“Tranquil & terrific”

Toberua Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toberua Island
“Tranquil & terrific”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife & I thoroughly enjoyed our eight nights in this little piece of paradise. I now understand the gushing praise given in previous reviews. Even though we arrived at night (in the dark), the next morning staff greeted us by name.
The bures are enormous. The meals, which are now compulsory and are paid for upon check-out, were all very good. Three-course lunches and four-course dinners, usually with two options (sometimes three) for each course. One dessert choice is always fresh fruit (with cheese, in the dinner menu). Meal times are 8-9am, 1-2pm & 7:30-9:00pm.
I’ll flesh out a few details that I didn’t understand before I had been. The bathroom is completely indoors. It has large glass-panelled doors opening out on to a small courtyard. When showering, you have a view out to sea over the courtyard wall. The resort’s activities aren’t all available every day. “Path putting” refers to the putt(ing) done in golf, not a placing of something as in “put” (call me dumb on that count!). The course follows the earthen/sand paths and has nine flagged holes. Path putting was offered twice during our stay, and reef golf wasn’t available at all. On most days a boat goes out on a snorkelling trip 11:00am-12:20ish. That snorkelling was excellent. Sometimes one of the staff blokes dives down and points out interesting details or brings up a starfish for you to handle. The resort has a small gym hut containing dumbells, a treadmill, a bike and an elliptical cross-trainer. Snorkelling from the island shore, there are plenty of fish to see but it's a fair swim out to the coral & anemones. There are plenty of kayaks, a standing paddle-board and a Hobie Cat. Near the resort’s bar (a convivial place with friendly staff!) are table tennis, bocce, darts and a pool table. There are also shelves full of books and board games. Guests are welcome to play volleyball with the staff at 5:00pm. Wi-fi is available only in a certain area (near the bar); it doesn’t extend across much of the island. 24 hours' use cost us FJD20 (about AUD12 at the time) and there are cheaper multiple-day deals.
For dinner on our tenth wedding anniversary, our table was placed out on the end of a pier, giving a magical experience of dining by candlelight under the stars. The wait-staff and singers all happily traipsed out to us and back. We were also treated to a (free) cake, specially iced with our names & the event - despite our earlier insistence that we didn’t want one. Wonderful. We hope to return to terrific Toberua.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adam G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have just returned from a week-long stay on Toberua where we enjoyed every single minute. It was the most relaxing holiday we have ever had. There is enough to do with swimming, snorkeling, diving, sailing the hobi cat, kayaking, fishing, playing volleyball with staff and going on the great excursion to a local village. Or forget all that, and just lie in the hammock outside your bure and listen to the waves a couple of meters away. Food is great with choices that always include some nice local fish. The serenaders who entertain during dinner (as well as at other times) also contribute to enjoyable meal times. But what really made our holiday special was the extremely friendly and cheerful staff. They knew everyone’s name and with their friendly smiles and caring attitude they managed to make us all feel special. Playing volleyball (along with lots of laughter) with them was a highlight. Thanks to all Toberua staff. We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Borta
美利滨
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Excellent food;
Excellent staff;
Spectacular views;
Very relaxing;
Excellent place for snorkelling; I would never ever believe I saw pictures of paradise - the picnic islands and the coral around the islands, blue star fish, and Nimo!

Make sure you have enough credit limit in your card. or just work harder man. for your partner or for your family...

Room Tip: all rooms look excellent to me. all is ocean front.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed in June 2012 for a week and from the moment we got there, the staff welcomed us with open arms. They were so friendly and made us feel like we were one big family. The food was so beautiful and they always serenaded us with their beautiful voices. The staff always had a smile on their faces. We went with my sister and her family. A total of 8 of us. 4 adults, 2 10 year old boys and 2 12 year old boys. The boys loved it so much. They would sit at the bar and order their drinks and there was plenty for them to do. The staff made them feel special. We visited one of the villages which was so well organised. It was great to see their culture. We visited the school and they did a special song for us followed by a welcome ceremony in the hall. We will definitely visit Toberua again and we loved that it was so private and we felt like we were the only ones there. It was sad to leave. My sister and I even shed some tears when we said our goodbyes!!!!! See you again and hopefully soon. BULLA!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have found our little slice of heaven! We booked this place after reading such good things on here and we are glad that we did. We decided on Fiji as we needed a week to relax and spend some quality time together and Toberua was perfect for just that! From the moment you arrive on the Island you feel relaxed and I did worry that I would not be able to switch off in just a week but I did after about 10 mins. I turned my phone off and did not know what was going on in the outside world! The place has a wonderful ‘home away from home’ feel and when we asked one of the housekeepers if it was ok for us to move our sun loungers down onto the sand, they responded with ‘you can do what you like, it’s your home’ That made me smile! The food was lovely, home cooked and we did not eat the same meal twice, the staff were all so friendly and remembered our names from day 1 and I LOVED the fact that we did not have to worry about keys, money or security for the week. We left everything open all of the time and the only thing that I had to worry about was the fact that my book fell apart. We also loved the inside/outside bathroom and the hammocks, perfect for some afternoon reading when you have had too much sun. We stayed in Bure 12A and we think that it was the best one, you can sunbathe right outside and it is very private. My boyfriend and I loved it so much that we have said that we would love to get married there, you can book the entire island out for $4,000 AUD a night. We met some lovely people who we are going to stay in touch with and I cannot recommend this place enough! Toberua Dreaming, I can’t wait to book it again!

The only thing that I would suggest is getting the domestic flight from Nadi to Suva. We got a taxi as the flight had sold out but it took about 4 hours so made the journey quite long. We did get to see some more of Fiji though so that was a plus.

If you are thinking of going to Fiji then this is the place……

Room Tip: 12A, very private and great for some sunbathing in the morning!
4 Thank Shabalicious
Wynyard
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Wow our holiday on Toberua was the most magnificent experience we have ever had in the tropics. From the minute you arrive untill it's time to leave you are treated as valued guests of this island home. Our holiday was just so good. Max and Sandie and all the staff are warm, fun loving and truly amazing. The food was incredible, the snorkeling and scuba diving was brilliant with very talented dive masters. Our dive on sacred reef was very special, really loved seeing the reef sharks! Toberua is definitely a holiday experience that is wonderful for couples & friends. The time spent arround the bar before and after diner was relaxing and enjoyable. We meet some remarkable people here. We are planing to return in 2014! Vinaka Max & Sandie and all the Toberua family.

Room Tip: If you like fresh breeze blowing through your Bure check the weather patterns of that time of year...
1 Thank Goc69
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Toberua is a beautiful island about 30 minutes from Suva. It is small but beautifully presented, the staff were what truly put the icing on the holiday. Never have I been to a resort where the care and the personal service has been better even close to this!
The food was amazing, in 8 days of staying we didn't have a meal twice, presentation was superb.
While the beach is small and not as pristine as other Fijian beaches, it is still clear and clean with plenty to do. The village trip and Picnic Island are a must!
Definitely will be returning someday soon! Thank you Toberua for an excellent stay!

• Stayed January 2013
Five Princes Hotel
Five Princes Hotel
#5 of 13 in Suva
Quest Apartments-Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!