“Fantastuc Resort!!!!”

Canada
“Fantastuc Resort!!!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Unique Resort.

My husband and I stayed with our children 12 and 16 for two weeks in July 08. We renewed our vows on the island. I’m a travel agent and have traveled extensively. This
Resort is one of a kind. All the positive comments are true and there are no negative ones unless you really are a complainer! Our stay was peaceful, romantic..even with our kids there, it was exciting and the most relaxed I’ve ever felt. There are no phones, TV’s or newspapers. You are in a world of complete holiday mode when you step onto this island. I felt pampered in so many ways. All the staff we’re incredibly kind and helpful. Even to the point when our flight over to Nadi wasn’t until 3:30 pm and Hudson looked after us by extending our check out until then. The food is 5 star. The bures are in need of refurnishing…however they have plans to do that as I had the chance to chat with the new owners a couple of times. I hope they are able to keep the Fiji charm though. The renewal was beautiful! The way they look after the kids with activities during our entire stay was fantastic. If there were no activities planned there are several board games and lots of sea treasure to find. The reef golf is fun. Two weeks there and it was only the last 2 days that the kids seemed to be hanging around the bure a bit more. Bravo Toberua…thanks for making my holiday and wedding renewal the absolute BEST! I will never forget my Toberua friends. Hi Hudson…I know the traveler and information sponge that you are…you’ll be reading this! Say hi to everyone there for us!!! We miss you!

4 Thank geriann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I found Toberua on this website. We wanted a quality family holiday (kids aged 8 and 6) away from the school holiday crowds. I craved detail when deciding whether to go so I have made this review as comprehensive as possible.
Getting there: The transfer from Nadi to Toberua was surprisingly easy and stress free. We checked in at the Pacific Sun counter for our flight to Suva and they didn’t ‘blink and eye’ that we were 9 kilos over the (4 x 15 kgs) weight allowance. Hand luggage wasn’t weighed. Boarding was on time and effortless and in less than 25mins we were landing in Suva. After collecting our bags we were met immediately by a minibus transferring us and another couple to Toberua. A 15 minute drive and the boat was waiting for us and 30 minutes later we were there. We loved the fact that the road and sea legs allowed us to see the Fijian houses and villages. This gave us all a better feel and understanding for Fiji and our kids especially loved the smiles and waves we got along the way. Our return trip was equally effortless and efficient.
Arrival and the island: A traditional song from some of the staff and a greeting from the resident managers. There was a voluntary kava ceremony (quick and easy) and we felt especially welcome. The island is small, but we grew to love it. We met some great people and our kids made some great friends. Alternatively, if you don’t want to talk to or meet anyone there is lots of privacy.
Accommodation: We stayed in a deluxe oceanfront bure. It had a lot of positives and only a couple of negatives. The good things - very spacious, open plan with a king bed and two singles. Amazing position with a large balcony right on the waters edge with two cushioned sun lounges (I loved lying out there with a cocktail and a good book), a swinging double seat and chairs and table. It had an indoor/outdoor bathroom and lots of louvered windows to let in the air and sunlight. There was a fridge, safe and tea and coffee making facilities. Our bure was in a duplex arrangement. There was no one next door for our entire stay but even if there had been the layout ensures that the only shared wall is against the bathroom so I doubt we would have heard or seen anyone. Very quiet, we had great nights sleeps, farthest away from the restaurant and bar. The only minor issues were the bed, the inner springs were uncomfortable (I understand new beds are on the way); the ceiling fan was old, not working on one speed and squeaky (not enough to keep us up at night) and the door had a primitive wooden locking mechanism that made it hard to open and shut. There don’t seem to be any good or bad bures, all are on the waters edge, all have traditional Fijian décor and most are stand alone, possibly one side is a little windier than the other (we were on the calmer side). Overall we were happy with the accommodation.
Food: in a word - Excellent, fresh ingredients expertly prepared and presented. Two selections for each course (3 course lunch, 4 course dinner) but in most cases both sounded so amazing it was difficult to choose. Loved the preordering system for lunch and dinner, they come and find you and you make your selection. We looked forward to every meal. Kids dinner at 6pm was great. Extra special touches were freshly baked cookies for morning and afternoon tea. Also there was the option of dining in your bure if desired. In the restaurant, weather permitting tables were set up right on the waterfront with the sound of the waves rippling and the stars in the sky – magic.
Waterbased Activities: The free snorkeling trip everyday was terrific. Note there is no good snorkeling accessible directly off the island but lots of options a short boat trip away. The beach is also really small. Our first trip was special, we were joined by a pod of dolphins, the water was mirror smooth, the visibility good, probably the best snorkeling we have done in Fiji. Fishing was also great with the legendary Meika(?). I suspect no one knows the waters around Toberua better than him. We got up at 6am to go trawling and came back with three fish including a coral trout. This was all thanks to Meika’s expertise – he was a patient teacher. You can also fish off the island at any time. Tip: if fishing is important to you book your boat trips early as demand can by high. Scuba diving was OK (take your own wetsuit as many of those on offer had seen better days). The dive professional was skilled and knowledgeable. We had some bad weather, especially one day so visibility was average (10m on the worst day; 20m on the best day). I suspect we couldn’t get to some of the better sites because of the conditions. The pool looked brand new and was spotlessly clean. We had a brilliant trip to Picnic Island (full day) – picture perfect coral cay with snorkeling to die for and a white sandy beach.
Land based activities: the first two days were fantastic. We enjoyed a great game of golf (on the Toberua sand flats) with LaLa and on the second day when the weather was bad, a two hour twice around the island petanque game with some of the other guests that was a laugh a minute. After that sadly LaLa left the island and it appeared responsibility for both water and land activities was allocated to one person. Impossible to run a golf game and take guests snorkeling at the same time! As a result, land based activities seemed to dry up (no pun intended) which was really disappointing. At least the village visit still went ahead and we loved the opportunity to show our kids Fijian life and culture. I regretted not taking something for the school, just a small thing like a book or pencils (not necessary or expected but something I would do if I was going again).
Wedding: There was a vow renewal (basically a wedding) while we were there and from what we observed it was beautifully done.
Spa: we both had massages and they were good.
The staff: Kind, genuine, friendly people, providing great service, the nicest people we have ever come across in Fiji (and we have met some terrific people). We especially loved the more experienced members (older staff), so knowledgeable and so great with our kids. The ladies in housekeeping were also fantastic. Our room was serviced before we finished breakfast every day! Their smiles were infectious. Sometimes it’s the little things that make a difference, a special nail polish and beautiful flower art for our daughter from the babysitter; a kind and knowlegible nurse who checked on our son when he had a temperature. Much appreciated.
Toberua changed hands while we were there, we met both the old owner and the new owners and their support team. We understand the new owners plan to upgrade the facilities. Our hope is that they retain the people and culture that make this place unique and wonderful. If they do we look forward to going back one day.

