saying we are very lucky to be located in very nice little beachside town, with access to a range of resort facilities, and tours, as well as extras such as banks, supermarkets, restaurants, post office, handicraft market and more, for everyone’s convenience. We like to say we showcase a truer side of Fiji, allowing our guests to enjoy Fiji on a different level. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and most definitely look forward to seeing you all again very soon. From everyone at Uprising, moce mada for now.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were a little more adventurous than usual on our latest trip to Fiji. We tried quite a few different types of specialty and back packer accommodations.
We stayed in a Beach View Bure (without air conditioning) it was wonderful. The breeze blew straight through the room from front to back, side to side. No need to waste money on an AC.
I was amazed by the beautiful location and the rooms were very spacious. The outdoor shower was much more pleasing than I had imagined.
The pool, restaurant and bar areas were great. Food was well priced and good.
The only let down was the linen. Most of what were supposed to be white sheets and towels, were old and mostly stained with rust color.

Room Tip: Take your bug spray with you. The mosquitos are savage.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Bula TheGatesClan, thank you for reviewing the Uprising Beach Resort. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Uprising, in the Adventure Capital of Fiji, Pacific Harbour. We have taken note of your recommendations regarding Linen renewals, and can confirm that the resort has just recently purchased linen in replacement. We are happy also that you enjoyed the resort facilities and thank you once again. On behalf of everyone at Uprising, safe travels and vinaka vakalevu!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I visited the Uprising Resort with my family and we had a fantastic experience. We stayed in a beachfront bure, which had stunning views of the beach, and a lovely rustic feel. It housed the 4 of us very comfortably, and the room was serviced each day. Both the pool and the beach were wonderful and kept the kids (and adults) happy for hours. The food and drinks were great, although the service time is a little slow during the dinner peak time. The whole resort was atmospheric, and I found it hard to believe the experience was so idyllic when it had been very affordable (I booked through expedia). There were some stains on the curtains, and the fan was broken, but these were only little matters, and I would be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: In the height of Summer I would recommend the air-conditioned rooms. However, for mid-March we found...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank heidilynelle
Bula Vinaka Heidilynelle, vinaka vakalevu for taking the time to review Uprising, and thank you for your kind words. We have taken note also, of the not so favourable points raised . We are glad you enjoyed your time here at Uprising and we definitely look forward to having you back when you are next ready for a holiday in Fiji! Vinaka vakalevu once again, from everyone at Uprising.
T.O.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at Uprising for 3 days/2 nights as a stop over from Australia to Toronto.

Let me get this out of the way….. THIS REOSRT IS A 3 HOUR DRIVE FROM NADI. That is, if the highway isn’t busy and if, it is not washed out. If you are staying for just a day or 2 you might want to consider flying into Suva then driving to Pacific Harbour. Or pontoon plane or Helicopter right into Pacific Harbour if you can afford to .Dont get me wrong our driver from TTF was amazing, Pawan put up with my endless questions about Fiji with a smile and an answer, but after a 5 hour flight from Sydney who wants to sit in a car for 3 hours.

Now that I have that out of my system, lol The Uprising Resort is everything it is advertised to be. A relaxing getaway, with friendly staff, and a casual atmosphere. Great for diving the near by Bequa Lagoon Shark Dive or the famous soft coral dives.

We arrived late and were greeted by a few of the staff who checked us in and helped us with our luggage. Unfortunately, the kitchen was closed so we were glad we had stopped at a supermarket in Nadi to grab some supplies on the way.

We stayed in Commodore Beachfront Villa 4. It is the furthest away from the man building and Restaurant and for our purpose was perfect. It has no neighbour on 1 side and is very quiet and peaceful. Thankfully the aircon was working great and it was pumping out polar goodness to fight off the thick humidity in no time. After a long adventurous day of flight delays and long drives we were finally here.

