“Best family holiday we have ever had.”

Toberua Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toberua Island
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I can start this review with one phrase 'Wow what a wonderful place' From start to finish all aspects were of 5 star standard. It was great for us adults and our two kids 9 & 5 thought they were in heaven.
When you get off the boat at the dock, the staff meet you and already know you by name. They then walk you through the palm trees to show you the main parts of the island, pool, restaurant, bar where your welcome drinks are. You are then taken to your bure. The bure's are big and super comfortable and well appointed. No tv was what we wanted and the kids didn't miss it at all. The way they open right onto the beach is amazing and we spent heaps of time in the hammock.
Plenty of relax time but also plenty to do. The kids were never bored. Swimming, fishing, snorkeling, sailing, diving, kayaking, path putting and more.
The food was fantastic. Every meal was excellent and super fresh. Probably the only one they could improve was the cheese and fruit plate. It is pretty cool how they take your order from the ever changing menu a couple of hours before lunch and dinner. If you are out on the water, no worries, they come out on a boat and find you.
All this sounds great, but the people are the best thing. The staff could not be better. So friendly and helpful and great with the kids. We also have never met so many other guests on a holiday. We made friends from USA, NZ, and many from Oz. it was like being on holiday with friends only you hadn't left home with any.
Shelley and Maggie were also fantastic.
I think this gives a good insight into how wonderful Toberua is.
Simply just go
Anthony

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank AnthDan1971

Reviewed September 29, 2012

this is the most stunning place I have ever visited, you could just relax by the pool, in the bar or just in your own bura and deck area or keep busy swimming,snorkeling,diving or enjoy the day trips that are avaliable. I did a bit of all. The food was to die for and the way they take your orders is unique, and all the staff were fantastic, always cheerful and happy to help. I recommend this to everyone.I will be going back, best holiday ever.

Room Tip: as there are only 15 any of them looked good to me
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katryna m
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I wish we'd known about Toberua for our honeymoon! We just got back from a fabulous 7 day holiday. If you're coming from NZ, don't take AirNZ. Air Pacific flies direct from Auckland to Suva (3 hrs) so it's really easy to get here!! Our flight was at 8am and we were at the resort in time for lunch.

The place appears just like their website. I've posted a bunch of my own, as well. I actually got teary-eyed on our last night when the staff sang to us! Although I'd had 2 Fiji bitters by then...!

Here's what we loved:

1. you can participate in all of the activities OR you can hang out in your buré. We chose the latter and it was just wonderful. We did NOTHING except read a ton of books, go swimming, snorkeling and kayaking. It was really relaxing. Other guests were really social and had a blast. I liked that you could do either and still be made to feel at home. I hate places that pressure you into participating (like our honeymoon). We also had room service 3x and it was lovely.

2. our buré was #2 and was huge -- I think the dimensions are something like 27 ft x 30 ft. We had loungers on our deck as well as on the beach. So convenient!

3. the food was delicious. I'd hoped for more seafood but we enjoyed plenty of fish. A few reviewers have said that breakfast was boring. Basically you got fruit, cereal, yogurt, muffins, toast as well as one hot selection (usually eggs). I didn't mind as it gave me an opportunity to eat healthy since lunch and dinners are three courses each! And the eggs were outstanding.

4. I was really impressed with the table service. I was raised by a caterer, so it's a real pet peeve of mine when servers take my husband's plate before mine, and the staff always waited until we were both done. Excellent! Bring these guys to Auckland!

5. no television, newspapers, magazines. There is wifi available (for $$) but I'm online 24/7 and LOVED the excuse to disconnect.

6. the burés have beautiful shutters and massive sliding shutter doors- I want those in my house!!

7. the housekeeping involved simple but effective sweeping, bed making, etc. It was nice to walk into your buré and not have it reek of harsh cleansers or air fresheners.

8. Shelley and the staff! Everyone has raved about the staff and they're right! Amazing!

9. Pure Fiji toiletries. Oh YEAH. I usually save my hotel swag for my guest bath at home. Not this time! I loved the products! And the outdoor/indoor shower was amazing! At home, my shower "overlooks" the wardrobe and a litter box. At Toberua, I was the ocean and palm trees!

10. We had a couples massage. It was one of the best massages I've ever had!

Here are three really minor suggestions:

1. each day we receive a charming "Your Daily News" sheet which describes the activities of the day and mealtimes. It would be helpful to describe anything special, like the BBQ and Kava night, or the fact that there's no singing (just hymns) on Sunday. Really minor, I know.

2. include small bottles of olive oil on the tables for those who don't want to use butter.

