“Shark-o-rama!”

Beqa Adventure Divers
Reviewed September 2, 2015

I dive quite a lot. I live in Hawaii as a scuba instructor and I travel to dive several times a year. I've see sharks. Plenty of sharks. I'm not easily excited about sharks but I would recommend this dive to anyone who wants to see PLENTY of VERY, VERY LARGE (behemoth) sharks.
BAD runs a tight ship. I felt a bit like I was heading off to (a confusing) boot camp. "Put your gear in the bin! Put your belongings in the shed! Everyone sit down and stay seated! No, we don't have any defog, just spit!" No defog? Also, no o-ring grease (at the shop or on the boat) for the poor guy with camera troubles. A dive operation with no defog or o-ring grease, makes one think.
Alright, these crusty old guys do this everyday. I'm a scuba instructor, I know it's like herding cats but couldn't they put out a wee bit of aloha? (bula, whatever) not one of us was asked how much weight we need. They came around handing out belts loaded with 15lbs. 15lbs! Holy crap, I'm 5' 2". (Suddenly I understood why in the brief they said to inflate your bcd to come up.) I asked for much less and was given slightly less. They want people to stay glued to the bottom and I was.
Their web site has a brief lecture about how they allow smoking on the boat and if you are a rabid non-smoker, keep it too yourself. I understand that the world is full of smokers and they smoke. Turns out the crew all smoke like fiends, all that “we allow smoking” stuff, is for them.
Two dives were made. The first to 95' till my computer was maxed out, at which point we ascended to a shallower feeding station and then shallower still. By time we got back on the boat my computer was well out of the red.
The boat moved around for our surface interval of just over an hour while being served hot tea with milk and a cookie. We were given a rather nice talk about all the sharks, shark finning, counting, tagging and tissue sampling. It's easy to see these crusty old guys love these sharks.
The second dive was to 83 feet until the split second my computer was about to go into deco mode. Again we ascended (no easy feat with all the weight I had on) stopping at another feeding station and then gradually coming back to the boat, again with my computer well in the clear.
Both dives were SHARK-O-RAMA, loaded with shark action. The Bull Sharks are so big as to seem slightly cartoonish. There are so many sharks you almost can't see them because they are all getting in the way of each other.
So, go on the shark dive. Be not afraid. Go with these guys. Just don't expect a lot of fluffy, cuddly feelings from them and what the hell, take up smoking and share a ciggy with them while you’re out there.

1  Thank Michelle S
in 26 reviews
"few meters"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2015

Diving with the massive bull sharks of Fiji is something that I had dreamt of doing for years! I’d heard about Beqa Adventure Divers and the great work they were doing for the conservation of the sharks and their habitat and made it a priority to visit them to support their efforts and also learn from them.
The briefing was very long and exhaustive. Not just regarding safety and environmental conditions but also describing what this project is all about: Preserving populations and species to maintain the health of the marine ecosystem in the area. This company have recently managed to convince the government to make their Shark Reef the first protected Marine Park area in Fiji and work tirelessly to monitor their impact and progress within the reserve.
The dives were awesome. We witnessed nearly 50 Bull sharks in one dive! Where else in the world can you safety dive with this number of sharks and other fish? The sites are teeming with life, a direct result of protecting the marine reserve from fishing for more than a decade.
Essentially this is not just about going diving and having a great day surrounded by sharks, but about contributing to a long running, successful shark conservation project which also benefits the entire local economy.

Reviewed August 26, 2015

Dive masters and divers are great. They explain everything and put everyone at ease for the shark dives. It was extremely organized while on the boat. My only complaint was the wait for the free transport. Especially at the end. We had to wait more than 30 minutes.

Reviewed August 23, 2015

This dive is amazing on every level. I did multiple dives with BAD, all of them were outstanding. I have done a reasonable amount of shark diving and this dive really nails it, when it comes to both shark interactions and responsible diving. I had heard it was great , but it really was far better than I had imagined. The shark action is, well, epic!

The staff (both in the office and of course the dive crew) are fun, friendly, helpful, knowledgable and very good at what they do. The management and crew show a genuine care and concern for these sharks.

The shop, boat, and dive gear is in great condition and the facilities are kept very tidy.

The shark diving operation is well structured and I feel this is why it runs so smoothly. On the dives I did there were between 30-55 bull sharks so it is very obvious why the structure and safety measures they use are necessary. In saying this, the vibe felt relaxed and easy because it was obvious the crew were very well versed in the day's activities, and enjoy it. In turn this makes you feel at ease, and allows you to just enjoy the dive, and let the crew do their thing (look after your safety and the Sharks ).

BAD was also responsible for getting the shark reef protected as a marine reserve, and continues to work on the research and conservation of the sharks in the area by tagging, observations and management.

Surveys are completed during the dives, recording a large variety of data, and because of this they have a huge database of information and statistics dating quite a few years back, and this continually assists management of the area.

Local Fijians are employed and trained up from entry level which is awesome, and also each diver contributes a levy that goes to support the local village, which is great.

Value wise it is fantastic, two dives of 42-45 mins each, with amazing viewings of the sharks (I saw Bulls, grey reefs, black tips, and white tips). Water, Tea and biscuits are supplied on the surface interval, as well as towels if you haven't your own. There is also free transport to and from the dive shop if you are staying in pacific harbour.

I won't spoil the details of the dive, you will have to see for yourself ... But you won't be disappointed !!!

1  Thank re82