The villa is spacious and has a large sitting area complete with couch and desk with a flatscreen TV that swivels between the living room and the bedroom. Very cool indeed! There is small fridge and wet bar area. A large bedroom with a soft comfortable bed and plenty of different lighting options. Im not sure there would be all that much room for storage for family of 4 travelling with a week or ten days worth of clothes but for us it was sufficient. There is a modern safe in the closet very handy for valuables. Also they offer storage in the hotel safe upon request. The bathroom is spacious and has a large tub with shower and a nice large vanity with extra storage. There is a sliding door that leads to a vey cool private outdoor shower. There is also a very handy laundry line to dry your wet gear. Sliding doors lead from both the living room and bedroom onto the patio, where you will find some chairs and a small table.

We woke early and looked out the window to find the view was exactly as expected. Palm trees leading to a sandy beach less than 50 steps to the water with a view of Beqa island in the distance. PERFECT!! We geared up and headed off to the restaurant in search of breakfast. There was a continental breakfast buffet set up and after not having had a real meal since Lunch the day before you would think we would have been willing to eat anything. but eggs with a side of flies is not my idea of a good breakfast. Now I cant fault the resort for this but it can sometimes be a full time job keeping the bugs from eating more of your meal than you. LOL All in all it was just good enough to give us the fuel we needed to head out for the Shark Dive.

Side note: Beqa Adveture divers is Awesome!! I highly recommend them!! I am an OWSI and my wife is AOW. These guys were all about the conservation and they knew exactly what they were doing. Safety is their #1 concern and they don’t mess around. Papa is the man and has trained these sharks over the yeas to act almost like pets. This is by far the best Shark dive experience in the world. We have done shark dives before and this one blew the others away. So many Bull sharks I lost count!

Returning to the hotel around noon, we headed into the restaurant and ordered our traditional after dive meal of burgers and beers. Sitting there in the open air patio with a large Corona in my hand, the breeze blowing through and the palm trees swaying in front of the water it suddenly hit me….. This is why we came here! Paradise! We have been all over the world. Stayed at 5 sand 6 star resorts all way down to back packer hostels in Tahrir Square in Cairo. Been to dozens of Caribbean and south Pacific islands. This is what we have been looking for. Totally relaxed, laidback vibe, in one of the most beautiful mostly natural settings imaginable.

We spent the remainder of the next 2 days lounging in the pool or hanging out on our porch staring out over the water. We went to the arts village for a few hours and enjoyed lunch and shopping. 10 minute walk or $3 dollar cab ride. There were often times when we would have the beach and the Ocean all to ourselves even though the resort was full. I guess most people preferred to hang out by the pool and the bar. At one point some locals grabbed our beach chairs and set up camp on the beach right in front of our villa with a couple of cases of beer. With no prompting or request from us resort security asked them to move down the beach which they did. I only point this out to show that this is a safe resort to those who would be concerned. This is usually not an issue but it kind of took away from the little piece of private paradise vibe I had going at that moment. Lol Otherwise I would have invited them up to the patio for a drink.

Bottom line if you are looking to unplug (there are no phones in the rooms but wifi packages are available for those of you who cannot break free of your leash) and relax this is definitely a good place to do it. Don’t expect 5 star service but the food is good, the drinks are strong, and the people are friendly.

