“Great All round resort”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Pacific Harbour
Melbourne, Australia
“Great All round resort”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Uprising is a true Fijian experience. If you want your standard western resort then go to the Pearl up the road. The Uprising is basic but basically wonderful. The food is good. The Alcohol is good (cocktails are very strong), the prices are good, the staff are lovely and the beach is beautiful. My two sons and I stayed in a Villa and thank god we did. It was so hot and humid. We arrived boxing day. I was impressed that someone came in and cleaned our room and made our beds every day. Nothing was a problem here for the staff. Service for dinner, lunch or breakfast was a little slow at times but its Fiji and the pace is much slower. Pacific Harbour has lots of things to do. I wouldn't rely on the resort to provide much entertainment. There is a pool and that is about it. The jet ski's were not working and the boat that takes you out to the reef to go fishing or scuba diving ended up being out of commission by the end of our trip. But on saying that there is plenty of local things that you can go and do and lots of other jet ski and fishing companies to take you out. There is a lovely man who has a little horse who is happy to walk you or you child up and down the beach for 40 minutes or so for $40 FJD. My son loved it. We spend NYE there and the party was wild. All the locals seem to love the Uprising. Which is a good thing. The staff are lovely. Especially Jane. Bula Jane. Hope you are well. Kelera the reservations manager is also so lovely and helpful. My only criticism of this resort is that they should have a few more daytime activities going on. I noticed some of the other resorts had jewellery making and canoeing trips during the day. Just something else to do to give you more options. They also need a couple of hammocks around the place for that true island feeling. I would recommend the Uprising to anyone. It is no frills but absolutely clean and beautiful. Pacific Harbour village is two minutes up the road with restaurants, bank, shops and the best massage place i have ever been to. I would also highly recommend doing a day tour to Namumua Village. Going up the river and having a swim at the waterfall along the way was incredible. An absolute must do. The drive from Nadi airport is about 1.5 hours but you can easily jump on the air-conditioned coach or grab a taxi. It is worth coming out that far. Pacific Harbour has so much to do. I would put a stop in at Port Denaru on the way there or back just for some lunch or dinner. It is lovely. (10 min from Nadi). Anyhow i hope that you find this review helpful. If i ever go back to Fiji i would definitely stay at the Uprising Resort again.

Room Tip: Choose a Villa. Go for Villa 1. It is the first Villa on the beach and closest to the main resort. T...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Bronskiibeat
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Bula Vinaka Bronskiibeat, from everyone at Uprising Beach Resort. We sincerely appreciate you taking time to review Uprising, and we are very happy you enjoyed yourself overall, and we also have taken note of the areas you have pointed out that we did not do so well on. Over the next few months, we are moving towards establishing a new onsite activities, and water sports operation that will see a much more functional water sports department, as well as a more practical option for our guests. We definitely will also be focusing on a few more activities to keep the days filled with options for those seeking a little more than relaxation. We have also noted and passed on your Bula’s and thank you’s to our members that you have mentioned also. Thank you for remembering us! We are also very happy that you enjoyed Pacific Harbour overall, from the Arts Village complex, our town centre, to the Namumua Inland Waterfall and Village, and the activities you took time out to enjoy while on your holiday. We thank you once again for taking time out to review Uprising, and we most definitely look forward to seeing you again soon! From Everyone at Uprising Beach Resort, Vinaka vakalevu.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Gold Coast
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I had an awesome time at the Uprising Resort, 7 days of rest and recreation, I over indulged in the restaurant and Im paying for it now (grrrr) the staff were absolutely awesome and one waitress in particular (Jane) she was so cool and always made us feel like family. You would be hard pushed to find a resort where you are greeted with the most sincere smiles and "Bula" from all the staff each day,(the barman makes a mean marguerita too) Our beachside villa was beautiful with the most amazing view, the outdoor shower was a stroke of genius, It didnt take much to see that the locals in the area were quite poor so it was nice to see that the Uprising management were very involved in the community, particularly the Rugby arena (and for the girls it wasnt so hard on the eye to observe those training sessions on the beach discreetly from my balcony) We had an awesome time in Fiji and are so happy our travel agent recommended the Uprising Resort so if its relaxation peace and tranquility you are looking for then I would without a doubt recommend the UPRISING...

