“fantastic relaxing hoilday but, ?Child friendly managment?” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Toberua Island Resort

Toberua Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toberua Island
Melbourne, Australia
“fantastic relaxing hoilday but, ?Child friendly managment?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

Fantastic, relaxing holiday, fantastic fijian staff our only issue was that when we arrrived with our 10and 12 year olds, unfortunatley there were some other noisy and unsupervised younger children on the island, who had dissrupted some older guests stays. My children were automaticlly frowned upon and on the second day they were "told off" at the pool at 4pm in the afternoon as " someone was sleeping" by the relieving austraialin manageress. This is not what you would expect from an island that states that they are child friendly and takes children.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Loved, loved, loved our bura on the beach!!! Staff was very friendly and the food was excellent! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay during our honeymoon. Excellent scuba diving spots. Saw a huge reef with lots of coral and sea life...even a turtle! In the evenings when the tide goes out you can see hundreds of starfish on the beach.

• Stayed May 2010
Masterton, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

We have just had a lovely week on Toberua Island. We had a beautifully situated bure, and warm, friendly, personable staff. The meals, bar service and accompanying music were first class.
Toberua Island is a truly magic place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I have never felt compelled to write a review before however this island is so wonderful that I just had to. Selfishly there is a part of me that would rather keep it a secret but really it so magical that I want others to experience it too!

From the moment we arrived to the moment we said goodbye this was THE most relaxing and enjoyable holiday that we have had and we have travelled extensively through out the South Pacific and around the world.

I have never felt so welcomed and cared for on a holiday before. The service was exceptional and the staff went above and beyond on many occasions. This island personifies one big happy family but I never felt crowded or that I didn't have my space.

The bures are delightful and spacious, each with a view out to the ocean. Each comes with an outdoor table and chairs, 2 loungers on the bure verandah, and 2 other loungers on the sand plus a swinging chair and a hammock. No worries about not being comfortable! The foot sized clam shells at your door to wash the sand off with are a nice touch!

The indoor outdoor bathrooms are also spacious with oodles of hot water whenever you need it. And the complimentary shampoo, conditioner and moisturizing lotion are from the Pure Fiji range which is just heaven. If you don't already know it you will be a convert once you've tried it!

Getting the meal plan was a great idea - takes all the thought out of "what am I going to have to eat" which I really enjoyed as I get so sick of trying to decide what I want for dinner each day! The chef, Mali, is fantastic - each meal was different and delicious - and the soups were to die for. I want him to make a cook book! There were 2 choices of mains each day, breakfast was a buffet bar and a cooked breakfast, lunch was 3 courses, dinner 4. Needless to say, I left the island weighing a little more than when I arrived!!

It was a bit windy when we first arrived but amazingly you just had to cross top the other side of the island and there was no wind! Hard to imagine that an island so small could have micro-climes but it does!

What did I like the most? It's so hard to say as there was so much that was good but the staff were absolutely outstanding. I really liked the way there were activities for those that want do them - day trips to villages, or even remoter islands, or the Bird Sanctuary, or the wreck dive. Or you can just chill by the pool or on your private deck and noone will bother you. I ended doing the introduction to diving course and went for my first open sea dive - it was FANTASTIC!

What didn't I like? Leaving! But the staff even made leaving fun!!

I could just go on and on but I'll finish here with a geat big round of thanks and appreciation for ALL the people at Toberua Island that made it such a magical time. You all know who you are!!! THANKS!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MichieP
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed at the Toberua Island Resort for 12 nights at the end of July and had a perfect time. The island is great for relaxing and a definate must for a honeymoon.

As with the other reviews, we were greeted on arrival with a serende and drink by the amazing staff. Well needed after 2.5 days of travelling.

The bure was large and well equipped with a nice sized bed. Outside we had chairs and a table, 2 loungers and a hamock - which was definately one of the high points of our trip.

The food was of a very high quality, despite what other reviews on here state. There was plenty of it and it always tasted very good. We especially loved the starter of ravioli with green thai curry sauce! There was always fish on the menu and although neither of us eat fish, we were always well catered for. The cocktails are also worth a mention - once we'd been through the cocktail menu, Zach (the bartender) made us 'specials' which were all lovely. Not overly priced either, compared to another resort we stayed at.