3. invest in a treadmill for guests to use in the gym to burn off all of the awesome food!

Thanks for an incredible week!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BlueKitsy
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I booked for 9 days for myself and 2 children ( 12 and 16).
I had been to Fiji about 8 years ago and stayed on a huge resort and hated it, i wanted somewhere natural where the kids could get up and wander around and explore safely and i could relax and swim.
I was worried they would be bored, but they weren't, they loved it.
we did the trip to the village, great fun, and very humbling.
we did Picnic island twice it was so good,my son saw clown fish and blue starfish.
I had 2 massage's and facials they were so good!
The highlight of the kids day was playing volleyball with the staff each day at 5pm, not to be missed, the are very good, but encourage everyone to join in, ( i sat on the bench with my afternoon cuppa and watched!).
The staff truly make this resort, my son was never alone, staff would soon join him to play putt putt, or fish,or climb a tree and show them how to open a coconut!
Only a couple of downers, the gym is just a bike and rowing machine, so don't take workout gear like i did, waste of time, and the pool was cold, the sea was warmer.
Also i made the mistake of just booking the resort and flights to Nadi, then found the connecting flight to Suva was a 5 hour wait.
You can get them to marry up, so suggest you check before you book, otherwise its a very long trip.
I loved this holiday, we all cried when we left, the staff are such geniune people, it makes you look at yourself a bit more.
We will return and stay even longer next time.
Hi to the band, always entertained us and made us laugh, miss you Masi lots!!!!!

Room Tip: Bure's 4-11 are on the windy side. 3-12 calm side. When we stayed no 4 was too windy to sit out...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank juliet d
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Toberua was absolutely wonderful. If you are looking for a quiet, charming, great service, upscale resort, this is the place. This is our 4th resort since we arrived in Fiji 2 months ago. It exceeded our expectations. At first, I was worried about the size of the island but we found ourselves entertained with the available activities or just relaxing on the hammock. The rooms are very clean and all have breathtaking views. The staff makes it a point to know you and your family by name and are very attentive to any of the guests need. The service is what was most impressive. Since I been in Fiji, that's the one thing that I find resorts lack - good service. Toberua does not. The staffs warm, friendly smiles made requests easy. We also liked the fact that our kids can run around the island free and not worry about them getting lost or taken or anything like that.

My son, who is a very picky eater, LOVED the food and we did too. I couldn't believe he was actually eating with joy. He usually sits around complains then cries about having to eat. The Toberua chefs made it so easy by cooking delicious meals.

A huge VINAKA to all the staff members for their service. Congratulations Shelley on a well ran resort. We will definitely be back and will be recommending Toberua to others.

Diana S.

Room Tip: I would choose the Burres on the "beach side" of the island. During strong winds, the bea...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DBSSuva
Reviewed August 31, 2012

To summarize the resort is one of the best I have ever been and any improvements are limited to island location. We were there for our honeymoon and both my wife and I left with lasting memories and a few new friendships.

Pros:

The resort has the most amazing staff I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Even though this resort only had a handful of guests, the staff knew everyone names and made you feel like family.

The island is very nice and the burés are up to date and beautiful.

Food was amazing (I do not use this word often in my vocabulary) the chef is Fijian and trained in multiple other resorts outside of Fiji.

Even though the island is small we were able to easily separate ourselves and find intimate things to do. In addition we were able to spend time with other guests in the bar/lounge area and interact in a family oriented setting. It really does not feel at all like a hotel that you are just a visitor passing through.

Cons: (You can always improve and everyone has different ideas)

The island is on the Suva side which gets more rainy weather than the Nani side. This can cause the weather to be a little cooler, more cloudy and more tropical rains. Since we spent 2 weeks prior on the Nani side we did notice a 2-2 1/2 degree Celsius difference but no issues with rain.

When I thought of Fiji I expected the most amazing beaches and water. The island does have a good beach, but not what I was expecting coming from the Mamanuca islands.

I can not say thank you enough to all of the staff on the island for truly making our trip one of the best They alone allowed for multiple of these stars.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a buré on the main side of the island as the beach and dining areas. Burés 3, 2...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pesto242
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had an absolutely amazing time there. I loved every thing about this place, everything was amazing from the beginning to the end. What makes this place so special is the staff and the way they treat you.

It is a very cozy place, Bures (rooms) are so beautiful, the view is stunning. Be ready to gain lots of weight because the food is absolutely delicious.

Thanks to Maggy, Ratuk, Zak, Pita.... all the staff who makes our honeymoon so special.

Pegah

Tanoa Plaza Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 13 in Suva
Town House Apartment Hotels Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!