Room Tip: The entire complex was beautiful but the beachfront Villa's were heaven.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarolynnTipene
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Bula Vinaka Carolynn & Vinaka Vakalevu for taking time out to review Uprising Beach Resort. We hope you are feeling a little better now from the holiday indulging in the restaurant! It was our pleasure having you with us. We will be sure to pass on your sincere thank you’s to Jane in the restaurant, as well as all other members of the team. Uprising’s commitment to youth development and sport within our region of the island is something of a passion here at Uprising, and we are happy you enjoyed this. We definitely appreciate your feedback, and we also look forward to maybe one day seeing you once again. Best wishes and safe travels from everyone at Uprising Beach Resort.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the most important thing you need to know if you are heading to Fiji – Pacific harbour. Run, don’t walk to the Uprising Resort, proceed straight the bar / restaurant ask the amazingly friendly staff to make you a Pina Colada. Walk across the lawn to the bar that is located on the waters edge, watch the world go by and shortly you will be tasting a pure slice of heaven!

I am an experienced Pina Colada drinker and I have never tasted one this great. I can honestly proclaim the best, and I mean best Pina Colada I have ever had.

Thanks Uprising Resort - I will be back for many more Pina good times..

Patricia Higginbottom

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the villa's which was amazing. Waking up and looking out the window to the v...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Bula Vinaka Patricia,
Thank you for taking time to review Uprising Beach Resort, and for taking time to sip a Pina Colada, and enjoy Fiji time. Your compliments and appreciation have been passed onto our Bartenders, for mixing up a good tasty Fiji Rum cocktail that we hope you will remember for a long time to come. We are also happy that you enjoyed your villa accommodation, home away from home, during your stay. On behalf of everyone at Uprising, we thank you once again for taking time to review Uprising, and wishing you all the best for coming year 2013. Vinaka vakalevu.
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We visited at the end of June 2012. We stayed in one of the oceanview bures and our 2 small kids enjoyed running out and climbing the mangrove trees just outside our front porch. They also loved playing on the sandy beach and one of the things i loved about this place was that I can walk out the door with my coffee onto the sand and watch my kids. They couldn't swim though as during our 3 night stay, the weather was cold and stormy.
During our stay, although we had packed our rain gear, there was no way to stay dry. As a result, we went through all our clothes and had to use the laundry service which is the only way to do laundry and it was not cheap, even compared to U.S. rate.
We packed in our luggage some crackers and nuts as snack for the kids and some little creature was eating it and we had to discard all of them for safety.
The food was ok but couldn't stand the smokers in the restaurant! Our bure was clean inside. we were cold at night though. We used all our jackets and towels as the blankets were quite thin. Love the outdoor open air shower but because of the rain it wasn't practical as your towel gets wet. Make sure you wear your flipflop in. Overall the place is really run down. Most of the bures have their roof thatch material fallen off or are lopsided but luckily the tin roofing underneath stays intact. I guess the place is ok if you are not traveling with little ones.

Room Tip: No fitness center. No activities for kids on site but the mangroves are great for climbing and just...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Bula Sandy and Vinaka vakalevu for reviewing Uprising Beach Resort. We are certainly happy that we enjoyed the open air landscaped showers in the Classic Bures, the beach, and the children enjoyed playing directly outside of the Bure that was home for the holidays. We have taken note of the review points regarding the laundry, smokers in the restaurant, and warmer sheets in our bures. In mid November, we began rethatching the Bures, with 5 currently complete and 7 more to be completed by mid January 2013. We are also refurbishing all 12 Classic Bures, with plans to have this complete by April 2013. The refurbishment does include such items as new lounge sets, & new beds and linen for the Classic Bures. The restaurant has been also received new furnishings. We will be taking once again strong note of the lesser appealing aspects and thank you once again. We wish you a happy new year, from Everyone at Uprising Beach Resort.
Parkdale, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We had booked in for 3 nights prior to the onset of cyclone Evan. We had paid a 3 night deposit of 50%. We inspected the resort and felt that they were totally disorganised and unprepared for the cyclone. We asked if we could stay only one night and we were prepeared to forfeit the deposit for the remaining 2 nights. However, the very unfriendly desk manager said that we would have to pay for all 3 nights even if we only wanted to stay for 1. This was very unfair as we were prepared to lose the other 2 nights. We considered her ultimatum but the resort looked terribly boring, the pool was extremely murky, the beach was very dirty and the grounds were taken over by 100+ people celebrating a Suva Xmas party. We decided to go elsewhere and had a great time.

