Pearl Resort - Fiji - September 8, 2012
What a waste of one of the world’s best locations. On a beautiful beach in Pacific Harbor with great views of Beqa Lagoon, the Pearl Resort is a giant disappointment due to bad management. The list of things that could be fixed, but aren’t is way too long: they provide in-room safes; but few of them are bolted down so a thief can just take the whole thing; the food is good, but the odds of your waitresses getting your order right is only 50/50 on a good day. The hostess at the activities desk must have invented the phrase “it’s not my job.” All rooms feature only on/off can-lighting in the ceilings with no nightstand or other lighting fixtures. The bathrooms have no venting and the smell of mold is overwhelming, particularly after showering. The odor could be coming from the grey towels that used to be white, but it was hard to tell. The gym has a great view and is well equipped, but the lack of maintenance has left most machines rusted and hard to use. There were two billiard tables provided, but both had worn and ripped cloth that made a serious game impossible. A dedicated Media Room was a plus, but the stink in the carpet meant you couldn’t stand to be in there.
This continued at the golf course. The Robert Trent Jones layout in the Fiji jungle was magnificent. However, the maintenance and staff was again a giant disappointment. The groundskeepers spent most of their time trying to sell you used golf balls. If you didn’t quickly find your shot, they’d even try to sell you back your own ball. Fifteen of the 18 greens were what most courses would call the “first cut.” Two greens featured lawn mowers permanently disabled and abandoned. A credit card transaction to buy a shirt in the pro shop took 37 minutes. Several drainage areas have turned into eroding rivers that could easily swallow your cart. While we were there, the new owners had consultants in to address these issues, so better times may be ahead.
There were some good things. There was a great supply of quality fresh water, beautiful sandy beaches, and numerous spots to relax from the swim-up bar to randomly placed cabanas. The pool area was very nice, but a hot tub would be a nice addition. The exceptions to the bad service we received throughout the resort were the guys at the pool and bell desk who were always friendly and quick to respond to any requests.
The bottom line is you may want to lower your expectations from what you see in the photos of this potentially great resort or wait for the new owners to make some of the many needed improvements.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on one of Fiji's longest sandy beaches and surrounded by lush tropical gardens, The Pearl Resort is an idyllic escape in the heart of Fiji's adventure capital of Pacific Harbour. The chic and stylish Fiji accommodation will set the perfect mood for your perfect holiday with Ocean, Marina or Garden View rooms and Penthouse Suites available to choose from while Internationally acclaimed chefs create diverse menus that reflect both local and international cuisine in no fewer than six on-site restaurants including the signature fine dining restaurant, Seduce. Synonymous with romance, The Pearl Resort is the perfect location to host a Fiji wedding and provides couples with some of the best wedding packages in Fiji. These include a variety of venue options such as the elegant beachfront chapel and a dedicated wedding coordinator to help ensure everything runs smoothly. Whether you're looking for an adrenaline charged adventure holiday or a luxurious vacation to relax, unwind and recharge, The Pearl Resort is the ultimate holiday destination for the discerning traveller. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Pearl Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pearl South Pacific Hotel Pacific Harbour
- Pearl South Pacific Harbour
- The Pearl Resort Fiji, South Pacific - Pacific Harbour