“The trip of a lifetime!!!”

Toberua Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toberua Island
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
“The trip of a lifetime!!!”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We just returned from a 7 night stay at Toberua Island. Ever since returning home we've been dreaming about how to go back!

Our stay was amazing!! From the moment we stepped off the boat, we were greeted by first name and treated like family! The staff was so warm and friendly and tended to our every need! My husband's birthday fell during our stay and the chefs went out of their way to make a special birthday cake which was delivered fijian style... with lots of smiling faces and music!!

The rest of the food was spectacular as well... 3 course meals for lunch and 4 courses for dinner! I was a little worried before we went as I don't like seafood and we were going to the middle of the south pacific... but the food choices were great with plenty of options for the land-lovers (like me...) and my husband raved about the seafood entrees! Don't get me started about the desserts and fresh fruit!!... Yummy!... I'm still trying to find fresh papaya like that here in Oklahoma... without luck!

Our Bure was clean, well appointed, comfortable and steps away from the water! We loved relaxing in the loungers just watching the ocean!!... I still hear the water lapping against the beach and I'm still dreaming of those amazing sunsets! Not for one moment did we miss TV, computers etc...We were almost sad to turn our iphones back on upon returning to the States!

We did some snorkeling during our stay which was fun and colorful... but the highlight was learning to scuba dive. My husband talked me into it, so we did the resort course. Nathan and the dive staff were incredible. They made me feel safe and prepared. He even held my hand through our first real dive until I felt comfortable. It was awesome and I highly recommend it!

I would highly recommend some spa time as well! The massages were very relaxing!!

For anyone looking for a relaxing, comfortable, intimate tropical get-away...Toberua Island won't dissapoint!

Thanks to the owners, management and staff of Toberua for turning our Birthday/ Anniversary get-away into the trip of a lifetime!! We hope to return some day!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nancwhite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Auckland
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We have now experienced 3 idyllic trips to Toberua Island – a family holiday, romantic anniversary and recently a fabulous Fijian Xmas and New Year.
This is a gorgeous private island resort, made unique by the friendly Fijian staff,who went out of their way to make our stay so special. Being our first ever Xmas away from home, our expectations were well and truly exceeded with the perfect blend of Fijian and traditional celebrations and exquisite cuisine. New Year was equally amazing.
Compared to our other Fijian holidays, this place is simply the best, we have never felt so relaxed and well looked after, and had the perfect balance of being able to do as much or as little as we liked. We don't need to look anywhere else now for our next holiday - we know we'll be back to Toberua !

This place is paradise and we will be back very soon

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Toberua Island is absolutely breathtaking!!!!!!!
We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was lovely. The location is just PERFECT!! The food is amazing and the cocktails are delicious!!
Unfortunately the only negative was a sea snake entering our bure and digesting on a piece of our luggage! I was mortified and afraid to sleep for the rest of my time there :-/

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnaSilic
Gold Coast
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We travelled to Toberua mid-February 2011 from the Gold Coast Australia. We can't imagine how a negative word could be uttered about this gorgeous resort. A holiday to Toberua is a true escape from the hustle and bustle of modern living. Your perspective on life is re-adjusted; away from PCs, phones and TVs and back to the beauties of nature and infectious glow of the Fijian people. The staff are simply incredible. Never without a smile and greeting on a first-name basis. You are serenaded by talented musicians at the bar and every meal. All whilst gazing out on the beautiful Fijian seascape. The food is excellent. The daily snorkelling and/or diving trips are fantastic. The rooms are gorgeous. Although we met some lovely people you can maintain your privacy if desired. We truly can’t understand why the resort isn’t rated at least 4 if not more stars. Thank you so much Maggie, Emori, Nathan, Bale, Mini, Charles and the countless staff that made our Toberua experience one to be cherished forever.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jodiegoldcoast
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We have just returned from a week in Toberua Island with our two young sons (9 months and 2.5 years). This was our second trip to Fiji - we went in January 2010 to the Intercontinental on the Coral Coast and loved it - but we wanted to see the real Fiji so we thought we would try an island. My husband found Toberua on Trip Advisor and we booked it based on the reviews.
It is a beautiful island and the staff are wonderful. The food was great. They looked after us really well and we felt very welcome. They were (like all Fijians I have met) wonderful with our children.
But I would have to say a few negative comments unfortunately - getting to Toberua is quite difficult as you can only fly into Nadi from Australia. The flights to Suva (its a 3-4 hour drive otherwise) are not very frequent. We turned up for our flight which had been changed to 2 hours later or something, it was quite funny really. Then a dodgy taxi turned up with no car seats or seat belts or air conditioning... to drive you to the jetty. From here its another half an hour or so to reach the island by boat. But actually most of this is going down river and the Island is only a couple of km's off the coast of Vitu Levu.
The bures are nice, but pretty basic really - they were starting on much needed renovations on the one next to us just after we arrived. We had to ask them to stop after a couple of days because it was so noisy - which they did. It was very hot there and although there is some respite from the seabreeze sometimes, we really could have done with air-con. Especially as there were only two ceiling fans and one was on "island time". The rooms were serviced twice a day and plenty of fresh towels were given to us. But we were not given any toilettries other than a tiny shampoo/conditioner/body lotion when we first arrived. There was tea and coffee making facilities but these were not cleaned by the staff and the sink was blocked so it made it hard to rinse things off - which if we didn't do it ants would be everywhere.
As I am writing this it is sounding much worse than it was. The pool was lovely, the beach was lovely and the food was lovely. I think it would be better for couples than a young family.As our 2.5 year old was getting bored and running off at every opportunity. Luckily we took a portable DVD player as we needed it for him. I wish I had taken a CD player too. I don't mind not having TV on an island but we had CDs and could only play them on the DVD player which sounded rubbish.
We didn't do many trips - my husband went snorkelling one day but didn't rave about it. Then we went to Suva one day (apart from visiting Pure Fiji I wouldn't even bother going there, seriously). The best trip we did was to a Fijian village which was a quick boat trip away. They made us very welcome (kept trying to give us cava) and although (obviously) wanting a donation for the village and to sell handicrafts to us, it was great. Not like when we went to one on the sugar cane train on the Coral Coast last trip - that was terrible!
There were other trips available but to be honest we were too lazy and tired with two young ones to bother! So we probably didn't make the most of it in some respects.
Anyway over all I would say it is a lovely island and definitely worth a visit especially if you are a couple - or a group of people, but it is a bit run down (although I think they are definitely working on it) and I wasn't really surprised it was quite empty when all these minor things are considered in a market where Fiji is suffering.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 11pipers
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We found an extremely special place in the island of Toberua, being perfect in everyway.The staff were fantastic which enhanced the overal experience for us both.If you are looking for an island for either relaxing or activities this is the place to be. Please don't hesitate to add this to your "Bucket List"as you will not forgive yourselves otherwise. A huge thank you to all the staff for our lasting memories,we look forward to returning to the isalnd of Toberua in the near future.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CbjS2010
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 3, 2011

This small & beautiful island is just amazing - we´ve (2 adults & 1 child - 2 years) spent 8 days and it was pure luxury!
Great location, smiling, friendly and helpfull staff, gourmet food, drinks & wine, great music and a lot of diff. activities like snorkeling, diving, picnic trip, kayaking, golf., volleyball, crab-race etc.
A place we MUST go back to soon again!

IT IS SIMPLY JUST WONDERFUL AND WE WILL HIGLY RECOMMEND IT!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Quest Apartments-Suva
Five Princes Hotel
Five Princes Hotel
#5 of 12 in Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!