In summary they were very mean-spirited and not like what I would have expected from Fijians. I later found out it is run by a European so I should not be surprised by their stinginess. Everywhere else in Fiji the locals were fantastic and were very flexible about the cyclone. I gave them a star for the bures as they dod look good. However, the grounds and beach were poor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Marcus K
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Bula Vinaka Marcus and thank you for taking time to review Uprising Beach Resort. We firstly would like to apologise for falling short on so many points as you have listed. Your points raised have been noted and we do once again sincerely apologise that our policy did not meet your expectations. We are a 100% locally owned and operated resort, and are very disappointed in ourselves to hear that we did not provide the Fiji Spirit and friendliness, that is required. We have taken strong note of this and we definitely would like, if we could one day, to have you back with us. Once again Marcus, thank you, and our best wishes in your future travels.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

In it's favour, the big dorm I stayed at was very clean and tidy, barman Paul is very talkable, the food was great and the surrounds and atmosphere is nice, if a little quiet.

The downsides with my stay was that I had no locker for my dorm (they "lost the key" or something like that), the receptionist was not in a hurry to get off the phone to help me (minor) but the most frustrating experience was a hawker ON THE GROUNDS ON THE RESORT(!!) who scammed me into buying some junk off him. I was sucked in totally, assuming that he was actually a staffmember trying to be friendly and chatty. In reality he was trying to make a quick buck by carving my name into some trinkets, giving them to me, and then proceeding to me tell me that I owe him money. I put up with annoying hawkers and scammers in cities but having them in the grounds of the resort is a bit much!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bula Vinaka Stephen and thank you for taking time to review Uprising. We are happy that you have enjoyed the accommodation facilities and we will definitely pass on your thanks to Paul. We have taken note also of the handicraft sellers approach to selling items to you, and are thankful for you pointing this out. We are taking this matter very seriously. Once again Stephen, I sincerely appreciate your time and valid points, and from everyone at Uprising Beach Resort, Vinaka vakalevu.
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife & i stayed here in mid September, I had booked and paid for 5 nights for a garden bure but we left after 3 nights due to how bad this place was. Firstly let me start by saying that my wife & I are not complainers, when we book budget accomodation we expect a few roughly edges, what we dont expect is this level of bad management, bad service and grotty accommodation.
When we checked in there was some confusion with the unsmiling lady at reception saying that we had only booked for 2 nights & not 5, after showing her our receipts and convincing her that we had in fact paid for 5 we were told that there was a booking error & all the garden bures were booked out,but we would be put in a villa for the first 2 nights and will have our garden bure for the remaining 3.
After staying in the villa for 2 nights we went to reception on the morning of the 3rd day to see what the deal was and when we needed to vacate the room as we had not been told a specific time, we were told we needed to get out immediately because someone else had booked the room and were on their way. The way in which this was said made us very uncomfortable and made almost made us feel that we needed to run back to our villa as fast as we could to clear our things out. So much for a nice relaxing holiday! After getting the new keys we did actually jog back and were in the process of getting our things together when there was knock on the door, I open it and theres a man standing there who says "you must go now thankyou" he has security written on his shirt & obviously had been sent to hurry us along,how friendly!
We leave with armfuls of ours stuff, not having enough time to packup properly and move to our "garden bure."
Notice that I say garden bure in inverted commas? That is because after we moved in we found out from housekeeping that it wasn't a garden bure room at all, it was a called a mini dorm room and was considerable cheaper accommodation to to garden bure. Not only that but this room was extremely unclean and in a state of disrepair! Sheets and curtains were stained, glass panels missing from windows, doorknob almost falling off, outside toilet continiously flushing, I could go on.. I went back to reception to let them know that we weren't happy, not only had we been stuck in this hell hole of a room but we had been lied to and told that it was a garden bure!
Our "favourite" receptionist seemed puzzled when I brought this up, asking what was the number of the room we were moved to, to which i replied that it was the same number that was on the key she'd just given me.. (12 by memory)
She then says we can move again tomorrow! I then explained that the whole point of this holiday was to get away and relax and that it is impossible to do so when we have to keep moving around every night! If we had made a last minute booking then maybe I could understand it but I had booked this months in advance!
The night in that dorm was horrible, we only noticed the marks on the sheets when we were getting ready for bed, and with no way to call reception from the room, we actually put our towels down on the bed to sleep ontop of. We couldn't sleep due to the loud clacking noise coming from to ceiling fan, turn it off and the heat kept us up. Finally I started to drift off when I felt something crawling on my face! Instantly wide awake I jump up and slap my face, only to find I have squashed a big cockroach that had been sharing our bed! There goes any thought of getting back to sleep for the night!

