“Pearl Pacific Harbour”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Pacific Harbour
Brisbane Australia
“Pearl Pacific Harbour”
Reviewed June 15, 2008

As I like golf I had heard about The Pearl at Pacific harbor / harbour in Fiji in May/June 2008.

My wife and I had never been to Fiji before and a website sent us a special offer so we grabbed it. I have no complaints about The Pearl because we got a great price for our deal. It is old and needs urgent renovations but we found it clean and yes I would also say 3.5 star. Food was great but got a bit boring after 3 days of our 7 night stay. If you are into diving you would love it.

Rooms were clean and comfortable.

Be aware that this area of Fiji can get a lot of rain for days and this happened to us (we found out eventually)- 3 days solid so we packed up and went to Nadi- nice and sunny.

It is just down the road (400m) from the ARTS VILLAGE which is worth a look but also run down. In fact, the whole area is a bit depressing economically and we felt sorry for the locals. Our taxi driver who was great (from alamanda taxis at Pac Harbour) told us that there is about 20% unemployment in Fiji.

Overall we found The Pearl great value for the price WE PAID and if you get a great deal take it. Only the weather dampened would would have been a great holiday there.

Oh yes - we also found the staff to be great.

Thanks to Tripadviser I was prepared in advance.

Tony
Brisbane Australia

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank ajmcmahon47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We stayed with some friends @ The Pearl South Pacific in Pacific Harbour, Fiji between April 26th and May 3rd, 2008. We had a wonderful trip! The “posh” hotel as the locals and other travelers call it was fantastic. It is modern, the people are very nice and helpful, and the rooms are great as well. We stayed in the section that has not been renovated and it was absolutely fine. Because we flew into Nadi and rented a car from Budget, we didn’t eat much @ the resort. The resort food is good but a tad pricy. We bought fruit, snacks, water, beer, and liquor at the grocery store across the street. The only thing that was a hassle was the lack of ice. There are no ice machines and if you want ice, I’m sure room service would bring it to you but we always just walked to the bar and got it ourselves. They are short on ice all the time so they only give you a few small scoops at a time. We ate mostly @ Perkins Pizza across the street in the Arts Village and the food is WONDERFUL and well priced. Go over and ask for Sharola (or Collin) and tell her “Farmer John” sent you. She is the owner and is there daily. She will take care of you! We had eaten at a few other places but we liked Perkins Pizza so much that we just kept going back. The pizza and calzones are TOP NOTCH but they have a wide variety of food (not just pizza)! I think we had everything on her menu over the course of the 8 days we were there and everything was fabulous. For activities see Lilly @ the Activities desk. She is a very nice lady and extremely helpful. We did snorkel, scuba diving, zip lining through the jungle (see Dan @ FijiZip), and the Rivers Fiji rafting trip. A person in our group did the shark dive and got a video of it. He said it was one of the best dives he’s ever been on. We also did a day trip to Mana Island which was wonderful as well. So many islands so little time! If you do rent a vehicle, they recommend limiting your driving at night because there are some crazy drivers. (Kava perhaps?) We had no issues however we never drove at night except on our way back from Mana Island. Even though it was Fall during the time we went, it only rained once during the day briefly and one night pretty hard. It was no big deal and we thought the weather was perfect. It was in the low 80s during the day and with the high humidity, it was not too hot at all – very comfortable. Most travelers are Austrailian. We met several other Americans on our adventures. The Fijians are very nice, genuine people and we learned so much about their culture. You will have a great trip! Have fun!

• Liked — The upscale furniture, the well-kept grounds, pool, and common areas. Room was perfect size, etc.
  • Disliked — Food was a little too high priced for what you received and taste; no ice machines if you wanted to enjoy a cocktail in your room.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank CaliBeachBound
Armidale, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We (myself and my 13yo nephew) returned from a week long stay at the Pearl in mid-April. I was becoming seriously nervous about the condition of the resort after reading a number of unfavorable reviews on this site and others leading up to our departure (mostly written prior to March 2008). I was pleasantly surprised, however, that it was not nearly as unlivable as I was fearing it may be.