• Liked — The food and the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank JodieTravel01
Whitford, Auckland
Reviewed May 18, 2008

For several years our family have chosen Toberua as our favourite destination for a relaxing break. We have visited the Island as returnee guests many times, always finding the service, food and accomodation of high and consistent quality. Toberua's biggest asset is its staff, many of whom have come to be considered friends and all of whom seem genuinely proud of their Island.

Our last visit to Toberua was in June 2007. Since this time there has been a change of Manager and I believe it will be followed shortly by a change in Ownership.

We have in the past had no hesitation in recommending Toberua as a destination for anyone wanting to relax and unwind. However, I would strongly advise guests booking directly through Toberua's flamboyant Reservations Clerk to insure their details of arrival are noted and fully understood (we have personally been left at Suva Airport on three occasions), all requirements and arrangements are in writting, details are written in the reservations diary, and even if not requested, a deposit is paid at the time of reserving your holiday.

As Toberua is slightly limited in actual beach frontage we have always made sure to prebook our preferred bure well ahead of time. Despite having spoken to the Reservations Clerk in person 11 months ago, despite having corresponded via email regularily regarding our annual booking, despite having email confirmation of our specified bure being available pending our definate dates of arrival, our 2008 booking has been disregarded. Obviously it was not entered in the reservations diary at anytime and our bure has subsequently been allocated to another guest.

Our family is now in the process of organising an alternative Island on the Nadi side of Fiji. I look forward to following up with a review and comparison.

Would we still recommend Toberua? Yes it is a wonderful destination which generally provides great service, food and atmosphere.

Unfortunately this incident and the total lack of effort to rectify a botched booking, the lack of concern, and total lack of any acceptance of responsibility has left a sour taste in the mouths of these returnee guests. We can only hope the new Owner takes measures to insure he retains valuable business rather than allowing this great little resort to be jeopardized by Incompetence and lack of concern.

Stayed June 2007
11 Thank Cheezel
Napier
Reviewed May 16, 2008

This was our 3rd trip back to Toberua Island. We find the accommodation very comfortable and clean. The meals are of a high standard and the staff are all very helpful with any needs you require. The fishing is excellent with a knowledge guide when it come to where the fish are and knowing the reef system. It was yellow fin tuna season this time so hubby managed to catch a couple of them also giant Trevalli.
On my 2nd trip I did two dives and enjoyed that so had to go back to do a dive course. I found the dive instructor excellent in getting your confidence and had a great way of teaching. He managed to get me through Open Water and the Advanced Course within a week. Hoping to go back in November and once again be in Polynesian paralises and do some more diving and hubby to do some more fishing.
We enjoyed participating in the Fijian culture and its the staff that make the Island somewhere you would want to return again and again.
There are other activities on the Island and found it hard to manage to try out everything. What we did try we enjoyed doing.
More time next time. Thanks to the Toberua staff who make you feel like one of their family.

• Liked — Very homeley and did not have to lock up anything including doors
  • Disliked — nothing in particular
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BlueeyesNapier
New Zealand
Reviewed May 3, 2008

I have finally registered as a trip advisor member after using the site to do all our trip planning over the past year or so - so I felt it was time to write a few reviews.