Vinaka vakalevu to all the staff at Uprising. We hope to see you again one day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hoopefloop
Bula Vinaka Hoopefloop, and thank you for taking time out, to review Uprising Beach Resort, and your experience while staying with us. We have passed on your thanks and appreciation to Beqa Adventure Divers, as well as the team at Uprising. We have taken note of the not so favourable points of your vacation with us, and can assure you these have been taken very seriously. We now have, after many months in absence and due to a restructure, found a head chef who takes these matters very seriously and I can assure you is doing his best to maintain and improve the continental buffet breakfast spread, as well as the cooked breakfast options. We hope one day soon, you will be able experience his service. On behalf of everyone at Uprising, vinaka vakelvu, and safe travels on your journey to Toronoto! Vinaka vakalevu.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our family enjoyed our stay at the Uprising Resort, we found the whole experience wonderful!
We stayed in a beach front villa which was excellent, quite spacious for the 4 of us.
The food was good and we received great service during our stay, we found it relaxing to have only 1 restaurant and 1 bar to spend our time and found that all the staff were lovely.
The beach does not have coral etc but just a short boat trip is Beqa lagoon which is a awesome dive or snorkeling area.
I completed the local shark feeding dive with Aqua Trek and can express how awesome the dive was, plenty of tawny nurse sharks, large lemon sharks and of course the ever present bull sharks, a little disappointed that no tiger sharks made an appearance but still a great dive . Aqua Trek are a great dive company and believe in the protection of sharks which is why I will be heading back to to complete the dive again.
And of course again staying at the Uprising, it might not be for everyone but we found it wonderful and a great get away from the normal working life.
P.S. The 1 hour long full body massages are great, I had 2 and fell asleep both times.

Room Tip: I suggest one of the villas, either beachfront or garden as they are spacious and have air condition...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Suma11611
Bula Vinaka Summa11611, thank you for reviewing Uprising Beach Resort, and we are happy you enjoyed the adventure activities, and shark dive you experienced. The Shark Dive is a must do for those scuba diving while in Fiji, and is definitely something to be remembered. We will be sure to pass on your thanks to the dive operator also, as well the massage team here at Uprising. We look forward to seeing you all again soon, and from everyone at Uprising, Vinaka vakalevu!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

We were in Fiji as part of a research trip. My friend and I decided to stay at the Uprising since it was cheaper than the Pearl. We stayed in the dorm for two nights and then upgraded to a villa. The villa was huge and comfortable and there was a wonderful, private outdoor shower. The villa had a mini fridge so that was nice too. The only complaint I have is when we upgraded the hotel wouldn't honor the price we paid online which would have saved us quite a bit of money.

The service is great, especially the afternoon crew. The food and drinks are awesome except the breakfast buffet is meh. We ordered breakfast once, an omelet and banana pancakes, and they were both delicious. If you stay here toy have to Terry to Uprising Snorkel. Never seen anything like it. Plus they're happy hour is longer.

My friend and I also stayed at the Pearl while here. It is also nice but the Uprising wad the one we liked better.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank gomerk
Bula GoMerk, thank you for taking the time review Uprising Beach Resort, and we are happy you enjoyed your holiday with us. We are glad you enjoyed the resort facilities, and also enjoyed the afternoon happy hour’s’, cocktails, as well as your villa, during your stay with us. The villas are our deluxe range accommodation options and we are happy that this style of accommodation was also enjoyed. We will be sure to pass on your kinds words to the team, and we thank you sincerely once again. From Everyone at Uprising, Vinaka vakalevu, and warm regards.
DC
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed five nights in the dorm. Students came and left. Overall, they were very loud and brought alcohol back with them even though not allowed. Staff very friendly and helpful. Dorm cleaned thoroughly everyday. Prices a little high at bar and restaurant. Cheaper to walk the half mile to town. Right on beach but water not very clear. Internet no longer free (Global Gossip) but available throughout the resort.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Bula Vinaka Valipps, and thank you very much for taking time out to review Uprising Beach Resort. We regret this incident with regards to the consuming of alcohol in the dormitory and this is something we do not condone. We are however happy that this facility was suitable for your stay. You are right, that in Pacific Harbour, we are very fortunate to have a range of restaurants that can be accessed, and we hope you enjoyed the great meals and price ranges available from these restaurants also. There is most definitely a restaurant to suit all budgets available in Pacific Harbour available every day of the week. Once again Valipps, thank you from everyone at Uprising Beach Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Harbour
#3 of 9 in Sigatoka
Nanuku Auberge Resort
Nanuku Auberge Resort
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour

Been to Uprising Beach Resort? Share your experiences!