The rooms (we had a twin room) were a bit small and a little tired feeling, but were clean and any problems were dealt with quickly. The standard of the rooms would not qualify as 5 star IMO (I'd say 3.5ish), but reports of dirty, bug infested accommodation which appeared in some earlier reviews were not part of our experience at all. The renovations were still on-going during our stay as well, but did not intrude much or create any problems. Once outside the room, the resort was quite nice. The restaurant and outdoor / pool / bar areas were very appealing and the beach, while not the best in the world, was eminently swimmable. There was a bit of a lack of Fijian-ness to the place (it had a more Asian / Indonesian feel), but once you started talking to the locals and staff, this feeling disappeared.

What made the modest accommodation easy to dismiss as a problem, was the extremely friendly and helpful staff, and the genuinely fun, and mostly good value, range of activities on offer. Trips on the resort owned boat were quite cheap and, while there seemed to be a fairly, regimented activities schedule (according to the daily updates on the board), the reality was that if you were out with the very friendly skipper, he was happy to do what ever you liked. We went on a few trips (with myself and my nephew as the only passengers) which turned out to be combined fishing / snorkeling / sight-seeing trips, and it was great fun.

There are also plenty of fun and interesting activities, which we organized through operators who were based in or very close to the resort. These included a rafting trip on one of the highland rivers, a jet-ski "safari" which covered about 60km around Beqa lagoon, and a go on the recently established "canopy zip-line tour" (aka: giant flying-fox), all of which were excellent.

The restaurant options at the resort provided decent meals, though they did feel a bit pricey. A small problem with staying in this part of Viti Levu, was that we were really limited to the dining options available at the resort, as there were very few alternatives in easy traveling distance. There was an eatery in the Arts Village complex, which we went to a couple of times just for a change of scenery, but the quality was not spectacular.

As a final observation, I think that my nephew was the only kid that I spotted for the entire week we were there. There was no apparent "kids club" or organized activities to give parents a bit of a break, and travelers with younger children may want to check this out a bit before booking at this resort.

Overall, I thought the Pearl was an ideal base from which to take advantage of the range of activities in the Pacific Harbor area. The people were great and really contributed to what was a fun and memorable holiday.

• Liked — The people / staff and the environment
  • Disliked — The rooms were a little tired feeling but no real problem
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank JesperKain
rossland, bc
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I loved the whole feeling of being able to wander around in a bathing suit, pareo and a hibiscus behind my ear. The surroundings at the Pearl were utterly gorgeous and the temperature very comfortable. My family and I snorkelled, did river kayaking, went on the zip-line, river rafted and tried out scuba diving in the pool. The grounds were beautiful with water lilies, exotic flowers, hammocks, and views of the ocean and river. I did lots of watercolors at the resort. We usually ended the afternoon with a glass of red wine while the sun set. Then we went for a relaxing and delicious dinner in the open air restaurant. It was so easy to just let every worry float away.
In the 10 days we stayed at the Pearl there was clear evidence of hard work on the part of the resort to sharpen up and maintain the resort. Two decks were built plus a bure hut on the beach, a wall mosaic was done, walls were painted, handrails varnished. They are working hard to make it a great place. The people who worked there were lovely. I can't wait to go back.

Stayed March 2008
California
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Having started our Fiji trip at a less than adequate accommodation, we discovered The Pearl and quickly moved over. The hotel is situatuated at the end of a gorgeous 5 mile white sand beach, including breathtaking views of neighboring islands. The staff is extremely friendly, the executive chef creates fabulous meals that look as good as they taste, and the General Manager makes a point to introduce himself to all guests he encounters. The hotel is currently undergoing construction, but no inconviences were felt during our stay. The rooms were very clean and the grounds well maintained. Everything was reasonably priced (food, rooms, activities). I would definately recommend The Pearl not only to travelers but as a great place for a destination wedding or honeymoon.

