All reviewsoutdoor showergarden villabeachfront burearts villagerugby teamdorm roombeqa islandfeejee experienceshark diveriver raftingviti levubeach barbreakfast was includedfijian styleceiling fanour night staythe pearl
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We arrived at Uprising at about 8am, after a long transfer from Nandi airport. Breakfast was included with our accommodation, but not a lot on offer.
The staff at Uprising are very very friendly and welcoming, and made our stay very enjoyable. However the time between ordering a meal from the kitchen and receiving it was varying in length with an average of an hours wait. On the last night night our meal took nearly two hours, and my meal arrived after everyone else had eaten and was leaving the table! I know you're on Fiji time, but that was pushing it big time!
I was upgraded from a dorm room to a Bure (#2) to share with another lady travelling in our dive group. This ended up costing us nothing, so it was truly welcome! The Bure was comfortable and really lovely, and we looked forward to using the outdoor shower, although it took from Sunday to Wednesday to be fixed as previous to that there was cold water only. Thank goodness others from our group were in the next Bure!
Overall it was a great experience. I will definitely go back, in fact am in the progress of organising our next trip. I recommend the Seafood Platter. It's not on the menu but you need to ask for it, and takes 24 hours to source all the fresh seafood. Absolutely divine!
This is Fiji, it's a Fijian resort, so there are differences between this accomodation and something you'd come across in a major city. However, if there's something you want or need, just ASK, and do so politely. I noticed a lot of visitors speaking to the reception or bar staff like they were idiots and I feel this is rude and ignorant and completely uncalled for.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dive G
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We have had several meals at The Uprising. Every meal seems to be better than the last. The atmosphere and service is impeccable. Prices are reasonable but a little high for Fiji.This is our special occasion place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ronnie H
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at the Pearl resort just along the beach but called in at the Uprising on our way back from a trip to Suva just to have a look and a drink from the bar. We were so impressed by the friendly staff, lovely garden setting and great views of Beqa island that we returned again on our last day to have lunch.
I had a lovely fish salad and my partner’s yellow fin tuna burger was amazing, the good-sized tuna steak was perfectly cooked. The staff were very welcoming and let us laze the afternoon away on loungers by the pool. Unfortunately it was noisy with a group of people yahooing but as were only there temporarily we put up with it. I must admit I was glad we weren’t staying there, but it’s just a case of luck as to who’s staying where at the same time you are !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We needed to get away for just one night and couldn't go too far from Suva. Although a bit unsure about going to Uprising, as we had heard it was more for backpackers and late night partiers, I was pleasantly surprised as it was just what we had in mind - peaceful, clean and not too crowded. The villa we stayed in was nice, however, we had mentioned we needed to accommodate 2 adults and 2 children, so the double bed in the room was ok, however the couch to bed arrangement was not. I really don't see how we could have slept 2 children there. When we queried we were told we'd have to pay an extra $45 for a roll away bed. I thought this was crazy considering we were already paying $265 per night for our room. The best feature of our villa was the bathroom :) Disappointing features of our villa: mini fridge had nothing in it (not even water), no phones in the rooms (meaning you have to walk to reception if you need anything) & low water pressure.
The restaurant had a great menu and the food is great-will definitely go back for the food! The service however was not so great. We had to wait for service, and 80% of the time we had to walk to the bar to place our food orders. In one instance the waiter forgot our order and food came one whole hour later!! I would have been ticked off had we been in a rush. I don't know if this is so because we're locals and the attitude of staff towards guests vary from hotel to hotel.
I may go back only if there was no other option for accommodation in the area. I would definitely go back for the food - provided I don't have to go out of my way to order. Overall - expensive but not really worth it.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We love love LOVED our stay at Uprising! Three of us shared a Garden View Villa (twin beds and ull out bed) and it was amazing. Comfy beds, nice sofa to watch TV on, massive bathroom, cool outdoor shower, serviced daily. It was so nice to be able to come back to the room after a day at the beach and be able to get rid of the sand and feel clean again without dealing with dirty bathrooms.

Maybe we chose a particularly quiet week to go, but there didn't seem to be as much activity happening as you'd expect from the website or watching the videos. That said, we weren't every bored and still went snorkelling and walked into town for a bit of shopping. So handy to have good supermarket, clothes, and handcraft stores just a 10min walk away. And there were heaps of brochures in reception with ideas for day trips.

But the best part of our stay was the friendly staff. Everyone always greeted you with a "Bula" and did what they could to help out. The food at the restaurant it also amazing (try the Kokonda, Tex Mex pizza and Spaghetti Marinara) and the cocktails were so tasty, and all for such reasonable prices!

We loved our stay and would definitely go back!

Remember the Aeroguard. Fiji mozzies are a bitey bunch!

Room Tip: If you're trying to save money, the Garden Views really aren't that far away from the Beach Views and are the same.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends