“Best Shark Dive Experience”

Aqua-Trek Shark Encounter
Cairns, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Best Shark Dive Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

If you do any diving in Fiji make it this one! My fiance and I stayed on the Coral Coast specifically for this dive. It did not disappoint. The staff were great and though we brought our own gear, the rental gear appeared to be great quality, very impressed to see mares masks as rentals. It's a short trip out to the dive site, the owner of the company Brandon has a lot of knowledge about the area and the marine life you encounter. We loved it so much we did it again the next day and cannot thank the staff enough for looking after us. As two experienced divers (one instructor) it was amazing to get a real thrill from a dive again. I would recommend asking the staff where the best viewing spots are before descending. They'll really help you to get good shots if you bring a camera. The sharks are amazing, in such close proximity. Never felt unsafe at any time, this dive really makes you see sharks for the amazing creatures they are.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank alk920

Sydney, Australia
“The most sharky dive ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Aqua-Trek is fantastic. Brandon established the shark dive in Pacific Harbour and has an amazing wealth of knowledge and understanding of these animals. The staff here are friendly and professional and the Bistro is one of a kind. I enjoyed it so much that I did six shark feeding dives. I saw six species of sharks in one dive and they were close! SENSATIONAL!

Visited December 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Awesome shark dives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Did a week’s worth of shark diving, one day with BAD and the rest with Aqua Trek.

As for the diving itself and what to see, I think it’s been thoroughly covered by all the other reviews here. Water temp in late August was 25C, surface was quite choppy at times but hardly any currents.

If you love sharks, this is pretty hard to beat. Kudos to the dive ops here for doing this kind of shark diving operation, while also promoting conservation and raising awareness at the same time. We’ve been diving for 10+yrs and this definitely tops our list.

Valerie, Jonah the head DM and all the staff were super nice and willing to please. I’m a photographer and the DMs would always get us a nice spot along the reef to get the best view for all the fish action. Safety was never a concern. Rather than doing the surface interval on the boat on choppy seas the skipper would always take us back to the dive center in between the 2 shark dives, so that was nice.

We did one day of shark diving with BAD to try their site (‘The Arena’), which had a different topography but equally awesome sharks (even the safety stop was shark feeding). You could tell that the local staff were actually nice but the expat owner (who tagged along for the dives) was just too uptight and as a result the staff were always on their toes. We’re very disciplined and conservative divers but this guy’s too strict rules took a lot of the fun out. Very anal old dude.

Aqua Trek OTOH, was nothing but fun and safe diving.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank SeaDweller02
OK, USA
3 attraction reviews
“Truly Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I dove two days before with Aqua Trek before we attended a conference in Nadi. It was such a good experience that when a rive trip we had planned was cancelled due to low water I booked another day after the convention. We told Brandon before we dove that my husband wasn't very experienced and he assigned a dive master to us. There were a lot of people at the site the first two days but the process was very well explained before we went down and our dive master stayed with us during the entire dives. I think wherever you dive it is important to communicate if you have trepidation, I have never had a dive shop balk at sending a dive master with us and I have experience all over the world. Brandon took the time to explain what to do and where to place ourselves to get the best pictures. We only had shorties which we used for the coral dives, but the dive shop gave us two long wetsuits to use for the shark dives at no extra cost. We had about 20 divers on the shark dives and there were no equipment issues with the group. The shop picked us up and returned us to or resort each day at no extra charge. I got sick during the last day of diving (turned out to be dengue fever) and the skipper returned me to shore in between dives with no complaints. This was truly a wonderful experience, Valerie, Brandon, and all of your dive masters and crew- thank you much, we hope to return!

Visited October 2012
Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The BEST dive in the World!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Wow! Wow! Wow!! This dive should be on every divers bucket list. My group just got back from Fiji and we did the Shark Dive with Aqua Trek. I've never felt compelled to write a review on Trip Advisor until now. Our group is all veteran divers and we have been diving together for almost 40 years, all over the world. We are a picky bunch and we all agreed that this is absolutely the best dive we had ever experienced. It’s always exciting to see sharks when on a dive, but this dive is on a level of its own. Being so close to so many different types of sharks and being able to witness their behavior was an amazing experience I will never forget. It was a lot to take in on one dive so we had to do it over and over!! Made me realize what beautiful creatures they are. Brandon and the staff at Aqua Trek were outstanding. We dove with them a week and every dive was better than the last. The coral dives were also excellent. Aqua Trek’s operation was about as top-notch as they come, one of the best I have had the pleasure to dive with. The staff is professional and personable, extremely experienced. We felt 100% safe with them. Brandon is about the most knowledgeable person I have ever met when it comes to sharks. We just want to say we had an outstanding experience with you all and want to thank you for this. Good job boys!!

Visited October 2012