Stayed April 2008
Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I recently travelled to Fiji for a relaxing holiday. Fiji has great weather and friendly people which will not change regardless of hotel therefore I will skip that. In my party I had my wife and mother. I chose the Pearl for a number of reasons

1) It had its own beach, its own onsite diving instructors and a comprehensive day by day pre-organised activity schedule for both sunny and runny weather. I am an active person and needed to know that for my vacation (one week), there were a variety of ‘free’ activities suited for me or relaxing options –without travel – available for my mother. On this point the Pearl was very thorough.

2) In my extensive travels it is my experience that an entire holiday can be ruined – simple by the experience of travel to and from airport and hotel. I could tell you a ‘horror stories’ about Johannesburg airport to hotel trip. It is pleasing therefore to have arrived in Fiji and been greeted the second I walked out the arrival gates to a lay (sea shell/flower necklace), a bottle of water and a guide/driver who job it was to provide information, assistance and comfortable travel directly to the Pearl.

3) On top of the information from the website…. (which was very helpful)

I enquired (prior to departing) about shark diving, hiring a car, cultural tours etc. I was sent a personal email from the manager offering assistance and advice with booking activities for my proposed stay

What made the stay memorable (relevant to accommodation) were among others the following points;

5) I caught a coral trout  (by borrowing fishing gear from the Pearl and bait from the kitchen). See attached photo. The staff at the Pearl recommended how and what to eat with it then cooked it for us. We ate it at one of its three on site restaurants to a live performance of one of Fiji’s top female vocalists. Sitting at the table eating a fish you caught surrounded by good music, loved ones and friendly staff -it is hard to describe in words the concept which is contentment.

6) We were there on New Years and the evening was amazing – literally. We had a live band imported from overseas, we had a choice of a variety of different banquets however the thing that really made was when I was lying back on one of the pool banana cars looking up into the sky, marvelling at the fact that 100m was the launching platform for – what seemed to me to be – my own personalised 20min fireworks display.

I will not bore you with an epic essay on ever facet of the trip, suffice to say this, I can not fault very many things. If I have in part given you an idea of the ability of the Pearl and its staff to create an unforgettable holiday then the time spent writing and reading this review was worth while. If ever you make it to Fiji I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

• Liked — Staff and Activities
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed December 2007
1 Thank manuwakely
Sydney
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We have just returned from a week at The Pearl South Pacific. The hotel is classy, contemporary and relaxing and we have never experienced such incredible personal service before. All staff go out of their way to make your experience memorable. During your whole stay you will be on first name basis with all staff from reception, bar staff and if you have the pleasure of meeting the newly appointed manager Dean he will remember you too.

We indulged ourselves in some of the plentiful sightseeing and adventures offered at the hotel. The only thing stopping you from experiencing all of the tropical forest and water adventures is time. You would need three weeks at least to experience the rain forest walks , kayaking, flying fox, snorkelling and shark driving (for the willing) not to mention the fishing trips and private island getaways personally organised by the hotel.

Close walking distance is a Fijian cultural village where you can experience the true Fijian culture including fire walking. The resort itself has a daily activity board with such things as scuba for beginners in the pool, basket weaving demonstration, all of your usual resort activities as well a frog racing and Fijian sing-along by the beach bon fire.

We stayed in one of the Penthouse Suites and would highly recommend any of the newly renovated suites. All with different themes you can look online for one best suited to your taste.

As you can see by the view from our room the grounds are immaculate and the pool, with a swim up bar, is very inviting. During the day you are pampered like you are the only guests. Come the afternoon all of the day trippers return to fill the restaurants and bars for happy hour. Great time to mingle and meet the other guests.

The fine dining restaurant, Spa and golf course are what stands out for me in this resort. All needs catered for you will not want more!!!

• Liked — Penthouse indulgence
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to The Pearl Resort? Share your experiences!