We went on a couple of days trips - the village trip (great fun dancing with the villagers!), Picnic Island (fabulous snorkelling) and snorkelling trips. They were all good fun and reasonable value for money. I also went to church on Sunday and despite the service being in Fijian, I really enjoyed the experience.

What really makes this resort so lovely is the staff though who are all friendly, caring (their concern when my new husband was ill was very touching), good fun and always willing to say Bula! Special mention to Eroni, Joe, Emori, Zach and Bule (not sure how you spell that!) - who were an unforgettable part of our trip.

Only negatives really were that it quite a weather dependent resort. We had a few days of rain and there is obviously very little to do in that scenerio. That said, the staff tried hard to entertain us on those days with talks, demostrations and films. Also, while the bure was always very clean we did sometimes have towels that have seen better days.

Other than that, loved it!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jellyfer78
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

Stayed on Toberua Island for 8 days and did not want to leave! Well organized holiday experience from the pick up at the airport to drop off at the airport ....nothing to fault! Staff are friendly, helpful and genuinely happy. They don't expect a tip and are still full of smiles and laughter!
Our bure (bungalow) was fantastic, traditional with a very modern twist, well appointed, very clean and comfortable with the convenience of your own semi-open air bathroom, large deck overlooking the sea just steps away from water, with your own hammock, sunlougers and deckchairs. The pool is small but refreshing...
Overall a very small island with only 15 bure's (so no overcrowding) gives a nice family feeling, and the staff the opportunity to get to know you by name.
The food was plenty with a good breakfast, 10 o'clock tea, 3 course lunch, 4 pm tea and 4 course dinner under the stars.... All food was delicious and freshly cooked by a very accomplished chef! The food was of high standard, lovely flavour and high quality.
Because there is nothing to do on the island but relax , sun, sleep and eat...the staff put on daily activities which if you whish you can take part in free off charge...snorkel trips are arranged daily free of charge...you 0nly have to pay for diving courses or your tank if you are a padi diver and day trips away from the island...but all is affordable!
We enjoyed the island very much and would recommend this resort to anybody....
We brought a laptop and videos etc...because there is no TV but we did not feel inclined to take it out once!
You will leave the island tanned, relaxed, a few pounds heavier but with a smile on your face and in your heart!
If the world was not so big and if there were not soo many places to see I would definitely come back.....
Shelley the manager (who has only been there for 2 months!) is doing an amazing job to keep it all organized and to your liking...she is always around to make the stay even more comfortable and to keep you safe ( she makes sure life jackets are on board etc. when the staff take you out etc...not that they were needed! The staff know the area really well and look after you as if you were one of their own!)
Vinaka Vaka Levu ...Toberua staff.!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GreySkinnedBoy
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed on Toberua for 5 nights and it was incredible. I had read all the reviews and seen many photos before arriving, but they didn't capture at all how magical it was stepping onto the island. We arrived at nighttime after a long day of travelling. As we went out on the boat it became quieter and quieter, and finally we were greeted by beautiful voices with guitars. People carried our bags and we were given tropical drinks straight away. The island was most beautifully lit up and it was like walking through a magical forest with small paths weaving through. We checked out our beautiful bure then went straight to dinner - their weekly gourmet BBQ on a Saturday night. During our week we met some wonderful couples, swam in the pool, went snorkelling by the reef, went on an incredible village visit with a full welcome, kava, and tour, had 3-course lunches every day and 4-course dinners, swam some more, kayaked, played darts, drank, watched a coconut demonstration, flax weaving demonstration, heard storytelling, and were serenaded each night at dinner. Several nights there were only a few of us in the bar and we effectively had our own barman and three serenaders all to ourselves. The staff were so friendly and the food was wonderful. We had fresh fish, beef, pork... you name it, I have never been so full in my life! Our leaving night and special leaving song was very sad, and I can't wait to go back. It is worth all the money and travelling in the world.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Quest Apartments-Suva
Five Princes Hotel
Five Princes Hotel
#5 of 12 in Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!