In the morning sleep deprived and cranky we told the reception that we're checking out early, our time in Fiji was growing short and we felt we had already wasted 3 nights here and did not want to waste anymore or be moved around again. If the problems I've mentioned were the only ones we encountered and everything else was great then maybe we could've gotten over it but there were many other problems besides this. The staff were generally unfriendly, unhelpful and disinterested (besides housekeeping who were friendly), we don't expect to be greeted with "bula" at every turn but a smile occassionally would be nice, food was by far the worst we'd eaten in Fiji, there was no care or even acknowlegement by the management, the guy I assume to be the manager seemed to be too busy chasing after the needs of a visiting womens hockey team than worrying about the rest of the guests. As for activities, if you've seen the youtuble promo clip for this place forget it, there is no jetskiing etc. the activities hut is unmanned and when you ask about it none of the staff know where the guy is. Entertainment is non existent, don't expect a big saturday night with firedancers and hula girls, all that happens is that the rugby on tv gets turned way up so loud that its impossible to even hold a conversation. We decided to stick around after the rugby to see what happened after as I'd heard there was some sort of nightclub? Forget it! all it is is that the guy at the bar plays some lame songs (to an almost empty dining room and at half the volume as the rugby was.) I could go on and on, about the indian guy in charge of the buffet breakfast who makes you go to reception to get a breakfast voucher everyday although surely he remembers you from the previous morning and knows you have the free breakfast included in your package, (for all those seinfield fans think of the "soup nazi" and you"ll get my point) "no soup for you!" The supposed "free" wifi which isn't free at all! The tiny pool with unattended kids shouting and splashing..
All these things combined into to making this the holiday from hell and for those staying around Pacific Harbour I would definately advise to avoid this place and check into The Pearl which is up the beach. We walked up and spent the afternoon and dinner there on the 2nd night and the atmosphere/staff/food were 100 times better.
This place really dissapointed me as I had high hopes from reading other tripadvisor comments and it let me down on all levels, Althought I've stayed in many hotels and resorts I've never felt the need to write a review before but really felt that I should on this occassion to warn people of my experiences and possibly save someone from doing what we did & wasting what little holiday time they have. Fiji general is a beautiful country and Fijians are the friendliest people you'll ever meet, and The places we stayed at before and after this place were fantastic.. I hope this review doesn't seem to whiny, I even waited a couple of months before writing it so I'd be able to write it more objectively and with less emotion.

Overall two very big thumbs down!

THE GOOD: The villa was clean and spacious and the outside shower was a nice touch. The housekeeping was friendly & helpful.

THE BAD: Everyting else.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Coconut-Boi
AlfredUprising, General Manager at Uprising Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review Uprising Beach Resort. We firstly sincerely regret that we have fallen short on so many points. I can only sincerely apologise here profusely, and we would not wish or intend for any of these points to be experienced anywhere, or at anytime within the resort. I can only wish here too, that this had been brought to our immediate attention to help resolve our short comings and ensure every minute of your stay was an enjoyable one.
I can confirm that we have read thoroughly through your review, recommendations, and very important points, and we are taking all issues very seriously. I can also confirm this has made an impact on our current systems and procedures from administration and guest relations, food & beverage, to housekeeping and maintenance.
If there was any possibility of being given a second chance to redeem the level of our service, and property, I am certain we would not miss the opportunity. Once again, I sincerely thank you for taking time to review Uprising, Vinaka vakalevu and best wishes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Harbour
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Gecko's Resort
Gecko's Resort
#5 of 9 in Sigatoka

Been to Uprising Beach Resort? Share your experiences!