My husband and I went for a trip to Toberua for a week - and relaxed so much that we couldn't bear to leave and ended up calling work from the island and extending our trip for a week.

The island and accommodation is quite rustic but it is the staff that make this destination truly unique. Hudson couldn't be more of a legend - and same can be said for Zac, Ratu, Bale & of course the Toberua Serenaders! Not to mention every other member of staff whose names slip our mind at present.

When you arrive at Toberua it is like being welcomed into the Toberua family. Everyone knows your name and each night the Serenaders come and sing you a song at your Bure. I'm a pretty fussy eater and the kitchen prepared me special meals everyday without the slightest hint of an eye roll.

I know that our trip was a while ago now but by the looks of the other feedback nothing has changed. Although I do hear that they have a new pool - yay!!!

We will definitely return to Toberua (probably every second year for the rest of our lives) could not recommend highly enough.

If you have a hectic and stressful life Toberua is a place where you can truly unwind - the only caveat - make sure you stay AT LEAST a week - or 2 if you can!

• Liked — The amazing staff
  • Disliked — The tidal beach
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CredoKiwi
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2008

It is hard to say anything which has not already been said in previous reviews.

Hudson, the reservation manager is very efficient in organising your stay before arriving on the island. Hudson also especially loves kids on the island, so if you have kids they will really be looked after by Hudson.

From the second you arrive you feel you are a million miles away from home with the staff welcoming you with beautiful singing and some local hospitality.

This was our second stay and it was as every bit enjoyable as the first.

The best thing about the island is the staff. They are so warm, friendly and good natured. Anything you want to do, they will accommodate at a moment's notice - maybe some fishing, crabbing, a boat ride around the island and other traditional customs like weaving and coconut demonstrations. They get to know you by name very quickly which is really nice.

Lala is known as King of the Kids and whilst we were on the island there were many kids who were entertained by Lala with some great activities including the hilarious watermelon cracking game. It was great fun to see the staff have a crack - Bale was very funny and Luse was spot on everytime at getting to the watermelon and cracking it!

After the staff, the next best thing is the food. Great breakfasts with a different 'special' every day, a three course lunch and a four course different. We were there 7 nights and not one dish was ever duplicated during the time we were there. The staff will find you wherever you may be to take your selections from the lunch and dinner menus - mid-morning for the lunch menu and mid-afternoon for dinner. And if by some remote chance you would prefer something not on the menu, the staff will accommodate your request.

So here is a typical day:

Wake up and head off to breakfast, then lie by the pool, head off for some morning tea, then lie by the pool and read a book, head off to lunch, have a nice afternoon siesta, head off for pre-dinner drinks before dinner and finally a few drinks at the bar to finish off a great day in paradise before heading off to bed. If you want to be a little more active there are plenty of activities to participate in if you want.

You even have the opportunity of playing volleyball with the staff each afternoon - but be warned - they are very good players, especially Long Joe!

We can't wait to return - we love Toberua.

• Stayed April 2008
6 Thank Travelwriter63
Brisbane
Reviewed January 25, 2008

My wife and I spent 5 days at Toberua Island in January 2008. It was fantastic. I'll just note a few points rather than write pages and pages:

* The staff bend over backwards to ensure that you have a great time.
* Toberua doesn't get much rain compared to Suva.
* The island bures act as a bit of a wind barrier between the north and southern ends, so if it's very breezy on one side, it's usually very calm on the other.
* Keep the lids on your toothpaste as there are tiny ants that come in from outside looking for food. The bathrooms in each bure are indoor/outdoor.
* If you don't eat much for breakfast like me, you can probably skip out on it. It'll save you $15 each per day. Morning tea is at 10am, so if you can hang out till then....
* Lunches are 3 course. Dinners are 4 course. Lunches and dinners are different every day.
* Children aren't banned, so they are accommodated. If you are a family, then this island is well suited to you taking your children... but if you don't like kids, then there's no guarantee that there won't be any here.
* There are plenty of free and non free activities... Free activities include: reef golf, putt putt golf, coral reef viewing, basket weaving demonstration, volleyball, snorkelling and so on. Non free activities include: village trip, scuba diving, day trip to Suva, fishing expeditions, picnic lunches on the neighbouring island, etc.
* If you're interested in the Fijian culture, then the village trip is a must.
* This really isn't a huge party island with blaring music and drunken teenagers.
* You don't need insect repellent when on the island.
* There's no TV, limited Internet and phones. There is some Vodafone mobile reception - only 1 or 2 bars though.
* Bring ear plugs! Sometimes the wind at night can be noisy, or the local birds very chirpy at 5am! :)
* The sea snakes aren't poisonous.
* There are so many hermit crabs, be careful where you walk!
* The pool is salt chlorinated, but isn't heated. In fact, the water in January in the ocean was warmer than the pool itself!
* The island is going through some bure renovations in January 2008 and then some pool renovations afterwards.
* If you are a beer lover, then be prepared for only 3 selections: Fiji Bitter, Fiji Gold and Corona. They've got every other mixer stocked and a large wine list though.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Quest Apartments-Suva
Five Princes Hotel
Five Princes Hotel
#5 of 12 in Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!